Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,353 members, 7,957,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:04 AM

Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life (1069 Views)

Coronavirus Survivor Says Chloroquine Saved His Life / Coronavirus: US Approves Chloroquine As Treatment - Trump / Doctor Treating Italian Man With Coronavirus Doesn't Wear Face Mask, Explains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by bamidell(m): 9:21am On Mar 24, 2020
A Florida man diagnosed with coronavirus claims he was saved from certain death by an anti-malaria drug touted as a possible treatment by President Trump.

Rio Giardinieri, 52, told Los Angeles’ Fox 11 that he struggled with horrendous back pain, headaches, cough and fatigue for five days after catching COVID-19, possibly at a conference in New York.

Doctors at the Memorial Regional Hospital in South Florida diagnosed him with the coronavirus and pneumonia and put him on oxygen in the ICU, he told the outlet.

After more than a week, doctors told him there was nothing more they could do and, on Friday evening, Giardinieri said goodbye to his wife and three children.

“I was at the point where I was barely able to speak and breathing was very challenging,” Giardinieri said. “I really thought my end was there.”

Then a friend sent him a recent article about hydroxychloroquine, a prescription drug that’s been used to treat malaria for decades and auto-immune diseases like lupus.

Overseas studies have found it to be promising as a treatment for COVID-19, though it hasn’t been approved by health officials.

Trump last week said he was instructing the FDA to fast-track testing of hydroxychloroquine and a related drug, chloroquine, as treatment for COVID-19.

Giardinieri said he contacted an infectious disease doctor about the drug.

“He gave me all the reasons why I would probably not want to try it because there are no trials, there’s no testing, it was not something that was approved,” said Giardinieri.

“And I said, ‘Look, I don’t know if I’m going to make it until the morning,’ because at that point I really thought I was coming to the end because I couldn’t breathe anymore,” Giardinieri continued.

“He agreed and authorized the use of it and 30 minutes later the nurse gave it to me.”

After about an hour after taking the pills, Giardinieri said, it felt like his heart was beating out of his chest and, about two hours later, he had another episode where he couldn’t breathe.

He says he was given Benadryl and some other drugs and that when he woke up around 4:45 a.m., it was “like nothing ever happened.”

He’s since had no fever or pain and can breathe again. Giardinieri said doctors believe the episodes he experienced were not a reaction to the medicine but his body fighting off the virus.

Giardinieri, the vice president of a company that manufactures cooking equipment for high-end restaurants in Los Angeles, said he had three doses of the medicine Saturday and is hoping to be discharged from the hospital in five days.

“To me, there was no doubt in mind that I wouldn’t make it until morning,” said Giardinieri. “So to me, the drug saved my life.”

nypost.com/2020/03/22/florida-man-with-coronavirus-says-drug-touted-by-trump-saved-his-life/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 24, 2020
great news!

I saw a video of patients in isolation centres taking deep breathes like its their last breath yesterday, I don't even know what to say again because we are in trouble whether we all realize it or not, I hope the prediction of 45million deaths doesn't come to pass because doctors that were supposed to do things to calm the patients recorded the video, I would have posted it here for those telling me my source is not reliable, but i don't know how to post videos here.

Nigeria is in trouble! I got mocked for wearing a face mask yesterday and people didn't even want to seat beside me in the bus, are these the people that will listen to government orders or protect themselves?

As for me, my family and friends, we'll keep protecting ourselves and eat food/fruits to boost our immune system, 45million is no joke o
Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by Hhansome(m): 9:23am On Mar 24, 2020
Interesting!
Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by Aboks(m): 9:29am On Mar 24, 2020
Thank God for you
Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by Deltayankeeboi: 9:32am On Mar 24, 2020
grin

Yes, it has been scientifically and medically proven that Chloroquine can cure covid 19 but the other virus we have in Nigeria, the one the living dead president called Kovik 1---9, that one is resistant to Chloroquine.

Stay safe. grin

1 Like

Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by Xpol: 10:16am On Mar 24, 2020
Anyone that contracts the virus should use chloroquine as soon as possible without waiting for any approval after all the doctors have nothing to offer you than to leave you at the mercy of your immune system
Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by NextD18: 10:17am On Mar 24, 2020
Cure fire!!

Next thing, gullible Nigerians will start killing and wiping away their families with Chloroquine.
Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by knowhowk: 10:54am On Mar 24, 2020
Xpol:
Anyone that contracts the virus should use chloroquine as soon as possible without waiting for any approval after all the doctors have nothing to offer you than to leave you at the mercy of your immune system
You Nail it
Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by knowhowk: 10:57am On Mar 24, 2020
NextD18:
Cure fire!!

Next thing, gullible Nigerians will start killing and wiping away their families with Chloroquine.
. It's not meant for people with Covid 19. Doctors and Nurses have Nothing to offer ,Anyone with Covid and bad immune system is 80% close to Death so whatever can save should be used and not wait for any rubbish Approval . Someones is almost dying and has an opportunity to at least take something and you are taking of one stupid Approval by a body that does not care you die .

1 Like

Re: Florida Man With Coronavirus Says Chloroquine drug Save His Life by bamidell(m): 11:50am On Mar 24, 2020
NextD18:
Cure fire!!

You should understand that we have under 500 ventilator in Nigeria, the healthcare system is bad, the isolation center is worse than your room, if the worse gets to worse, 50% of what is currently happening in Italy, and there is no cure what so ever, you won’t get any chloroquine again at the Phamacy shop... common sense my brother

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING! COVID-19: Bauchi Confirms Second Case / At Age 30, He Already Has A Degree In Medicine And A Distinction In Pharmacy / Jigsimur Herbal Remedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.