Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,613 members, 7,827,303 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ (627 Views)

The Mistakes Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Chr / The Trinity Doctrine Is a False doctrine and it is Unbiblical. / Trinity Doctrine Exposed - See Why It Is False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ by tomakint: 4:42am On Mar 27, 2020
The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christianity!

God is Supreme and He Alone Is One but how come some Christians refer to Jesus Christ as the Almighty God (Yahweh) When the Bible never said so. Below is my take with references from the Holy Scriptures why the doctrine of Trinity should not be adopted as a means of referencing the Godhead because of its origin;

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:" (Deuteronomy 6:4)

"I Saw In The Night Visions, And, Behold, One Like The Son Of Man (Jesus Christ) Came With The Clouds Of Heaven, And Came To The Ancient Of Days (God Almighty Father, Yahweh), And They Brought Him Near Before Him." (Daniel 7: 13)

"The Revelation Of Jesus Christ, Which God (Yahweh, Jehovah) Gave Unto Him, To Shew Unto His Servants Things Which Must Shortly Come To Pass; And He Sent And Signified It By His Angel Unto His Servant John:" (Revelation 1:1)

"Jesus Said Unto Them, If God Were Your Father, Ye Would Love Me: For I proceeded Forth And Came From God (Yahweh); Neither Came I Of Myself, But He Sent Me." (John 8: 42) 

How Come Trinitarians Are Preaching Three Gods With Equal Powers And Strength When The Bible Never Said So. What Do You Believe? Bible Never Calls Jesus As God Almighty But Calls Him Only Begotten Son Of God Who Is Subservient To God Almighty And Was Sent By God To Redeem All Mankind To God Almighty By The Shedding Of His Precious Blood As Instructed By The Ancient Of Days.

Origin of the Doctrine of Trinity

Did you care to know the origin of trinity and what it stands for? I guess you don't know, let me help you:

"What occurred at the Council of Nicea?"

The Council of Nicea took place in AD 325 by order of the Roman Emperor Caesar Flavius Constantine. Nicea was located in Asia Minor, east of Constantinople. At the Council of Nicea, Emperor Constantine presided over a group of church bishops and other leaders with the purpose of defining the nature of God for all of Christianity and eliminating confusion, controversy, and contention within the church. The Council of Nicea overwhelmingly affirmed the deity and eternality of Jesus Christ and defined the relationship between the Father and the Son as “of one substance.” It also affirmed the Trinity—the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were listed as three co-equal and co-eternal Persons.

Constantine, who claimed conversion to Christianity, called for a meeting of bishops to be held in Nicea to resolve some escalating controversies among the church leadership. The issues being debated included the nature of Jesus Christ, the proper date to celebrate Easter, and other matters. The failing Roman Empire, now under Constantine’s rule, could not withstand the division caused by years of hard-fought, “out of hand” arguing over doctrinal differences. The emperor saw the quarrels within the church not only as a threat to Christianity but as a threat to society as well. Therefore, at the Council of Nicea, Constantine encouraged the church leaders to settle their internal disagreements and become Christlike agents who could bring new life to a troubled empire. Constantine felt “called” to use his authority to help bring about unity, peace, and love within the church.

The main theological issue had always been about Christ. Since the end of the apostolic age, Christians had begun debating these questions: Who is the Christ? Is He more divine than human or more human than divine? Was Jesus created or begotten? Being the Son of God, is He co-equal and co-eternal with the Father, or is He lower in status than the Father? Is the Father the one true God, or are the Father, Son, and Spirit the one true God?

A priest named Arius presented his argument that Jesus Christ was not an eternal being, that He was created at a certain point in time by the Father. Bishops such as Alexander and the deacon Athanasius argued the opposite position: that Jesus Christ is eternal, just like the Father is. It was an argument pitting trinitarianism against monarchianism.

Constantine prodded the 300 bishops in the council make a decision by majority vote defining who Jesus Christ is. The statement of doctrine they produced was one that all of Christianity would follow and obey, called the “Nicene Creed.” This creed was upheld by the church and enforced by the Emperor. The bishops at Nicea voted to make the full deity of Christ the accepted position of the church. The Council of Nicea upheld the doctrine of Christ’s true divinity, rejecting Arius’s heresy. The council did not invent this doctrine. Rather, it only recognized what the Bible already taught.

The New Testament teaches that Jesus the Messiah should be worshipped, which is to say He is co-equal with God. The New Testament forbids the worship of angels (Colossians 2:18; Revelation 22:8, 9) but commands worship of Jesus. The apostle Paul tells us that “in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form” (Colossians 2:9; 1:19). Paul declares Jesus as Lord and the One to whom a person must pray for salvation (Romans 10:9-13; cf. Joel 2:32). “Jesus is God overall” (Romans 9:5) and our God and Savior (Titus 2:13). Faith in Jesus’ deity is basic to Paul’s theology.

John’s Gospel declares Jesus to be the divine, eternal Logos, the agent of creation and source of life and light (John 1:1-5,9); "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:6); our advocate with the Father (1 John 2:1-2); the Sovereign (Revelation 1:5); and the Son of God from the beginning to the end (Revelation 22:13). The author of Hebrews reveals the deity of Jesus through His perfection as the most high priest (Hebrews 1; Hebrews 7:1-3). The divine-human Savior is the Christian’s object of faith, hope, and love.

The Council of Nicea did not invent the doctrine of the deity of Christ. Rather, the Council of Nicea affirmed the apostles’ teaching of who Christ is—the one true God and the Second Person of the Trinity, with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

N.B: It is not known why the term "Trinity" was adopted by these 300 Bishops assembled by Constantine the Great, because throughout the Biblical teachings through the Prophets and other writers until the time of Christ manifestations there was no concrete expository teachings in the Bible equating the power of Christ to God Almighty either in substance or in authority but that these two personalities are different and distinct beings with a clear definition of superiority from God Almighty (Yahweh) to Jesus Christ (God's Almighty Only  Begotten Son), sent from above, which was clearly against their positions at this meeting on Trinity. One unique outcome from this Episcopal meeting at the Council of Nicea is that, Jesus Christ remains a Divine Being that deserves to be worshipped as mandated upon him by His Father in Heaven, God Almighty. 

"Who was Constantine the Great?"

Constantine the Great (AD 280—337) was one of Rome’s most powerful and successful emperors and the first to self-identify as a Christian. He is known for his economic, political, and military achievements, as well as his religious reforms. Medieval writers praised him as the ideal ruler, against whom all kings were measured. Over time, his reign was viewed with waning enthusiasm. Historians also began to debate how committed Constantine was to Christianity or how devoutly he actually followed it. Constantine was influential in Christian history for his personal faith, religious politics, issuing the Edict of Milan, and calling the Council of Nicea.

Constantine was the son of a Roman official and his Christian concubine. This placed him in line to succeed the throne of the Western Roman Empire. At age 31, he prepared to attack his chief rival with an army outnumbered 4-to-1. Before the battle, Constantine claimed to have seen a vision of Jesus, with a specific symbol, telling him, “By this sign, conquer.” Constantine ordered his troops to mark their shields with this symbol, the Chi-Rho, then a symbol commonly representing Christianity. The Chi-Rho combines the first two letters in the Greek word for “Christ” and resembles a capital P with an X drawn through the spine. Constantine’s forces routed the enemy, and he became emperor. The Chi-Rho symbol would be part of Constantine’s personal signature for the rest of his life.

As emperor, Constantine issued the Edict of Milan, which declared Roman citizens free to worship whatever gods they chose. The Edict of Milan ended longstanding persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire. At that time, Constantine did not (yet) claim to be a Christian himself, nor did he advocate for an official state religion. Based on his continued use of certain pagan symbols, scholars believe Constantine’s early religion was generally theistic, rather than specifically Christian. His boldness in using Christian language grew during his reign. After assuming control of the entire Roman Empire, he built lavish churches and came to openly espouse Christianity.

During Constantine’s reign, controversy arose over the teachings of Arius, who denied the full divinity of Jesus. Constantine called a meeting of Christian bishops, the Council of Nicea, to settle the dispute. Contrary to popular myth, this meeting did not discuss the canon of the Bible, nor was Constantine influential in the council’s decisions. Emperors saw themselves as responsible for promoting “correct” forms of worship; Constantine’s interest was not to declare orthodoxy but to let the bishops determine it so that he could enforce it. Further, Constantine was not known for his philosophical ability and found himself lost in deeper discussions of theology. Rather, he acted as the council’s mediator and host, roles at which he excelled.

Constantine’s Christian faith has frequently been critiqued, if not questioned outright. On one hand, he made great strides in securing political and social rights for Christians and initiating general humanitarian reforms. He poured time and money into building churches and publicly supporting Christianity. Particularly toward the end of his reign, Constantine vocally professed faith in Christ and credited his success to God. He was baptized shortly before his death, according to the common practice of his time.

On the other hand, Constantine continued many pagan practices, including veneration of the sun. His interest in Christian orthodoxy was motivated primarily by a desire to maintain social order. There are also reasons to suspect that Constantine was as ruthless toward rivals as prior emperors had been. One of his sons, a brother-in-law, and his second wife were executed for reasons still unknown. He freely blended pagan practices with Christian beliefs, leading scholars to suggest his public adoption of Christianity might have been a savvy political move, linking him to a rising social force in the Roman Empire.

Ultimately, whether Constantine was a committed Christian, a shrewd, Christian-friendly politician, or something in between is an open question. Without doubt, he ended centuries of persecution and greatly enhanced the social standing of Christianity. He committed resources to churches and Christian education, and his leadership helped to clarify important Christian doctrines. However, Constantine’s actions resulted in some negative complications. Free from persecution, the church naturally attracted more false converts. The melding of Christian themes with secular politics set a pattern that contributed to later disasters such as the Inquisition and the Crusades. Constantine’s blending of pagan, building-and-priest-centered worship with Christianity also contributed to the rise of Roman Catholicism.

Constantine’s legacy is complex and not wholly understood, but he stands as one of the dominant figures in Christian history. Without doubt, his influence transformed Christianity from a persecuted minority into the eventual state religion of the Roman Empire and the most widespread faith in history.

Knowing who Emperor Flavius Constantine was and his beliefs according to his history will tell the Church clearly what is the Bible standpoint on some teachings before the outcome of the Council of Nicea as advocated for and supported by the Emperor

1 Like

Re: The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ by judgementyard(m): 4:50am On Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for sharing,am more enlightened

1 Like

Re: The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ by tomakint: 4:59am On Mar 27, 2020
judgementyard:
Thanks for sharing,am more enlightened

You are most welcome my brother, I keep wondering why the issue or debates of "Jesus Christ Equal God Almighty should be debated" when Jesus Christ already addressed that issue in John 10: 30-38; 

30. I and my Father are one.
31.  Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32. Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33. The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35. If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36. Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
37. If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Looking at Christ's own defense here is just ok for anyone who wants to learn that Christ never addressed himself as "God" but always call himself "Son of God" as seen in verse 36 where he countered the wrong insinuation by the Jews when they wrongly accused him of making himself "God" in verse 33.

I have heard some Pastors and teachers of the Holy Scriptures saying Jesus Christ was the same as "I AM THAT I AM" and even linked that to what Jesus said before the Jews in John 8: 58 when he said, "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." which to me is barbaric and unscriptural. 

Some even take John 1: 1-5 as meaning Jesus Is God the Father when it is very clear here the word God here is what Jesus Christ said in John 10: 34; "Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" here Christ was quoting Psalms 82:6; "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." here Jesus was trying to make the Jews realized that if mere men (mortals) are referred to as gods then how much more him that came from God, sanctified and ordered to be the Word of God to mankind cannot address himself as "Son of God"? (John 10: 35-36). 

If you are going with the Doctrine of Trinity as saying Jesus is of equal status as God Almighty then you are rewriting the Bible which should not be seen with someone professing Christ as his personal Lord and Saviour. Reflect on this, if Jesus is of equal status and form with God then why does the Bible say this; "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:" (Deuteronomy 6:4) and you wondered why Jesus said the followings; 
"You have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I." (John 14:28); read another example from our Lord Jesus Christ in the book of Matthew; "16. And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17. And he said unto him, Why do you call me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19: 16 -17),  you can also study; Mark 10: 17-18, Luke 18: 18-19 for similar references. It is very simple, Jesus Christ gave all respect to His Father in Heaven as the only God that is Good and not even Him for he always "reverence His Father". I don't think it would be appropriate to say "a God is showing reverence to another God while also insisting these same Gods have the same equal status and power as preached by Trinitarians" which is clearly what they are insinuating. Jesus also said this about His God, my God, your God whom we worship in the book of Matthew; "But of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." (Matthew 24:36). Even the book of Mark 13: 32 was deeper in this; "But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."! As you can see if Jesus is God of equal power and form with God he wouldn't have said only God is good nor him accepting the fact that not even him as the "Son" knows the hour when the last days judgment shall come.

Also proving the supremacy of God Almighty further, let's consider what Jesus Christ said in the following verses where he reverence God Almighty as his God and Father; in Mark 15: 34; "And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" as we can clearly see if Jesus Christ is the same as God Almighty as widely acclaimed by Trinitarians, he wouldn't have referred to another God as "My God, my God", this is a clear case of submission from our Lord Jesus Christ to our Almighty God. In the book of John Chapter 20 verse 17, one can see how Jesus gave respect to his Father in Heaven when he said, "Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." again, Jesus mince no words here when he reverence God Almighty as his God and Father. Another typical example can be captured in Revelation 3: 12 where our Lord Jesus Christ spoke here concerning His God as a more superior being, "Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name."

I can go on and on where Christ was speaking and not his Apostles now but him talking about his status with God which I believe you can relate to but let me stop here because I know as an Holy Spirit- filled reader of the Bible you can be guided by the Spirit of Wisdom and Truth to know more about Jesus Doctrine which is Divine and Doctrines of Men which is sensual. Take care and God bless you!

2 Likes

Re: The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ by CoronaVirusPro: 5:23am On Mar 27, 2020
Who is going to read all this things.

Write up is even longer than everything I read in the university.
Re: The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ by Fanky8: 5:51am On Mar 27, 2020
[s]
CoronaVirusPro:
Who is going to read all this things.

Write up is even longer than everything I read in the university.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: The Error Of Constantine That Birthed The Trinity Doctrine, Paganism With Christ by tomakint: 2:50pm On Mar 27, 2020
Thanks @Fanky8 for cancelling out Troll's unnecessary comments as it only leads to more foolishness and distraction on a topic that can liberate Christianity from heresy

(1) (Reply)

Little Prophet Odumeje On Point, The Liquid Metal, Indabosky Seplay . Hahaha / Women Are Altars / Is Your 'church' Approved By The Lord? See The Signs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.