Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,602 members, 7,955,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:57 PM

Covid-19 And The Imminent Catastrophe For Nigeria! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Covid-19 And The Imminent Catastrophe For Nigeria! (176 Views)

BUA Purchases 1 Million Doses Of Astrazeneca COVID-19 Vaccines For Nigeria / COVID-19 Vaccine Sharing Formula For Nigeria / January Will Be Tough, Spike In COVID-19 Infections Imminent – NCDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Covid-19 And The Imminent Catastrophe For Nigeria! by ThompsonJoo: 1:10pm On Mar 27, 2020
Yesterday Thursday 26/03/2020, I was pulled out by some unavoidable reasons from my stay at home measure against Covid-19 which I began with my family on Thursday 19/03/2020 when I lockdown the family. I wore two pairs of hand gloves: polythene or clinical type which I covered with the cotton made type. Before wearing the hand gloves, I rubbed my own hand sanitizer and the ointment known as Aboniki on my hands and feet. I wore long sleeves shirt and jacket over it. I doubled the socks on my feet and wore a pair of laced shoes. Although I have learnt from the news over and over again that only infected persons need wear face mask, I wore my face mask and my sun glasses. I looked at the mirror and saw a young man kitted like the 12th Century Astronaut set for the moon. I laughed at the image and thought of taking a snap of me for this piece. But I felt the challenge before humanity was too much for any joke.

The time was about 1400 hours just after the downpour. The kids were in the parlour watching their usual kid channels that has helped me with some measure of peace. I emerged from my room and into the parlour. As the kids saw me, I was surprised that they didn't find my appearance funny. Instead, they asked why I didn't consider wearing a cap to cover my head. They advised that I should not even allow anyone to touch my clothes. I hoped into the car and hit the road leading from my Nyanya place to somewhere in Maitama for a very important meeting.

I'd looked forward to driving a lonely road as suggested by my street. But hitting the Abuja/Keffi Expressway, I observed that there was a serious traffic grill on the lane retuning from Abuja! The lane to Abuja wasn't freer either. It suddenly occurred to me that I may have been the only person observing the Stay At Home Covid-19 Holiday! I noticed that, as usual of our habitually turning things upside down in Naija, rather than many people wear hand gloves without face masks, it was the other way around. I saw many pedestrians, riders, drivers and passengers wearing different types of face masks but without hand gloves on at all! The streets were as busy as any other normal day. I could see people holding hands, shaking hands and living the normal Nigerian pre-covid-19 daily lifestyle!

I was ashamed as many people who never bothered to wear either the hand gloves or face masks mock and ridiculed the few who do. Those wearing such kits are called all sorts of embarrassing names like Coronavirus, Ebola, Covid-19, Virus, Corrodia Drive Us, China Disease etc! Some person became too shy to wear any protective kit as if they were protecting other's lives.

What I saw imposed a terrible imagination of the future of Covid-19 in my country on my head. I became apprehensive that majority of Nigerians obviously do not care a hoot about the ravages the pandemic is inflicting on more advanced, organized, sophisticated and better prepared countries of the world! It's is obvious that many Nigerians can only take Covid-19 seriously when they began to physically see corpses in the streets.

Only insanity will not be shaken to the spine by the manner Covid-19 has reduced the United States of America, the strongest nation of the world to a sick and dying land. With the ubiquitous pictures of freshly dead bodies constantly on TV screen and some Nigerians still boldly expressing their doubts about the existence of Covid-19 and or being boastful of baseless and idiotic allegedly divine, regional, genetic, climatic or whatever immunity can only give us an insight into how dangerously exposed and vulnerable we are as a people to the scourge of Covid-19. It's clear that it's in us that the deadliest version of religiousity powered by the crudest of stupidity enjoys intercourse with suicidal carelessness that is powered by mental incapacity.

Without trying to sound pessimistic, I think the story will be too ugly if we do not try everything humanly possible immediately to curb the spread of covid-19 in Nigeria. We're already to late to begin a catch up. Nigeria is already being swallowed up by Covid-19 unknown to many of us! Everybody must be involved in it. A pandemic that is able to bring America to its knees have the capacity to devour a sickly third world country like Nigeria a million times over. The situation of Nigeria was already helpless and hopeless before the virus arrived our shores! All we are now saying is that we should be seen doing something reasonable to help our bad situation at all.

(1) (Reply)

Health Centre Records High Family Planning Requests Amid COVID-19 Lockdown / UCH CMD Tests Positive For Coronavirus / Low Sperm Count, Infertility, Infections, Fibroid And Hormonal Imbalance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.