Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Amokachi: How I Took Siasia’s Place In The Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Amokachi: How I Took Siasia’s Place In The Super Eagles (258 Views)

Nazim And Kalim Amokachi 23rd Birthday: Daniel Amokachi Celebrates Twin Sons / The Moment Daniel Amokachi Substituted Himself On And Scored 2 Goals(throw Back) / I Want Kalim & Nazim Amokachi, My Twin Sons To Play For Nigeria- Daniel Amokachi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amokachi: How I Took Siasia’s Place In The Super Eagles by solbase10(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2020
Former Nigeria international Daniel Amokachi has revealed how he took the place of Samson Siasia in the attack of the Super Eagles, Completesports.com reports.

Amokachi made this known in his radio programme on Brila FM, ‘The Bull’s Pit’, on Monday.
“In our game against Cote d’Ivoire in Abidjan (USA 1994 World Cup qualifier), we had a two on one situation,” Amokachi said.

“Samson (Siasia) was supposed to pass to Rashidi (Yekini) who was free, but he decided to shoot and narrowly missed the target.

“We then went on to lose our first World Cup qualifier 2-1. That now gave me the opportunity to break into the team. And in our next qualifier against Algeria, I scored and we won 4-1.

“So that’s how I got my chance in the Super Eagles.”
Amokachi went on to partner Yekini in the Eagles’ attack in the remaining qualifiers as the team qualified for the World Cup for the first time.

The partnership continued during the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations where the Eagles became African champions with Yekini emerging top scorer with five goals.

And at the 1994 World Cup, both players led the Eagles to attack with Yekini scoring just one goal while Amokachi netted two goals.

Amokachi went on to represent Nigeria at the France 1998 World Cup where the team got to the round of 16.

In the second group game against Bulgaria, Amokachi made the starting eleven, which was his only appearance at the tournament.
Log on to www.completesports.com to read more interesting news like this. @completesportsnigeria @Completesports #breakingnews #sports #news ##sportsnews #caf #football #footballnews

Re: Amokachi: How I Took Siasia’s Place In The Super Eagles by oloriooko(m): 1:03pm On Apr 06, 2020
One man's error is another man's opportunity
Dan was a great player anyday anytime

(1) (Reply)

Ighalo Drops Man Utd Future Hint As Loan Star Looks To Prove Himself As A ‘beast / Premier League Could Resume In June With Sensational 5-week Massive Fixtures / I Will Never Coach Nigeria Again – Oliseh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.