Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did (1595 Views)

Artisan Who Survived Ikoyi Building Collapse Reveals What He Did / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 1:19am On Mar 22, 2020
4days ago, our landlord came with some people believing to be ikeja electric staff to disconnect our without giving us one tangible reason as to why it was disconnected neither given us warning prior to the disconnection and up till date, nobody has addressed us on the issue. All efforts to reach the landlord proved abortive.

Note: he had given all of us quit notice before the disconnection to pack out at the end of April but we reported him at the mediation centre.

What should we do as regards to the disconnection our light?
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 22, 2020
Did you pay him for energy bills?
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Makavelli25: 2:11am On Mar 22, 2020
Leave his house jeje And stop ranting

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by cenaman(m): 2:39am On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
4days .

what you should do is to pack out asap.
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Hotfreez: 2:40am On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
4days ago, our landlord came with some people believing to be ikeja electric staff to disconnect our without giving us one tangible reason as to why it was disconnected neither given us warning prior to the disconnection and up till date, nobody has addressed us on the issue. All efforts to reach the landlord proved abortive.

Note: he had given all of us quit notice before the disconnection to pack out at the end of April but we reported him at the mediation centre.

How many months rent do you owe?
Let me know so I can give you the cheapest way to solve this.
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Nobody: 2:52am On Mar 22, 2020
I go build house finish.
Then when i give my so called tenant quit notice, e go rush go meet mediators. What nonsense?

Leave the mans house na ahn ahn!
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by KaBabs1: 5:51am On Mar 22, 2020
Interesting
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 7:37am On Mar 22, 2020
CoronaVirusRelo:
Did you pay him for energy bills?
no. We pay directly to phcn. We does not share light with him

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
no. We pay directly to phcn. We does not share light with him

He must be mad then.

For what reason?

I guess their is more to the story. Something . Just have happened that you not disclosing. He can't just go haywire
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 7:41am On Mar 22, 2020
Hotfreez:

How many months rent do you owe?
Let me know so I can give you the cheapest way to solve this.

i have never owened him before. He served us the quit notice last year December while my rent expires end of January 2020. No tenant is oweing him and had renewed their rent before he gave quit notice
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 7:42am On Mar 22, 2020
Makavelli25:
Leave his house jeje
And stop ranting
I am not ranting but seeking for advice. I am not a troublesome tenant. Thanks for your contribution tho
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Hotfreez: 7:51am On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
i have never owened him before. He served us the quit notice last year December while my rent expires end of January 2020. No tenant is oweing him and had renewed their rent before he gave quit notice

The guy is an idiot. Go back to the Mediation centre and report him there that he has removed your electricity cables and he's threatening you.

I suggest you begin to look for another house though. Use the rent Y I would have paid him to look for a better apartment.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 8:23am On Mar 22, 2020
CoronaVirusRelo:

He must be mad then.

For what reason?

I guess their is more to the story. Something . Just have happened that you not disclosing. He can't just go haywire
let me explain in details. He's not the landlord per say but the son of the our late landlord. Trouble started when he packed into the compound last year July. 2 months after he packed in, he noticed the water corporation were not bringing BILL and demanded to know how water bill is being paid. We told him water corporation has not been bringing BILL (Not only our house but entire neighbourhood o). 2days later, he came with a water bill of 7months which he claimed he got from water cooperation. We agreed to pay it but twice. We contributed the half of the money, gave him but he rejected it...claiming it must be ones and retured our money.
2days later, he came with a plumber to disconnect all the tenants from the water leaving only him and his mom connected to the water... Note: they lives in different apartments and his mom has never paid for water.

On the 5th December he served us quit notice. On the 20th of January 2020, he arrested us claiming we disconnected his light but it was lie. We didn't. At the police station, the DCO didn't listen to us. We were forced to write statements and we were locked up until friends and family rallied round to bail us the same day.

After the bail, the police made me to sign undertaking and we are going to fix the light and we won't make trouble with him. The next day, as we were about fixing the light, the PHCN STAFF showed up claiming they disconnected his light unknowingly to us . The landlord illegally tapped light from his mom's apartment to his and that Was what was disconnected. They stopped us from fixing it.
We felt cheated and reported him at meditation centre... At the mediation center, the woman in charge of the case again was not interested to why we brought our landlord but telling us we are stingy in the presence of our landlord and his elder brother and trying telling us to sign undertaking to pay all the bill including with the over 6months he cut us of. We refused and they chased us away.

Until 4days ago when he came to disconnect our light without prior notice from either from him or ikeja electric. This is everything that happened. No addition and no subtraction.

Note: we are all one room apartment tenants (7 of us).
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 8:28am On Mar 22, 2020
Atiku:
I go build house finish.
Then when i give my so called tenant quit notice, e go rush go meet mediators. What nonsense?

Leave the mans house na ahn ahn!
he's the son of our late landlord. Read my new reply... The man cheated us and that was why we did that
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 8:41am On Mar 22, 2020
Hotfreez:

The guy is an idiot. Go back to the Mediation centre and report him there that he has removed your electricity cables and he's threatening you.

I suggest you begin to look for another house though. Use the rent Y I would have paid him to look for a better apartment.
thanks
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by layzie: 9:58am On Mar 22, 2020
@ mabeni
If your rent expired in Jan 2020 as u said and u have not renewed, it means u have been living for free. Agreement between landlord and tenant is based on rent payment.
Just pack, u have saved 3 mths rent already. Or is there something else u want to achieve there?
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Goodgod213: 10:12am On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
thanks

Look for another house. You can’t win him in his house
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2020
layzie:
@ mabeni
If your rent expired in Jan 2020 as u said and u have not renewed, it means u have been living for free. Agreement between landlord and tenant is based on rent payment.
Just pack, u have saved 3 mths rent already. Or is there something else u want to achieve there?
I want to leave but haven't gotten a suitable pace. You and I knows how difficult it is to get apartments in Lagos.
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by Perfecttouchade: 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2020
Maybe ur landlord don carry ur matter come Nairaland before, I smell he got the idea of disconnecting ur light from Nairaland cheesy
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by layzie: 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
I want to leave but haven't gotten a suitable pace. You and I knows how difficult it is to get apartments in Lagos.

The point is that u can't be looking for benefits of being a tenant when u re no longer one. Rent payment makes u a tenant. U have stayed 3 months without rent. it's either u re a tenant or u re not, right now u are not. The earlier u leave, the better for everyone including u. Na ur water em go comot next or lock up the toilet since na face me I face u apartment.
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by mabeni(m): 8:47pm On Mar 22, 2020
layzie:

The point is that u can't be looking for benefits of being a tenant when u re no longer one. Rent payment makes u a tenant. U have stayed 3 months without rent. it's either u re a tenant or u re not, right now u are not. The earlier u leave, the better for everyone including u. Na ur water em go comot next or lock up the toilet since na face me I face u apartment.
why are you taking it personal? I said I haven't gotten apartment. Should I pack my properties and relocate to under bridge since the house is his and I am no longer a tenant according to you?
Re: My Landlord Disconnected Our Light Without Telling Us Why He Did by layzie: 9:58pm On Mar 22, 2020
mabeni:
why are you taking it personal? I said I haven't gotten apartment. Should I pack my properties and relocate to under the bridge since the house is his and I am no longer a tenant according to you?
There's nothing personal. I have simply told u the truth and the next step ur landlord will likely take. Peace

(1) (Reply)

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Turkish Doors, China Doors, American Steel Doors / I Eventually Evicted My Tenant Today / Luxury Apartment For Rent At Etim Inyang Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.