Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,807 members, 7,956,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:27 PM

French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa (1056 Views)

Nigeria Flies In Covid-19 Drug From Bangladesh For Infected Governor / "Why Nigeria Should Avoid Madagascar’s COVID-19 Drug" - JOHESU, PSN / Babafemi Taiwo Studying On Remdesivir COVID-19 Drug (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by prof2007: 5:20am On Apr 05, 2020
Jean-Paul Mira, a French doctor, has apologised for suggesting that a potential COVID-19 treatment be brought to Africa for testing — a remark that sparked outrage on social media.

Mira, who is the intensive care unit (ICU) head at the Cochin hospital in Paris, had made the remark during an interview on French television channel LCI. But, according to Reuters, the Paris network of hospitals, Mira’s employers, released a statement reported to be from the controversial ICU head containing his apology for the inciting comment.

“I want to present all my apologies to those who were hurt, shocked and felt insulted by the remarks that I clumsily expressed on LCI this week,” the apology read in part.

Camille Locht, a research director with Inserm, France’s national health institute, had been on TV with Mira to discuss the ongoing tests for BCG tuberculosis vaccine as a potential COVID-19 cure.

“Should we not do this study in Africa, where there are no masks, treatment or ICU, a little bit like it’s done, by the way, for certain AIDS studies or with prostitutes?,” Mira had asked teasingly. “We try things because we know that they are highly exposed and they don’t protect themselves.”

In his reply, Locht had said: “You are right. We are in the process of thinking in parallel about a study in Africa. That doesn’t prevent us from also thinking about a study in Europe and in Australia.”

However, Didier Drogba, retired Ivory Coast soccer star, wrote on Twitter: “Africa isn’t a testing lab. I would like to vividly denounce those demeaning, false and most of all deeply racist words.”

SOURCE: https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/french-doctor-apologises-after-suggesting-covid-19-drug-be-tested-in-africa/

Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Smartbrainfix: 5:22am On Apr 05, 2020
Apology sometimes is to deceive someone to open up their defence for another attack quiet and deadly attack. We are clear about your motives because you are an authority likely to be privy to the information. I hope our leaders will not fall for this apology.

1 Like

Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Sanchez01: 5:29am On Apr 05, 2020
“Should we not do this study in Africa, where there are no masks, treatment or ICU, a little bit like it’s done, by the way, for certain AIDS studies or with prostitutes?,” Mira had asked teasingly. “We try things because we know that they are highly exposed and they don’t protect themselves.”
Going by this, he didn't apologise.
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Nobody: 5:30am On Apr 05, 2020
That's no apology. Just as +1-1=0 ,that's how he countered it. Apologised then tried to justify himself.

I pray a covid 19 patient sneezes near him when he's yawning without face mask. Then he can perform the test on himself all he wants

2 Likes

Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Nobody: 5:32am On Apr 05, 2020
Sanchez01:

How on earth did you miss the part where he apologised for his 'clumsy' comments ?
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Sanchez01: 5:41am On Apr 05, 2020
DominusPrime:

How on earth did you miss the part where he apologised for his 'clumsy' comments ?
This is a case of 'I apologise, STILL...'.

Please read his comments again.

1 Like

Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by galaxy2020(m): 5:51am On Apr 05, 2020
He needs to be prosecuted to serve as a deterrent to others. They might have been doing these things in the past secretly, ofcause with their African greedy collaborators.
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Iyiataata92: 5:54am On Apr 05, 2020
When the stupid health minister of DR Congo has already accepted his country as a testing ground.
Africans sef
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Mightymanna(m): 6:11am On Apr 05, 2020
Who knows.
Probably they have already injected the damn thing into some innocent people that don't even know what is happening, for them Africa has never contributed anything meaningful to humanity hence by default they should serve as lab rats and dumping ground for all useless things

Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by ignis: 6:12am On Apr 05, 2020
When you call your bucket a dustbin. People will dump garbages inside.
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by mu2sa2: 6:19am On Apr 05, 2020
Africans reserve the right to reject or accept the half-hearted, tongue-in-cheek, face-saving words he calls apology. They can even demand that he should be damnified in damages to serve as a deterrent to others.
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Mightymanna(m): 6:24am On Apr 05, 2020
Some people even think that Africa with the exception of Egypt is just one big jungle with wild animals everywhere or disease infested communities with people wearing leaves and animal skin, That is how they portray Africa in their movies
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by jakD: 6:48am On Apr 05, 2020
I think it's even high time Africa considered changing its name to something else. These white folks don't even have any iota of respect for Africa. Well, what do I even expect when Africa, Nigeria especially are blessed with bad and unconscious leaders!
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Nobody: 6:49am On Apr 05, 2020
Sanchez01:

This is a case of 'I apologise, STILL...'.

Please read his comments again.
No. His apologies came after the comments and people had criticised them. What the reporter put up there after his apology are the initial statements he made and not a continuation of his apology
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by enilyn(f): 7:10am On Apr 05, 2020
Apology not accepted
Re: French Doctor Apologises After Suggesting COVID-19 Drug Be Tested In Africa by Greatdesi(m): 7:52am On Apr 06, 2020
Sanchez01:
No sir.
This was said during the interview while the apology came some days later.

(1) (Reply)

Gorrila Tested For Coronavirus In Miami Zoo Hospital After Showing Symptom(Pics) / Lady Diagnosed With Acne Shocks Many After Sharing Photos Of Her Facial Transfor / This Is What You Need To Treat Staph And Yeast Infection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.