Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

What Is Network Security? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What Is Network Security? (623 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Network Security? by jasonsmit9818: 11:41am On Apr 03, 2020
Network security is the practice of preventing and protecting against unauthorized intrusion into corporate networks. As a philosophy, it complements endpoint security, which focuses on individual devices; Network security focuses on how those devices interact and the connective tissue between them. The venerable SANS Institute takes the definition of network security a little further: network security is the process of taking physical and preventive measures to protect the underlying network from misuse, misuse, malfunction, modification, destruction or disclosure incorrect. critical functions within a secure environment. But the overall impetus is the same: Network security is implemented through the tasks and tools you use to prevent unauthorized people from entering your networks. In essence, your computer cannot be hacked if hackers cannot access it over the network.

Network Security Basics
Definitions are good as high-level statements of intent. How do you plan to implement that vision? We looked at three phases of network security that should be the base framework for your strategy.

Protection: You must configure your networks and networks as correctly as possible

Detection: You must be able to identify when the configuration has changed or if any network traffic indicates a problem

Reaction: After quickly identifying problems, responding to them and returning to a safe state.
This, in short, is an in-depth defense strategy. If there is a common theme among security experts, it is any individual defensive tool that can be defeated by a determined adversary. Your network is not a line or a point: it is a territory, and even if you have organized your defense correctly.

Network Security Methods
To implement this type of defense-in-depth, there are a variety of specialized techniques and types of network security.

Access control: You must be able to block unauthorized users and devices from your network. Users who have authorized access to the Internet have only been authorized to use the website.

Antimalware: viruses, worms, and Trojans by definition of a network, and can remain inactive on infected machines for days or weeks. Your security effort must be made to prevent infections and also for the rooting malware that targets your network.
Application security: Your network often accesses insecure applications. You must use hardware, software, and security processes to block those applications.

Behavioral analysis: You must know what normal network behavior is like to detect anomalies or breaches as they occur.

Data loss prevention: Humans are inevitably the weakest security link. You must implement technologies and processes to ensure that employees do not deliberately or inadvertently send sensitive data outside of the network.

Email security: Phishing is one of the most common ways to gain access to a network. Email security tools can block both incoming and outgoing messages with sensitive data.

Firewalls: Perhaps the grandfather of the world of network security, they follow the rules of their network or the Internet, establishing a barrier between their zone of trust and the Wild West. They do not exclude the need for an in-depth defense strategy, but they are still essential.

Intrusion detection and prevention - These systems scan network traffic to identify and block attacks.

Mobile and wireless security: wireless devices have all the possible security flaws of any other networked device. It can be connected to almost any wireless network anywhere, requiring extra security.

Network Segmentation: Segmentation defined by software in different classifications and facilitates the application of security policies.

Security Information and Event Management - These products aim to gather information from a variety of network tools to provide the data you need to identify and respond to threats.

VPN: A tool that authenticates communication between a device and a secure network, creating a secure and encrypted "tunnel" over the open Internet.

Web security: You must be able to control the use of internal staff to block web-based threats from the use of browsers as a vector to infect your network.

Network security software
To cover all of those bases, you'll need a variety of hardware and software tools in your toolkit. The best is an element in your hybrid defense-in-depth strategy. Some of these tools are corporate products from large vendors, while others come in the form of free and open-source utilities. The main categories include packet analyzers, which offer an in-depth look at data traffic, vulnerability scanners like intrusion detection and prevention software.
For more plz visit: https://www.avanturebytes.com/

Re: What Is Network Security? by John23459: 6:28pm On Aug 03, 2020
As a business owner, I totally understand the importance of testing and securing my external facing assets, and indeed this is the best method to protect my business. In order to avoid any malware or unauthorized activities, I rely on Penetration Testing to test my applications for vulnerabilities and avoid losing data or other similar problems that may appear. Nowadays it's very easy to hack a website or an app and this way hackers get access to client's personal data so the software should be regularly updated to avoid potential evil interventions.
Re: What Is Network Security? by AlexWilliams: 5:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
John23459:
As a business owner, I totally understand the importance of testing and securing my external facing assets, and indeed this is the best method to protect my business. In order to avoid any malware or unauthorized activities, I rely on Penetration Testing to test my applications for vulnerabilities and avoid losing data or other similar problems that may appear. Nowadays it's very easy to hack a website or an app and this way hackers get access to client's personal data so the software should be regularly updated to avoid potential evil interventions.
I agree, penetration testings are the best way to protect yourself from unwanted access and keep everything safe. It's the best thing I can do for my business.

(1) (Reply)

We Can’t Come To Pick Thieves, Cell Is Full – Police Tells Ifo Residents / Video! Ladies Badly Assaulted Meets Abuja Taskforce During Lockdown / Police Sergeant Faces Prosecution For Raping 17-year Old Girl In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.