Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,749 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why I Think Nigeria Has Low Number Of Reported Coronavirus Cases - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why I Think Nigeria Has Low Number Of Reported Coronavirus Cases (576 Views)

FMC In Nasarawa State Isolates Five With Suspected Coronavirus Cases / Chinese Health Workers Take Off Facemasks To Celebrate Fall In Coronavirus Cases / Experts Ask Why Africa Seems To Have Few Coronavirus cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think Nigeria Has Low Number Of Reported Coronavirus Cases by charlsecy(m): 8:06pm On Mar 28, 2020
According to official records, there are 89 cases of coronavirus infection as at 28 March, 2020.

Out of the figure, one person has died, 3 have been discharged because they recovered.

This follows that 85 persons are actively being treated.

The number of people who has contracted the virus in Nigeria is actually bigger than 89. So why is the figure 89 being reported?

There are at least 3 reasons for our seemingly low figure of coronavirus cases.

1. Infrastructural impotence
2. Political reason
3. Ignorance

1. Infrastructural impotence: Nigeria doesn't have state-of the-art technology to conduct as many tests as possible. There are paucity of testing kits. Our database is poor or non-existent, making contact tracing a herculean task. Many people who have had contact with confirmed infected people couldn't be reached. Probably, fewer than 500 tests have been done, so a big number of people who were supposed to have been tested have not been tested.

2. Political reason: The government may not want to cause panic to people by release the true figure, which is actually more than 89 cases. They may want to give off the impression they are on top of the situation.

3. Ignorance: Some people, either out of ignorance or fear, have refused to present themselves for testing or quarantine.

Re: Why I Think Nigeria Has Low Number Of Reported Coronavirus Cases by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 28, 2020
I think you should replace num 2 with lack of political will. They know exactly what they are doing, test only a few elites so they get access to the available resources before the true picture blows out. Then leave the rest to depend on aid from donors.
Re: Why I Think Nigeria Has Low Number Of Reported Coronavirus Cases by chuqudy(m): 8:51pm On Mar 28, 2020
Re: Why I Think Nigeria Has Low Number Of Reported Coronavirus Cases by scoundrel(f): 12:49pm On Mar 29, 2020
At first I thought like you. It was later I realized the numbers are actually possible. This is not Ebola where the virus is homegrown. This is a case where the virus was imported. Almost everyone coming into the country as at the time of sensitization is aware of quarantining themselves for two weeks. As such their chances of spreading the virus to tens of people diminishes to only one or two. Africans also bathe, in some cases as many times as three daily. No virus whatsoever can linger on a skin which faces such cleansing.

(1) (Reply)

YES! We can curb COVID-19 with TEAMWORK - By NETISM / Covid-19 What Is Madagascar Doing Differently / Nigerian Man Breaks Down In Tears As His Mum Who He Claims Doctors Neglected For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.