Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Covid-19: The Fate Of Okpe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Covid-19: The Fate Of Okpe (431 Views)

Nobody Can Do What Oshiomhole Did For Edo North - Wife Of Olokpe Of Okpe (Video) / Gunmen Kill Okpe Denis Ijoko In Benue, Burn 50 Houses / Fate Of 7 Governors Uncertain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covid-19: The Fate Of Okpe by NigeriaB(m): 8:57am On Apr 02, 2020
I believe most of us here are conversant with the story of one Susan Okpe [Benue] whose covid-19 status was brought to the public domain by the state government a few days back. Having read comments, weighed reactions on social media and having conversed with some people from the state capital on this very issue, I can't help but greet this development with mixed feelings.

First;
I tried to understand the very intent of the state government on the public declaration of her status bearing her details on the premise that it is their approach to contact tracing; such that anyone on hearing the name Susan Okpe, anyone who has identified with such a person or has made contact whatsoever with such a person should make him or her self available for testing, treatment and possibly quarantine to curtail further spread of the virus. But I fear, this approach comes with great consequences.

Secondly;
Because of the seemingly associated stigma that has come with the index case (Susan Okpe, tagging her as BENUE FACE OF CORONA on social media) as dramatised by the state government, people may no longer be willing to come forward and subject themselves to covid-19 test even if plagued with symptoms typical of covid-19 except at a critical stage when they will resort to hospital care by which time, they must have given the virus to many people.

Thirdly;
Any man bearing Okpe in Benue state, henceforth may not want to name any of his daughters Susan anymore because they fear this perceived stigma that has come with Susan Okpe may linger.

Fourthly;
Ladies in Benue bearing the name Susan , henceforth may not want to associate with guys bearing the name Okpe in matters of holy matrimony because they fear this perceived stigma that has come with Susan Okpe may linger. We are aware that in this part of the world , marriage changes a woman's surname .

It goes on and on.
In as much as the government on her part, considers this as a worthy approach to contact tracing, I still believe that there are many other approaches and avenues that could be explored that could be better greeted with better results.

Please feel free to bring forth your opinion..
Re: Covid-19: The Fate Of Okpe by Franzinni: 9:06am On Apr 02, 2020
My opinion is unless you mean to tell me that Benue people dont have 10 brain cells between them that they will resort to stigmatization of an individual for being the index case of corona virus in their state ...I can bet you .. You don't remember the name of the first person to die of the virus in Nigeria without some googling .. So for you to say people in Benue will now start avoiding the name Susan or okpe is ludicrous! Benue people are wise and reasonable people

Susan has nothing to worry

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: The Fate Of Okpe by NigeriaB(m): 9:35am On Apr 02, 2020
Franzinni:
My opinion is unless you mean to tell me that Benue people dont have 10 brain cells between them that they will resort to stigmatization of an individual for being the index case of corona virus in their state ...I can bet you .. You don't remember the name of the first person to die of the virus in Nigeria without some googling .. So for you to say people in Benue will now start avoiding the name Susan or okpe is ludicrous! Benue people are wise and reasonable people

Yea, nice one. I agree with you
Re: Covid-19: The Fate Of Okpe by NigeriaB(m): 6:45am On May 25, 2020
Franzinni:

Have you now seen that BENUE no longer reports cases? No body is willing to submit himself/herself for the test even when plagued with symptoms. 5 cases in BENUE

(1) (Reply)

Africans And Mental Slavery / Kano Government Bans TV Station From Airing Drama Showing Lady Being Held By Men / Top Ten Most Corrupt Countries In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.