Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,272 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Heartbreaking POWA ad. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Heartbreaking POWA ad. (798 Views)

Woman Hanged For Killing Man Who'tried To rape Her' Leaves Heartbreaking Message (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heartbreaking POWA ad. by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 29, 2010
This is an experiment conducted in a South African neighborhood by the[b] P[/b]eople [b]O[/b]pposing [b]W[/b]omen [b]A[/b]buse organization to show the common mentality of some of the inhabitants towards domestic abuse.  The experiment consists of a member playing his drums late @ night and being threatened by neighbors and then playing a loud recording of a domestic dispute but not even getting a peep from a window from his neighbors. This video is compelling because it not only shows the nonchalant reaction to abuse in general but also indicates that this is not just a problem in South Africa but the world over.  undecided

Take a look:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DIIvkvbIVM?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

*My reaction: I am thoroughly disgusted!  angry angry

Your views / comments?
Re: Heartbreaking POWA ad. by PhysicsHD: 1:55pm On Jan 05, 2011
Tragic.

Domestic abuse is probably one of humanity's oldest crimes, and in 2010/2011, it seems communities are still unwilling to intervene in any kind of disturbance. Reminds me of that story of a woman being assaulted while tons of bystanders just watched or walked by in New York. Or another story about that old man (in America) who was lying in the cold for hours while people just walked by. I don't think this double standard- the willingness to object to or intervene in problems that affect you directly and immediately while ignoring those that do not out of apathy or indifference or fear- is a cultural problem. I think it is a human problem, but it's unfortunate that this behavior extends to domestic abuse.

People should at least call the police if they're scared of the attacker in the home (people have been killed in domestic disputes). This sort of thing should not be seen as a normal or acceptable occurrence in any society.
Re: Heartbreaking POWA ad. by memyself2(f): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2011
Wow, that is such a strong advert and the message at the end was so potent, I experienced goosebumps  cry.

I know this is a question that has been raised and probably over flogged, but what makes some men think the best way to deal with domestic issues is beating a lady?  And why do women accept it? I am worried, would I stay in a relationship if my partner were abusing me physically? I say no now because I am not yet married but I wonder when I get married, would I walk out the first time he raises his fist against me? Or would I give him a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on chance because we have children?
Would I reason that the damage caused to a child that has one abusive parent is probably worse than any damage he/she would have if they had only one loving parent, God save us and help us save  ourselves, amen!
Re: Heartbreaking POWA ad. by sonia6968: 11:57am On Jan 07, 2011
Visa / Legalization Appointment And Travel Insurance.

Did u need a reliable person that can help you secure an appointment in spanish embassy both legalization of document and visa appointment, Travel insurance to all schengen states and yes if you are having problem with a visa and need a competent Lawyer to write an appeal on your behalf kindly contact.

(NB) Visa / Legalization Appointment / Travel Insurance / Flight Reservation And Hotel Reservation.

contact
BARRY

innobare2000@yahoo.com

Re: Heartbreaking POWA ad. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 04, 2011
me,myself & PhysicsHD, yea its pretty sad. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Can Anyone Recommend Me Any High Quality African Films. / Are You The Whiteman's Slave? - Aisha Sekhmet Needs Your Attention / Did Our Ancestors Wear Panties And Sleep On Pillow?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.