Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday (23765 Views)

Attempt To Stop Non-Yorubas From Getting PVCs Resisted (Video) / Government Offices Can Open From Monday – Presidential Task Force / Governor Ganduje: Abolish Herdsmen Movement From North To South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by Bigleaf1006: 2:41pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:
This is unwise. I hope it doesn't affect Nairaland. The #ShutDownNigeria people don't have a very deep understanding of how an economy works. The vast majority of business activities in a developing country like Nigeria are essential. Very few people go to Lagos just for fun. Our leaders think that shutting things down is a viable alternative to massive testing and isolation of those who test positive, and sadly, we are cheering them on. There is no quick fix to the Coronavirus. There is no alternative to massive testing, isolation and contact tracing. We have to be smart.

Shutting down a country to stop a virus is like shooting a man dead to kill the sickness in his body. Does it work? Probably. But it's also unwise. I say instead of that, find a drug that targets the sickness in his body and kills it without killing the man. That's the only real solution to this issue.

There are only two countries whose efforts to beat the Coronavirus have been really successful. China and South Korea. I suggest that they are the only people that we should be listening to. They both encourage the widespread use of facemasks. They both do massive testing and isolation of infected people. China shut down part of their country but South Korea didn't do that despite having around 1,000 new cases per day at peak. They just continued to do every smart thing that could reduce the rate of transmission of the virus, and it worked and is working.

If you put a mask on every face, educate everybody about how to conduct their business without spreading the virus, and do massive testing of all people suspected to have the virus, and that doesn't work (it will), that's when you can start thinking of shutting things down. Our politicians won't even distribute face-masks to market women in Lagos who are begging them for it, or wear them, but they want to #ShutDownNigeria.

How will it affect Nairaland? Here is a short part of the answer to that:

I have been shouting myself hoarse over this. Shutdown isn't the solution. We need to invest in testing kits and testing centers. We can do ward by ward level testing centers using the polling units we use during elections,everyone that comes clean gets a pass on their mobile phone via a app designed for this or a ussd code.

Nigerian economy cannot withstand 2weeks total shutdown.now is the time we need to be bracing up and getting our economy blasting on all cylinders due to the decline in oil prices so as to mitigate a very hasrsh recession.

This for me is a bigger problem than what we have now.
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by futurewise11(m): 2:43pm On Mar 29, 2020
chozzy:

Who're you describing as 'old and uneducated' ?

Lol, oga, Dapo Abiodun is well read - studied abroad but
did not take part in NYSC. That he submitted only WASC to INEC was
to avoid the NYSC controversy that consumed Kemi Adeosun

What's his age and mention the name of the university abroad?
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by chozzy: 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2020
futurewise11:

What's his age and mention the name of the university abroad?

Oga, use Google and stop asking me silly questions.

The man is a public figure so visit his Wikipedia page and read his profile.
I have told you why he chose to submit only his WASC to INEC (he skipped NYSC).
He's 59yrs old

Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by Deyemz(f): 4:09pm On Mar 29, 2020
Good
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by maclatunji: 5:04pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:
This is unwise. I hope it doesn't affect Nairaland. The #ShutDownNigeria people don't have a very deep understanding of how an economy works. The vast majority of business activities in a developing country like Nigeria are essential. Very few people go to Lagos just for fun. Our leaders think that shutting things down is a viable alternative to massive testing and isolation of those who test positive, and sadly, we are cheering them on. There is no quick fix to the Coronavirus. There is no alternative to massive testing, isolation and contact tracing. We have to be smart.

Shutting down a country to stop a virus is like shooting a man dead to kill the sickness in his body. Does it work? Probably. But it's also unwise. I say instead of that, find a drug that targets the sickness in his body and kills it without killing the man. That's the only real solution to this issue.

There are only two countries whose efforts to beat the Coronavirus have been really successful. China and South Korea. I suggest that they are the only people that we should be listening to. They both encourage the widespread use of facemasks. They both do massive testing and isolation of infected people. China shut down part of their country but South Korea didn't do that despite having around 1,000 new cases per day at peak. They just continued to do every smart thing that could reduce the rate of transmission of the virus, and it worked and is working.

If you put a mask on every face, educate everybody about how to conduct their business without spreading the virus, and do massive testing of all people suspected to have the virus, and that doesn't work (it will), that's when you can start thinking of shutting things down. Our politicians won't even distribute face-masks to market women in Lagos who are begging them for it, or wear them, but they want to #ShutDownNigeria.

I agree with you on trying to find a cure.
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by Digitiminimi: 5:53pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:

Mr Seun n do you forget Nigeria is a developing country? Which measures do you think can work for the control of the deadly virus? Nigerians won't listen to whatever rules is being lay down except it's being forced upon them.

Now, No vaccine to treat this. The worst part is this; Many poor people in Nigeria still believe it's a Wealthy virus. I.e it only affects our Politicians n The Riches among us.
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by Digitiminimi: 6:09pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:

Mr Seun! In Ogun State as at today, how many people have Facse mask or nose cover? Not to think of using them.
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:

Make sense but it cant work in 9ja. Doing this will make the infection blow out of proportion, we know our country na. Seun, if this thing should get to the low class citizens of the country...
A total lockdown is the only viable option for now . God see us through
Re: Coronavirus: Ogun State To Stop Non-Essential Inter-State Movement From Monday by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 31, 2020
Seun:

My business does not run on food and medicine. What happens if my inverter or generator gets damaged and I need spare parts from Lagos? Coronavirus is a complicated problem, and it requires brainy solutions. Simplistic solutions like randomly shutting things down won't cut it.

Brainy solutions are for developed nations. Of course we could just decide to do nothing since no one seems to be dying. No one will take this seriously until the bodies start piling up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fayose: I’m Qualified For Vice President Position In 2019 / Saraki ‘Under Intense Pressure’ To Step Down For Atiku / How To Check If You Are A Registered Voter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.