Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,329 members, 7,826,304 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

How Receptive are Nigerians to African Americans/"Akatas"? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Receptive are Nigerians to African Americans/"Akatas"? (267 Views)

"Arrest Bill Gates": Americans Protest Against Bill Gates' Vaccines (Video) / Covid-19: Alibaba Group Donates 1.1 Milion Test Kits To African Countries / Jack Ma Helps Africa Fight Coronavirus. Donates Masks, Test Kits To African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Receptive are Nigerians to African Americans/"Akatas"? by kaili(f): 8:33am On Mar 29, 2020
Good morning all, I'm Mikaili. smiley Born and raised in the U.S.

These days, many of us African Americans are waking up to the idea of rebuilding the connection with our long-lost homeland. I happen to be one of those individuals. I was born with 4 African names, raised with a deep cultural understanding, and intentionally surrounded myself with African friends.

I've always felt welcomed by Nigerians (and Africans in general), however, I've heard that other African-Americans have had negative experiences.

NIGERIANS: This is my question for you all. If those of us African-Americans who appreciate your culture begin to visit/relocate in large numbers... would you be bothered by that idea? If so, why?

(I posted this under the wrong topic, sorry! Please post your responses in my thread under the Culture section!)

1 Like

Re: How Receptive are Nigerians to African Americans/"Akatas"? by Greystone: 8:44am On Mar 29, 2020
kaili:
Good morning all, I'm Mikaili. smiley Born and raised in the U.S.

These days, many of us African Americans are waking up to the idea of rebuilding the connection with our long-lost homeland. I happen to be one of those individuals. I was born with 4 African names, raised with a deep cultural understanding, and intentionally surrounded myself with African friends.

I've always felt welcomed by Nigerians (and Africans in general), however, I've heard that other African-Americans have had negative experiences.

NIGERIANS: This is my question for you all. If those of us African-Americans who appreciate your culture begin to visit/relocate in large numbers... would you be bothered by that idea? If so, why?

To be honest with you, I personally feel a bond with African-Americans. You are our brothers and sisters whose ancestors wer forcefully taken away from Africa's shores many years ago.

However, there are stereotypes related to African-Americans that are more often than not, true.

- the average African-American man is lazy and prone to drugs, gang activities and crime. There's this "victim" mentality like.... he is disadvantaged and under privileged so why even try to be someone of value to the society?

- African-American girls are often stubborn and tend to be hood-rats. Teenage pregnancies and single motherhood as well as having children from different men is commoner among African-American women than any other race in the US.
If you ask most Nigerian men, myself included, we wud never consider marrying an African-American babe because most of "y'all" are irresponsible.

That being said, these are only stereotypes as i have relatives who wer born and raised in America and have turned out incredibly well and are doing well as professionals in different fields.

With regards to ur idea of a large-scale "meet-and-greet", Nigerians are generally friendly hardworking people and such a gathering wud be highly welcomed. However, u have to be weary of fraudsters and swindlers. Also make adequate security arrangements.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

Re: How Receptive are Nigerians to African Americans/"Akatas"? by otipoju(m): 2:46pm On Mar 29, 2020
I'll come back to comment
Re: How Receptive are Nigerians to African Americans/"Akatas"? by Fidelismaria: 4:51pm On Mar 29, 2020
Wrong section

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus Cannot Stay In Air For 8 Hrs WHO Debunk Rumors / Shisha, Tobacco Smokers Risk Contracting Coronavirus, Says WHO / Coronavirus: See why health Workers fled from suspected Covid 19 Patient.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.