Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,707 members, 7,955,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:25 PM

On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated (1144 Views)

Late Bola Ige And Martin Luther King At A Conference (Throwback Photo) / How SEDI MD, Prof. Simon Ndubuisi Was Assassinated In Enugu / How Sunny Ejiagwu Was Assassinated In Imo State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by Jaspernubi: 11:30am On Apr 04, 2020
Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Christian minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the Civil Rights Movement from 1955 until his assassination in in 1968. King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, inspired by his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVrlx68v-0

King led the 1955 Montgomery bus boycott and later became the first president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC). As president of the SCLC, he then led an unsuccessful 1962 struggle against segregation in Albany, Georgia, and helped organize the nonviolent 1963 protests in Birmingham, Alabama. He helped organize the 1963 March on Washington, where he delivered his famous "I Have a Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

On October 14, 1964, King won the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolent resistance. In 1965, he helped organize the Selma to Montgomery marches. In his final years, he expanded his focus to include opposition towards poverty and the Vietnam War. FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover considered him a radical and made him an object of the FBI's COINTELPRO from 1963 on. FBI agents investigated him for possible communist ties, recorded his extramarital liaisons and reported on them to government officials, and, in 1964, mailed King a threatening anonymous letter, which he interpreted as an attempt to make him commit suicide.[1]

Before his death, King was planning a national occupation of Washington, D.C., to be called the Poor People's Campaign, when he was assassinated on April 4 in Memphis, Tennessee. His death was followed by riots in many U.S. cities. Allegations that James Earl Ray, the man convicted of killing King, had been framed or acted in concert with government agents persisted for decades after the shooting.

King was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. Martin Luther King Jr. Day was established as a holiday in cities and states throughout the United States beginning in 1971; the holiday was enacted at the federal level by legislation signed by President Ronald Reagan in 1986. Hundreds of streets in the U.S. have been renamed in his honor, and a county in Washington was rededicated for him. The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., was dedicated in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKWCxKq0i1k

credit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_Jr.
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by padi94(m): 11:30am On Apr 04, 2020
I
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by ghettokid1(m): 11:33am On Apr 04, 2020
What should we do now?
Maybe we should resurect him
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by MrStan11(m): 11:34am On Apr 04, 2020
He was a great man.
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by ojun50(m): 11:34am On Apr 04, 2020
OK we Don hear
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by imolile: 11:36am On Apr 04, 2020
I am just listening to his speech "I have been to the mountain" It is moving. He spoke as if He knew he was going to be killed the next day. He is a Hero indeed
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by tico1212(m): 12:17pm On Apr 04, 2020
This is how a true leader should speak and motivate his people. Not those script readers we have here.
Most student union presidents are better than those we have at the top.
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by philo04(m): 12:32pm On Apr 04, 2020
I love this man alot
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by fergie001: 12:38pm On Apr 04, 2020
Great man.....never be forgotten!

Mods...this is a fp material ooooo
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by ghettokid1(m): 12:42pm On Apr 04, 2020
fergie001:
Great man.....never be forgotten!

Mods...this is a fp material ooooo
How can they when there is no snake attached?
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 04, 2020
Real Legend
RIP
Mahatma Ghandi
Malcolm X
And all other black legends
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by fergie001: 12:43pm On Apr 04, 2020
ghettokid1:

How can they when there is no snake attached?
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by johnmartus(m): 12:48pm On Apr 04, 2020
You're bloody coward I wish you can have the average the boldness king Luther have.
ghettokid1:
What should we do now?
Maybe we should resurect him
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by ghettokid1(m): 12:50pm On Apr 04, 2020
johnmartus:
You're bloody coward I wish you can have the average the boldness king Luther have.

Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 12:56pm On Apr 04, 2020
K
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by Rapmoney(m): 12:58pm On Apr 04, 2020
cool
Re: On This Day 1968 Martin Luther King Jr. Was Assassinated by HocusPotos: 1:07pm On Apr 04, 2020
[s]
johnmartus:
[/s]

(1) (Reply)

Edo Guber Poll: Obaseki Bans Political Gatherings, Approves Only Benin Stadium / 2023: Why APC, PDP Will Not Give Its Presidential Tickets To South East- Group / Magu: How FCMB Misled Salami Panel Over Prophet Omale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.