Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) (6754 Views)

Remove your mind from corona virus figures and put it on this figure / This Shape Has Nairaland In Mind, Check Your Thinking Ability (mr Shape) / If You Get This Then You Have An IQ above Average (mr Shape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 12:09pm On Apr 03, 2020
stanisbaratheon:

Cc: Mrshape

Having seen your solution, I want to bring your attention to this question I asked earlier about the line you said was a chord to the shaded circle.

The question is, if it's a chord to the shaded circle, why did you take your reference point at the center of the shaded circle?? You even went as far as designating it "R+7". That means you recognised that line going through both shapes as radii.
I did that because there is a geometric theory that state that if two circles touch externally the distance between the two centers is sum of there radi
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by oyatz(m): 12:10pm On Apr 03, 2020
You made an assumption about the diameter of the shaded circle that's almost correct but not exact.

stanisbaratheon:

Diameter AB= 56cm
Radius of AB=56/2=28cm
Diameter of AE=EF=FG=GB=56/4=14cm
Radius of AE=EF=FG=GB=14/2=7cm

Diameter of shaded portion=28-7=21cm

Area of shaded portion=(πD^2)/4=(π×21^2)/4

Area=(3.14159×21^2)/4=1385.44/4 =346.36sq.cm

Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by stanisbaratheon: 12:12pm On Apr 03, 2020
Mrshape:

I did that because there is a geometric theory that state that if two circles touch externally the distance between the two centers is sum of there radi

hmmmm....okay

I guess what you should have said was that line is a chord to the big semicircle.

Well whichever way it is, I'm good with your solution.
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by stanisbaratheon: 12:14pm On Apr 03, 2020
oyatz:
You made an assumption about the diameter of the shaded circle that's almost correct but not exact.

Okay
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Rezos017: 12:33pm On Apr 03, 2020
Martinez39s:
In Maths, you don't just make assumptions without proof and present them as solutions. Even by mere intuitive geometric consideration, |OF| cannot equal |ON|. If |OF| = |ON|, then the circle centred at O would touch F. |ON| is the radius of the circle centred at O, how then is |OF|, which is clearly bigger that the radius of the circle centred at O, equal to |ON|?

MrShape.
You are absolutely correct on the point u made dat the shaded circle is not really inscribed in the semi-circle and so the shaded circle cannot have its center where OF and ON become equal and that automatically OF and ON cannot be 14cm. It escaped my notice. Thumbs up! So d search for d solution continues, Mr Shape!
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 12:35pm On Apr 03, 2020
Rezos017:
You are absolutely correct on the point u made dat the shaded circle is not really inscribed in the semi-circle and so the shaded circle cannot have its center where OF and ON become equal and that automatically OF and ON cannot be 14cm. It escaped my notice. Thumbs up! So d search for d solution continues, Mr Shape!
I have answered it already check the first comment of this thread
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Martinez39s(m): 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2020
Rezos017:
MrShape has already given the solution in the first page of this thread. The isosceles triangle MrShape drew and its dimensions ain't based on assumptions. Read the question to understand why the triangle is valid (basic geometry on circles might also help).
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by oyatz(m): 1:06pm On Apr 03, 2020
Mr Shape,i have a question for you sir.

Can we do it this way?

1) Calculate the area of the biggest semi circle.

2) Calculate the areas of each small semi-circles.

3) Add the areas of the four semi circles.

4) Subtract the summation from the
area of the biggestt semi-circle

Mrshape:
Take necessary precaution, stay safe and relax your mind with this shape

1 Like

Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Kylekent59: 1:16pm On Apr 03, 2020
How I got my answer @ Mrshape

8 Likes

Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by federal9: 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2020
Kylekent59:

Fantastic
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 2:18pm On Apr 03, 2020
oyatz:
Mr Shape,i have a question for you sir.

Can we do it this way?

1) Calculate the area of the biggest semi circle.

2) Calculate the areas of each small semi-circles.

3) Add the areas of the four semi circles.

4) Subtract the summation from the
area of the biggestt semi-circle

You still need to subtract the area of the arcs inside the semi big semicircular
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 2:21pm On Apr 03, 2020
Kylekent59:
Nice
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by ezzienekong: 3:41pm On Apr 03, 2020
Stay home and make money online.

Make your phone and data work for you, with likes, comments, FOLLOWS, VIEWS ON social media handles.

Don't be home complaining about money because of the lock down.

ASK ME HOW!!!
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by emmafineboy(m): 5:08pm On Apr 03, 2020
nothing is too small if God touches ur heart,i lost my job and with dis corona virus of a tin am so down.
Ecobank.
Acc.no.5861026102
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by BrutusOj(m): 5:35pm On Apr 03, 2020
Rezos017:
Overlook the poor sketch...not drawn to scale anyway.
You did a nice sketch to solve the problem, but missed the workings at a point. If you look well again, it would have been better to do this, "from the center of the big semi circle to the tip of the shaded circle is radius of the big semi circle which is 28 cm, and the radius of the small semi circle is 7cm, hence ur FC is also 7cm, therefore the diameter of the shaded circle is
= 28-7
=21cm
Hence, the radius of the shaded circle is 10.5 cm".

NB: I choose FC to represent the distance from F to the circumference of the shaded circle (the line joining F to the tip of the shaded circle)

1 Like

Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 6:55pm On Apr 03, 2020
BrutusOj:
You did a nice sketch to solve the problem, but missed the workings at a point. If you look well again, it would have been better to do this, "from the center the of the big semi circle to the tip of the shaded circle is radius of the big semi circle which is 28 cm, and the radius of the small semi circle is 7cm, hence ur FC is also 7cm, there diameter of the shaded circle is = 28-7
=21cm
Hence, the radius of the shaded circle is 10.5 cm".

NB: I choose FC to represent the distance from F to the circumference of the shaded circle (the line joining F to the tip of the shaded circle)
Not correct
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Rexmy(m): 7:45pm On Apr 03, 2020
Mrshape:
Take necessary precaution, stay safe and relax your mind with this shape
The area is 394.24 square cm
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 7:46pm On Apr 03, 2020
Rexmy:

Good
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 7:47pm On Apr 03, 2020
Rexmy:

TRG my other shape
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Rexmy(m): 7:49pm On Apr 03, 2020
Mrshape:
TRG my other shape
Biko define your TRG
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by Mrshape: 7:51pm On Apr 03, 2020
Rexmy:
Biko define your TRG
Lol typo
Try my other shape is what I mean
Re: Let This Shape Take Your Mind Away From Corona Virus (mr Shape) by BrutusOj(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03, 2020
Mrshape:

Not correct
yea..I was trying to reason from his angle. I got your working clearly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angry Mother Shows Up In Her Nightgown At A Club And Drags Her Daughter Home / Niger State Polytechnic Zungeru-only If U Can Cope / Pic of Abia state university student beheaded (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.