Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu (2289 Views)

Ambode Commissions Helicopters, Gun Boats, Armoured Personel Carriers / Four Great Enemies Buhari Must Terminate After Being Sworn In Friday / Okonjo-iweala Directs SURE-P To Terminate Pact With Firm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Nchara: 3:18am On Dec 28, 2010
The Re-opening of Enugu Airport

Thisday Editorial

Monday, December 27, 2010

Hundreds of thousands of air passengers who use the Akanu Ibiam airport, Enugu, have every reason to be happy at the re-opening of the facility a few days ago.  The airport, now upgraded to an international status, had been shut down for more than ten months so that refurbishing work could take place.

While the airport was in disuse Enugu-bound passengers had to endure the routing of their flights through the much smaller Sam Mbakwe airport in Owerri. They would then drive another three hours to Enugu through a federal highway that is in shambles. For most part the journey by road to or from Owerri was like running a gauntlet between armed robbers and kidnappers. Many paid dearly while the closure of the Enugu airport lasted. However, as the saying goes, all is well that ends well.

The reopening of the airport following the expansion of the runway is a welcome development. The Akanu Ibiam airport is one of the oldest in the country. Years of neglect had, however, left the facility in a less-than-befitting state. Not only were the run ways not long enough for international flights, even the departure and arrival lounges had become utterly seedy, lacking some of the basic facilities that standard airports are known for all over the world. News of the upgrading of the airport was understandably therefore well received by most people who use the facility regularly.

As an international airport, the Akanu Ibiam facility is expected to be equipped with modern facilities to enable travelers flying out of the country to take off from Enugu without having to go to Lagos, Abuja or even the Port Harcourt international airport. That it took so long to upgrade the airport is one of those ironies of the Nigerian state. A survey of foreign trips made by Nigerians over the past decade, for instance, indicates that a good deal of it involves people from the Southeast who would have loved to take off straight from Enugu. Yet they had to fly first into some other city before they could catch an overseas flight. Such circumnavigation! Now that the airport has been upgraded to an international status it must live up to the billing in terms of the amount of facilities available there.

Expanding the runways is not enough. Attention also needs to be paid to other operational facilities that conduce to safety. One that cannot wait is the completion of work on the facilities that would enable airplanes take off and land in the night. We hear that right now that cannot happen because the installation of the necessary facilities is yet to be completed.

The airport's terminal building also needs expansion and more modern restrooms. The existing ones are hardly befitting of an international airport. The hope of the users of the Akanu Ibiam international airport is that the airport will match the best anywhere.

For most of them, the upgrading of the airport is prayer answered. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) must not disappoint them. All that needs to be done to make the airport truly international should be provided. Already some of the foreign carriers are reported to have expressed their preference to originate and terminate their flights in Nigeria from Enugu because of the high volume of their passengers that come from that region. That will be good for not only the prospective passengers but also for FAAN. Let nothing therefore stand in the way of the airport. By and large, we expect the federal government to also upgrade more Nigerian airports to international status.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/dec/27/207.html
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by dempeople(m): 3:56am On Dec 28, 2010
I read a similar story on Thisday newspaper. If it ever materialises then, its a very welcomed development. They should speed-up the building of a new terminal or at least, try and rehabilitate the existing terminal to accommodate the volume of passengers - both domestic and international - at the airport. I think the best option is to completely build a new terminal. Another thing is that, if Asaba airport opens in January (as 'politically' expected/announced) then, I bet there would be a massive preference of Asaba airport to Enugu airport by Ndigbo. In this case, its entirely a case of proximity/distance and not otherwise.

@Nchara, any info on the possibility of Asaba airport opening for operations in January?
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Nchara: 4:02am On Dec 28, 2010
dem_people:

I read a similar story on Thisday newspaper. If it ever materialises then, its a very welcomed development. They should speed-up the building of a new terminal or at least, try and rehabilitate the existing terminal to accommodate the volume of passengers - both domestic and international - at the airport. I think the best option is to completely build a new terminal. Another thing is that, if Asaba airport opens in January (as 'politically' expected/announced) then, I bet there would be a massive preference of Asaba airport to Enugu airport by Ndigbo. In this case, its entirely a case of proximity/distance and not otherwise.

@Nchara, any info on the possibility of Asaba airport opening for operations in January?

Why would the bolded be the case?
No, I have no info on Asaba airport.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by dempeople(m): 4:13am On Dec 28, 2010
Oh my bad. Nwanne, I've seen my mistake. I meant Ndigbo in close proximity to asaba airport otherwise, Akanu bless him Ibiam  International airport would be the natural preference.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by chigo4u: 9:00am On Dec 28, 2010
I strongly think Anambra is overdue to have an airport. Anambra people make up most of the air travellers in Nigeria and it will even develop the economy of the state but the redundant, non performing and timid governor will never consider this.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 28, 2010
Not a big deal.
Obviously, as an international airport, some flights will commence and terminate there just like every other international airport - volume of travellers regardless.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by dempeople(m): 9:18am On Dec 28, 2010
chigo4u:

I strongly think Anambra is overdue to have an airport. Anambra people make up most of the air travellers in Nigeria and it will even develop the economy of the state but the redundant, non performing and timid governor will never consider this.

To develop an airport in Anambra isn't necessary both environmentally and economically. As an Anambrarian, Asaba airport can serve Anambra quite alright. I read that FG has authorized the development of Anambra cargo airport (somewhere around Aguleri/Umuleri axis). Instead of developing this airport, the funds could be used to develop a more high income-generating project which would contribute more to the state's purse. E.g, the state government could consider purchasing barges which could be used to ferry goods/containers to/ from Onitsha riverport while monopolising the usage of barges at the riverport solely to their own advantage. I'm yet to fully accept the viability of this proposed airport but, only time will tell. Maybe they know something I don't know.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Nchara: 11:46pm On Dec 28, 2010
The airlines will simply be putting their money where their mouth is, so to say.

OMO IBO:

Not a big deal.
Obviously, as an international airport, some flights will commence and terminate there just like every other international airport - volume of travellers regardless.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Olaedo1: 12:00am On Dec 29, 2010
chigo4u:

Be thankful for what you just got. The SE has been denied an international airport for so long, don't start screaming for another one the next day after you just got one. Patience.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by shotster50(m): 2:15am On Dec 29, 2010
^^^
Ace.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Nobody: 4:06am On Dec 29, 2010
Very confusing report.

Hundreds of thousands of air passengers who use the Akanu Ibiam airport, Enugu, have every reason to be happy at the re-opening of the facility a few days ago. The airport, now upgraded to an international status, had been shut down for more than ten months so that refurbishing work could take place.

As an international airport, the Akanu Ibiam facility is expected to be equipped with modern facilities

So has it been well equipped or not?

Has the writer visited the facility or not?
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by dempeople(m): 8:09pm On Feb 04, 2011
FG intends to spend N90bn for the development of new terminals at some of the nation's airports namely; MMIA(Lagos), AKIA(Kano), AIIA(Enugu), PIA(Port Harcourt) and NAIA(Abuja) which means that they'll be spending at least N18bn on each terminal (plus commission/awuf fees). Maybe they'll be ready by 2050 A.D.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Obiagu1(m): 8:39pm On Feb 04, 2011
dem_people:

FG intends to spend N90bn for the development of new terminals at some of the nation's airports namely; MMIA(Lagos), AKIA(Kano), AIIA(Enugu), PIA(Port Harcourt) and NAIA(Abuja) which means that they'll be spending at least N18bn on each terminal (plus commission/awuf fees). Maybe they'll be ready by 2050 A.D.

This is the typical stupidity that we have always exhibited. How can they extend the runway for international flights and then start work on the terminals?
When you build a new terminal, the old one will be demolished so there'll be no terminal to serve the people hence no flight.

I bet you the current terminal will still be there till 2050.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by dempeople(m): 8:52pm On Feb 04, 2011
Obiagu1:

This is the typical stupidity that we have always exhibited. How can they extend the runway for international flights and then start work on the terminals?
When you build a new terminal, the old one will be demolished so there'll be no terminal to serve the people hence no flight.

I bet you the current terminal will still be there till 2050.

My sentiments exactly. They should have built the new terminal during the period that they expanded the runway afterall, a terminal such as MMIA2 could be built within 6-10months. Its not a big deal. Since they haven't done that, what they're doing presently is, the clearing of a particular area within the airport for a new terminal and also, the implementing runway lighting.
What I heard (and I stand to be corrected) is that the current terminal will be used as a domestic terminal while the proposed terminal would be designated for international flights.

Work seems to be going-on though albeit slowly.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by Obiagu1(m): 9:02pm On Feb 04, 2011
dem_people:

My sentiments exactly. They should have built the new terminal during the period that they expanded the runway afterall, a terminal such as MMIA2 could be built within 6-10months. Its not a big deal. Since they haven't done that, what they're doing presently is, the clearing of a particular area within the airport for a new terminal and also, the implementing runway lighting.
What I heard (and I stand to be corrected) is that the current terminal will be used as a domestic terminal while the proposed terminal would be designated for international flights.

Work seems to be going-on though albeit slowly.

Ok, that makes sense.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by seanet02: 9:08pm On Feb 04, 2011
It is not business wise
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by dempeople(m): 11:48pm On Feb 04, 2011
^^^^^

How?

With about 45% or more of international travellers originating from the SE, what doesn't make it business wise?
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by ezeagu(m): 12:18am On Feb 05, 2011
dem_people:

What is "AD"? Don't you mean 2050 J.R. (Jesus Return).

Has anyone seen Abuja International? From there you will see that the only airport Nigeria has is Murtala Muhammed, the rest are just crash landing pads with rubble beside it. I'm sure the private airports in the middle of the Amazon jungle are better.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by udezue(m): 1:24am On Feb 05, 2011
Anambra does not need an airport. Anambra state should focus on creating and making River Niger port viable. Asaba Airport is on the other side of the river bank hence they can use it. Enugu Akanu Ibiam Airport is about 45 minutes away from Awka hence ppl on the other side of Anambra can use it. If Uli airport is in Anambra state then they need to rehabilitate and maybe use it for just flying cargo or make it private airport. It could be made into an aviation school too.
Re: Some Foreign Carriers Plan To Originate & Terminate Their Flights At Enugu by FSU: 11:19pm On Aug 29, 2012
Very relevant to the current stance of the Aviation Minister.

(1) (Reply)

2015 Prophecy: The Voice Of America, The Hand Of Boko Haram / Oseloka Obaze Likely to Emerge The Next Governor of Anambra / Delete

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.