Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,380 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:26 AM

Why Are Nigerian Companies Stealing From The Poor Masses? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Are Nigerian Companies Stealing From The Poor Masses? (676 Views)

World Bank Blacklists 58 Nigerian Companies, Individuals Over Corruption / Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? / My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Companies Stealing From The Poor Masses? by Uchefrancis16(m): 4:52pm On Mar 20, 2020
I keep wondering why the so called big companies in Nigeria despite all their huge revenue still resort to stealing and scamming innocent Nigerians/poor masses.

I use MTN Beta Talk on my phone for calls. For those not conversant with MTN beta talk, it’s a tariff plan which gives you 250% bonus for every recharge you make. Assuming I recharge N1000, my main balance is credited with N1000, while my bonus balance will be credited with N2,500. Now the thing is, the call rate is quite high but that’s not the issue here.

When you make calls, the first 60 seconds is charged from your main balance at the rate of 0.45kobo per second (27 naira per min) while subsequent minutes will be billed from your bonus balance.

THE ISSUE NOW IS, sometimes MTN dubiously deducts from your main balance while you still have thousands in your bonus balance. I noticed this but kept quiet until today. I had over N500 left in my bonus account, this people left it and zapped over N400 from my main balance. I called in to complain, the customer care agent couldn’t say anything other than “I have registered it with the technical support team. We will get back to you in 24 hours” (trust me the MTN I know will never get back to you. That’s how cruel they are. They rob you and never refund even if the matters ends up in your Favour.

SECONDLY, NIGERIAN BANKS.

I deposited a check of 208,000 naira into my Stanbic IBTC bank account, after which I transferred the same amount from Stanbic to my zenith bank account. I would have deposited the check directly into zenith, but Stanbic was the one closest to me.

Normally, my balance at Stanbic aught to be the same as it was before depositing the check and transferring out the exact value to zenith. But that wasn’t the case. I realized in the sms alert that extra N208,000 was missing. Meaning I was debited twice for the transfer to zenith.

Now, this is normal. As sometimes, mistakes happen and we are debuted twice for a single transaction.

HOWEVER, I see this as a criminal intent since I didn’t get an sms alert for the second debit. And details of the second debit didn’t reflect in my transaction history even in the mobile app. Also, for 8 good days I kept quiet, stanbic never reversed the error. Earlier today, I decided to recharge and call Stanbic. I didn’t make any complaint but rather requested for my account statement to be emailed to me and hung up. 30 minutes later I got the statement in my email.

In the statement, my balance turned out to be magically correct. No traces of the double debit. I quickly logged into the mobile app, and just like magic, they have updated my balance without any trace of the initial error. Wow!! Had I not known, I would have lost 208,000 just like that to this legit criminals.

As for Ecobank those one are born yahoo bank. Access bank matter is for another day. GTB nko? We better not go there.

What is really happening?

Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies Stealing From The Poor Masses? by Queenttoast01: 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2020
Because they must steal from somewhere
Re: Why Are Nigerian Companies Stealing From The Poor Masses? by olaric(m): 6:09pm On Mar 20, 2020
The reason most of them declare jumbo profits

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News!! / If You Had N1.5M.... / Earn Money From Admob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.