Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 (56651 Views)

Naira Unification: Forex Inflow Rises By 28% To $1.41bn / Naira Now Undervalued After Float, Bank Of America Says / Its Now =N=380 to $1 CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Biafrarep(m): 9:17am On Mar 21, 2020
SMH, and the sh!thole continues to sink deeper into the abyss.
Poverty skyrocketing!
Insecurity skyrocketing!
Unemployment skyrocketing!
Infrastructure totally delapidated!

What kind of hellhole is this??
Is it by force to remain together since Nigeria has proven to be an irredeemable scam??
How long can we all continue to suffer like this when we can do the right thing by either restructuring or breaking up this unfortunate country??

What a useless country!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by pacespot(m): 9:17am On Mar 21, 2020
The multiple exchange rates policy was the reason why I opened a domiciliary account, because I can't afford to exchange my dollars to naira at the official price 307 while the same dollar is being sold to me at 360 or above. The multiple exchange rates policy has only benefited the rich who have access to purchase dollars at the official price, and this has only served to widen the gap between the rich and poor while discouraging foreign investors. But the current unified exchange rate should be well monitored to avoid further collapse in naira.

3 Likes

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Qadaffi2idiamin: 9:20am On Mar 21, 2020
After denying devaluation...

They went ahead to devalue... What a national embarrassment
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Mizwisdom(f): 9:23am On Mar 21, 2020
MartinsD12:

I can't worry about that, but what of people who don't know these things like we do, they will end up buying these things at high prices, the business class are wicked now I understand why people see them as money ritualist

Believe me even those ones won't buy because there's no purchasing power for that. My only advice is for traders to start looking for cheaper options with considerable value otherwise they will be thrown out of business. People who were using four phones will stick to one phone that accepts 4 sims because it's cheaper. It's a good policy to curb excesses but my grievance is that government is once again relying on the masses to sort it out of the mess it put us into. They will never cut their salaries and allowances, they will still buy the cars they get yearly, and maintain their entourages but we are the ones who they pour the burden of sorting the economy out.
APC will be thrown out in 2023, not because of the policies but because the masses now know that they are a bunch of selfish, wicked leaders.

4 Likes

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Mizwisdom(f): 9:26am On Mar 21, 2020
pacespot:
The multiple exchange rates policy was the reason why I opened a domiciliary account, because I can't afford to exchange my dollars to naira at the official price 307 while the same dollar is being sold to me at 360 or above. The multiple exchange rates policy has only benefited the rich who have access to purchase dollars at the official price, and this has only served to widen the gap between the rich and poor while discouraging foreign investors. But the current unified exchange rate should be well monitored to avoid further collapse in naira.

Naira will surely collapse for now but will stabilize when we change our dependence on foreign goods.
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by CodeTemplar: 9:34am On Mar 21, 2020
After Dangote has finished building his refinery abi.... The man enjoyed billions in subsidized exchange rates before they crashed the gap. Good for him

3 Likes

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by sapientia(m): 9:36am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:
What this means is that dollar was exchanged BY CBN for importer AT N357 and N307 for exporter. This means you you pay more Naira to get dollar if you are importing. This goes for payment of school fees abroad and other goods and services. Black market operators also get dollar from CBN at 357 to 1 dollars. That is why at black markets the exchange rate hovers around 358 to 362 to one dollar during the period. Government receives dollar from the sales of her oil which is kept by CBN. Projected budget of government for 2020 is based on oil benchmark price of 57 dollar per barrel. The price of oil has fallen in the global market to below $30. This means that government revenue has fallen substantially as oil accounts for about 90% of export earnings. In order to get more Naira to pay for internal spendings in the country such as payment of salaries and contractors, government must get more Naira. In doing so, quantity of Naira to be exchanged for dollar must be increased. Government doesn’t want to use the term “devaluation” hence it used exchange rate equalization. This means that no more 307, 357 Naira exchange to the dollar anymore but N380 for all multiple exchanges to a dollar. So our official rate to one dollar is now N380. Black market operators will be selling at amount higher than this may be N400 to one dollar depending on the availability of dollar in the market. Remember that over 50 oil cargo of Nigeria is on the see without willing buyers ad the demand for oil has reduced in the international market. The price is on the free fall because of Saudi and Russia price and output war. If the price of oil falls further to say $20 per barrel, Naira nearly collapse. Government may ban importation of less essential goods. It may go and borrow money from from international financial institutions such as IMF with stringent measures. It may devalue the currency further. Those with fixed income will be worse off. Prices of goods and services will go up. Demand for goods and services will fall. It will affect company revenue and lead to job loses.

Why don't you post much on NL.

I really don't know much about all these but this your post cleared a lot of things.

Gracias.

b03liberty:
Thank you for your dedication. Me , na our electoral law is want to be review and capital punishment for corrupt public office holder

Our electoral Law is the last Hope now. If this rubber Stamp NASS can do the needful and at least give us electronic voting, our problems are solved by half.

No matter the hacking or rigging, we can have 50% clowns and 50% sane leaders.

But the present arrangement gives us 100% clowns
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by OChimex: 9:36am On Mar 21, 2020
Kingspin:

Mad people na now daybreak?

Multiple FX trade is cooperative nepotism and wickedness, not just monopoly.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if a black man is below human in thinking. All the problems in this country is self inflicted. Very stupid low thinking humans full this country.

They sell dollars 307 to individuals who outrageously sell at 367 - 370. In fact they inflate this prices at will thereby causing unnecessary inflation and unsteady prices of commodities.

What arrant nonsense.

The best thing to do now is, let dollar selling be between CBN and Money deposit banks, and let the masses access dollars easily thru the banks, in that way there will be stability in both exchange rates, goods and services. Then the economy will stably grow.

4 Likes

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Toseenlove: 9:42am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:
What this means is that dollar was exchanged BY CBN for importer AT N357 and N307 for exporter. This means you you pay more Naira to get dollar if you are importing. This goes for payment of school fees abroad and other goods and services. Black market operators also get dollar from CBN at 357 to 1 dollars. That is why at black markets the exchange rate hovers around 358 to 362 to one dollar during the period. Government receives dollar from the sales of her oil which is kept by CBN. Projected budget of government for 2020 is based on oil benchmark price of 57 dollar per barrel. The price of oil has fallen in the global market to below $30. This means that government revenue has fallen substantially as oil accounts for about 90% of export earnings. In order to get more Naira to pay for internal spendings in the country such as payment of salaries and contractors, government must get more Naira. In doing so, quantity of Naira to be exchanged for dollar must be increased. Government doesn’t want to use the term “devaluation” hence it used exchange rate equalization. This means that no more 307, 357 Naira exchange to the dollar anymore but N380 for all multiple exchanges to a dollar. So our official rate to one dollar is now N380. Black market operators will be selling at amount higher than this may be N400 to one dollar depending on the availability of dollar in the market. Remember that over 50 oil cargo of Nigeria is on the see without willing buyers ad the demand for oil has reduced in the international market. The price is on the free fall because of Saudi and Russia price and output war. If the price of oil falls further to say $20 per barrel, Naira nearly collapse. Government may ban importation of less essential goods. It may go and borrow money from from international financial institutions such as IMF with stringent measures. It may devalue the currency further. Those with fixed income will be worse off. Prices of goods and services will go up. Demand for goods and services will fall. It will affect company revenue and lead to job loses.

This person will most likely be a professor or a financial expertise.....I easily deduced everything In this wonderful piece...

3 Likes

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Lifestone(m): 9:46am On Mar 21, 2020
Smug4real:

...and you believed that? �
When it comes to currency, there is no magic attached. The country with bargaining chip would always have an upper hand.
We were scammed
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by salt1: 10:05am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:

Economics 101. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by DexterousOne(m): 10:16am On Mar 21, 2020
Biafrarep:
SMH, and the sh!thole continues to sink deeper into the abyss.
Poverty skyrocketing!
Insecurity skyrocketing!
Unemployment skyrocketing!
Infrastructure totally delapidated!

What kind of hellhole is this??
Is it by force to remain together since Nigeria has proven to be an irredeemable scam??
How long can we all continue to suffer like this when we can do the right thing by either restructuring or breaking up this unfortunate country??

What a useless country!!!

If we disintegrate the country
It will still be the same thing.

Nigeria problem is structural
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Samchukwuemeka1: 10:16am On Mar 21, 2020
Why won’t the naira keep falling when the government of the day dnt seem to understand what the excess crude account is meant for. I weep for my country.
panafrican:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/nigerian-central-bank-starts-uniform-exchange-rate-for-naira
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by iLegendd(m): 10:22am On Mar 21, 2020
Not affected, not infected, but just inspected the damage on the masses. Sad!
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by showafrica(m): 10:24am On Mar 21, 2020
Mizwisdom:

If dollar eventually reaches 1000 to 1 dollar, Nigerians will have to look elsewhere for supply of goods than foreign market. It's a good policy that should have been implemented long time ago not at this point when we are already dependent on foreign products. But with time we will learn to look inwards. I wonder how many of us will be able to afford flight tickets, cars, and other things grin grin maybe motorcycles or bicycles will be our new means of mobility. Let's see how it goes

Nigeria needs serious adversity, the system needs reset.
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by BlackPantherCri: 10:40am On Mar 21, 2020
mu2sa2:
In OTHER (not order) words ...

Thank you jare.

The news jumbled up my brain
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by MansoryMX(m): 10:46am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:

If you come out and contest for President, you have my vote.

4 Likes

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Tchange1(m): 10:47am On Mar 21, 2020
CBN stop flexing muscles tell Nigerians the real deal.
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by MondayOsunbor(m): 10:57am On Mar 21, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Yes of course: that's the objective of the prayers.

Perhaps then the suffering will lead to a revolution that'll oust the current crop of visionless leaders.

Think about it.

OK OGA LEAD THE revolution

WE SUPPORT YOU
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Biafrarep(m): 10:58am On Mar 21, 2020
DexterousOne:

If we disintegrate the country
It will still be the same thing.

Nigeria problem is structural

I agree with you that the problem with Nigeria is structural. However, since the northerners have refused to accept restructuring of the country for whatever reason, it is best for the South to breakout of the sh!thole and afterwards, the constituent parts will holistically look at the problems that destroyed Nigeria and structure the new nation in a way that will make it successful or further break it down to more manageable units.

We can't continue going in circle forever!!
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by DexterousOne(m): 11:02am On Mar 21, 2020
Biafrarep:

I agree with you that the problem with Nigeria is structural. However, since the northerners have refused to accept restructuring of the country for whatever reason, it is best for the South to breakout of the sh!thole and afterwards, the constituent parts will holistically look at the problems that destroyed Nigeria and structure the new nation in a way that will make it successful or further break it down to more manageable units.

We can't continue going in circle forever!!

I see
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by YouareaBITCH(f): 11:12am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:

Does Nigerians abroad who send in money here stand to gain or lose from this devaluation?
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by plaetton: 11:22am On Mar 21, 2020
grandstar:
This is a fantastic development and sound economics has been allowed to carry the day.

I suspect the severity of the economic crisis presently before the country may have forced the government's hand.

Nonsense.
How many times in the past has the policy been proposed, when has it ever worked?

Dollar will never be easily available at any official rate to majority of Nigerians. Therefore , the black market will always thrive.

Demand and supply + corruption will always win the day in Nigeria.
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by plaetton: 11:24am On Mar 21, 2020
ehbellsho:
I am trying to understand but still can't/don't get it.
pls, anyone with the summary package?
No need trying to understand. What they are trying to hide from the public is that they are on a gradual and steady course of Naira devaluation.

1 Like

Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by aribs(m): 11:36am On Mar 21, 2020
Ishiewo:
please, sir, what is round-tripping
This is in reference to a practice when certain institutions like banks and possibly individuals are able to obtain forex at a certain rate "officially" and can then turn around to sell same on the black market at a different price thereby making profit on the same
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by agbari1: 11:47am On Mar 21, 2020
Ishiewo:
sir, did you read economics
Yes
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by agbari1: 11:50am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Ishiewo: 11:51am On Mar 21, 2020
aribs:

This is in reference to a practice when certain institutions like banks and possibly individuals are able to obtain forex at a certain rate "officially" and can then turn around to sell same on the black market at a different price thereby making profit on the same
thank you so much for your simplified clarification.
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by MartinsD12(m): 11:55am On Mar 21, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Believe me even those ones won't buy because there's no purchasing power for that. My only advice is for traders to start looking for cheaper options with considerable value otherwise they will be thrown out of business. People who were using four phones will stick to one phone that accepts 4 sims because it's cheaper. It's a good policy to curb excesses but my grievance is that government is once again relying on the masses to sort it out of the mess it put us into. They will never cut their salaries and allowances, they will still buy the cars they get yearly, and maintain their entourages but we are the ones who they pour the burden of sorting the economy out.
APC will be thrown out in 2023, not because of the policies but because the masses now know that they are a bunch of selfish, wicked leaders.

Exactly
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by Ishiewo: 11:56am On Mar 21, 2020
agbari1:

Yes
wow! Kudos. I'm a 100 level economics student. Please, sir, give me some laid-down principles to follow in order to possess this your analytical prowess
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by ignis: 11:59am On Mar 21, 2020
There is a problem.
Re: Central Bank Starts Uniform Exchange Rate For Naira, Now ₦380 To $1 by agbari1: 12:09pm On Mar 21, 2020
Thanks that peoples are following this thread as economy is paramount than politics. I will try to simplify this issue further. Someone asked me a question what are the stringent measures or conditions that may be attached to Nigeria go to international financial institutions such as IMF or Paris Club to address budget deficit? The term budget deficit means , government expenditure is above planned revenue received in a year. There are two broad categories of government expenditure - capital and recurrent. Power, rail, school and hospital constructions are examples of capital expenditures while payments of salaries and travels expenses are examples of recurrent expenditure. In any healthy economy, capital expenditure is higher than recurrent one. In nigeria, recurrent expenditure is around 70% of the total budget. Going to the real issue, what type of stringent conditions that may be attached to government borrowing from the international bodies? The conditions could be: remove all of oil subsidy and other subsidies, increase the price of power consumption, increase in taxes, devaluation of currency, increase in import duties, freezing of salaries. Some lenders such as China may request that government give them concessions - exclusive rights to operate a certain sector of the economy. For example, China has taken over the airports of Zambia to be managed for the next 100 years. Chinese is the head of Zambia police right now. China has exclusive rights for lumbering in Liberia. Nigeria economy is a very bad shape. If oil price fall continue fo the next 6 months, Naira exchange rate may jump to N1000 to 1 dollar. The antidote to this is if there is fall in import bills. The higher the propensity to import the higher the pressure on the Naira. If Coronavirus hit Nigeria, there is going to be a serious socio-economic dislocation with unbearable surge in crime wave. Let me stop here

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts / Pics Of Crying Emeka Offor Being Consoled By Dignitaries At His Father's Burial / Photos From Aliko Dangote's 60th Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.