Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,446 members, 7,853,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 08:14 AM

How To Get Over Fear Of Needles | Trypanophobia - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Get Over Fear Of Needles | Trypanophobia (378 Views)

Nurse Shares Encounter With Patient That Needles Couldn't Penetrate His Skin / Sex Workers Evicted From Benin Hotel Over Fear Of Spreading Coronavirus / Kenyan Doctors Remove 7 Needles In 3-Year-Old Girl’s Stomach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Over Fear Of Needles | Trypanophobia by Wearabletech: 8:54am On Mar 22, 2020
Hmm!

*how to get over fear of needles*
����

Read, comments, like on Facebook and share

Are you familiar with the word trypanophobia? Here, adept tips on how to overcome this worried some situation. Working as an Outpatient Department Charge Nurse means administering injections is a routine task. In this role, I have encountered a lot of patients who have an irrational fear of needles and have sought means to overcome this fear.

My understanding of the plight of these patients stems from witnessing a good number of them in their hysterical moments. Characteristically, a patient could go from talking about his or her fear of medical procedures like taking a flu shot to passing out during or after the process. A typical instance remains my encounter during my service year in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

Being a member of the NYSC Orientation Camp medical team, I was required to collect blood samples from corps members. One of them, Sarah, verbalised her fear beforehand and I regarded it as a prime moment to educate her on how to deal with this intense fear.

Guess what? It was a failed attempt.

I needed just 3mls of blood from her for an urgent laboratory test. Apparently, as there wasn’t enough time to complete counselling, I implored her not to look at or pay attention to the procedure. Sadly enough, curiosity got the better part of her so much so that before I withdrew the needle, after aspirating, her hands felt cold – she had passed out and almost hit her head on the examination bench!!!

I was perplexed!

There was an immediate emergency response. I stopped the procedure and began rescusitation. Within moments, she regained consciousness.

Now, that was a terrifying experience for me as a young nurse but thankfully, I have since understood the art of allaying patient’s fear and anxiety especially with regards to phobia for needles/injections.

Too many times, overcoming this fear isn’t a big deal to some persons but to others, even when life depends on it, it remains a herculean task.

Today’s post promises useful tips to help with this phobia whether as an individual, a nurse seeking to help patients, a concerned parent, a supportive friend who knows someone that needs daily insulin shots to survive and many more

Ask your SmartNurse
��

Use the link

https://smaartcollections.com/how-to-get-over-trypanophobia/

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

No Coronavirus In Anambra State: Information Commissioner / Iced Fish Importation Should Be Banned / Covid 19 Is A War Between China And The West, If You Don't Believe Then Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.