Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News (23378 Views)

Whatsapp To Impose New Restriction On Forwarding To Fight Fake News / Whatsapp Limits Message Forwarding To Just 5 Users / Whatsapp Is Limiting Message Forwarding To Reduce Spread Of False News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by help9: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
Long overdue
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by howmarket2: 9:45am On Apr 08, 2020
help me out this period. first bank 3029609748 ify chukwuemeka.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 08, 2020
angry
Very necessary, especially here in Nigeria.
Was it not on WhatsApp that someone forwarded me a message that 5G means "devil is bigger than God".
Because devil has 5 letters and the G means God.
So 5G means devil bigger than God

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by iammo(m): 9:45am On Apr 08, 2020
lipsrsealed

Mark Zuckerberg can ban anthing like one Nairaland mod.. banning gives them orgasm

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 08, 2020
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by MzTunechi(f): 9:47am On Apr 08, 2020
That's a good move. You'd be surprise those you thought are enlightened also spread and forward unverified messages and news.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by stanliwise(m): 9:47am On Apr 08, 2020
Nice development
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 08, 2020
pocohantas:
I received this message sometime ago and didn’t give it a second look. I never do. Not until it was forwarded to me by the Consultant himself, after he asked if I have seen the message being passed around. He never had such conversation with anyone.

I jokingly told him it would soon be on NL. I wasn’t wrong after all, the next day I saw it on Nairaland
grin grin
There's nothing scary about it. Thousands out there are already infected. The Alhaji in Kwara who was a native of offa whose health status was hidden from health workers at UITH for religious sake, being a notable religious and political figure whose body must not be hijacked by the government for cremation is a proof. The governor of Kwara even debunked thebincicent when the alarm was first raised of covid-19 existence in kwara, before the man was confirmed to be positive to covid-19 and one of the alfas who washed his lifeless body tested positive. The pandemic had been around since January because Nigerians visit the west alot, china too. The government shouldn't be believed. Those countries who evacuated their citizens last week knew the fed govt much more than we claim to know them. They play politics with the figure in order to protect their interests. They knew once the expatriates leave our oil it would be disastrous. Useless people.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Dpharisee: 9:50am On Apr 08, 2020
Free speech is under threat. They want us to sit at home and watch CNN fake news cool

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Xisnin(m): 9:53am On Apr 08, 2020
zoedew:
Someone else will come up with an alternative app that is not this unreasonably restrictive of the freedom of speech. Better Prosecute irresponsible posts not restrict audio! Wrong move!
There are thousands of apps on the app store already, you can choose other options.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by pocohantas(f): 9:58am On Apr 08, 2020
fairfora:
There's nothing scary about it. Thousands out there are already infected. The Alhaji in Kwara who was a native of offa whose health status was hidden from health workers at UITH for religious sake, being a notable religious and political figure whose body must not be hijacked by the government for cremation is a proof. The governor of Kwara even debunked thebincicent when the alarm was first raised of covid-19 existence in kwara, before the man was confirmed to be positive to covid-19 and one of the alfas who washed his lifeless body tested positive. The pandemic had been around since January because Nigerians visit the west alot, china too. The government shouldn't be believed. Those countries who evacuated their citizens last week knew the fed govt much more than we claim to know them. They play politics with the figure in order to protect their interests. They knew once the expatriates leave our oil it would be disastrous. Useless people.

I do not know what you are on about, but my point is very simple- do not circulate false treatments or data on the Coronavirus.

Most of them always give the impression that they are privy to some high ranking health personnel. Then they drop statistics and drugs that they claim are effective in fighting the virus. People rush to take those drugs without verifying the source of such information. They overdose on those drugs. That is very scary.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by simplyOJ(m): 10:00am On Apr 08, 2020
Very Good. Too much fake news flying around enabled by forwarding.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 08, 2020
Dpharisee:
Free speech is under threat. They want us to sit at home and watch CNN fake news cool
government would never tell you the truth about covid-19 because the figure is much more than reported . I just pity the north for hiding everything. Unfortunately, our govt would not prevent them from travelling to the south when the thing hits them hard. Local media are under threat. Only the foreign media would tell you the truth about our government. Can I ask you a question? Can you tell me where Buhari made his recent address in which he declared a lock down? Did you see channelstv, NTA or AIT speaker before him when making the address? No local news must challenge that. Only the foreign media, who has nothing to lose or gain from our government would tell you the truth. Only channelstv is trying in Nigeria and they always come under attack of the govt too, for saying the truth
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 08, 2020
pocohantas:

I do not know what you are on about, but my point is very simple- do not circulate false treatments or data on the Coronavirus.

Most of them always give the impression that they are privy to some high ranking health personnel. Then they drop statistics and drugs that they claim are effective in fighting the virus. People rush to take those drugs without verifying the source of such information. They overdose on those drugs. That is very scary.
True but all I was saying is, the government too is lying on the figure declared via NCDC. There lots out there who are already infected.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Basher8583: 10:08am On Apr 08, 2020
zoedew:
Someone else will come up with an alternative app that is not this unreasonably restrictive of the freedom of speech. Better Prosecute irresponsible posts not restrict audio! Wrong move!

Well you will still need morons to use the app for it to be successful in thier fake news Champaign

WhatsApp still holds the highest numbers of users to date
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Niggmatic: 10:09am On Apr 08, 2020
Good. At least GamalNasser will stop forwarding fake "5g is bad" broadcast to my phone. grin
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 08, 2020
SCORPION1902:
Afonjas and their wide mouth can talk and talk.

Boastful species of apes

grin
Get well soon
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by danigbo(m): 10:12am On Apr 08, 2020
DropsMic:
Good...

I'm tired of receiving 5G causes Coronavirus / 5G is Antichrist nonsense...

Nobody has complained about news on Bobrisky and Tiwa Savage. Na only 5G una see.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Dpharisee: 10:12am On Apr 08, 2020
fairfora:
government would never tell you the truth about covid-19 because the figure is much more than reported . I just pity the north for hiding everything. Unfortunately, our govt would not prevent them from travelling to the south when the thing hits them hard. Local media are under threat. Only the foreign media would tell you the truth about our government. Can I ask you a question? Can you tell me where Buhari made his recent address in which he declared a lock down? Did you see channelstv, NTA or AIT speaker before him when making the address? No local news must challenge that. Only the foreign media, who has nothing to lose or gain from our government would tell you the truth. Only channelstv is trying in Nigeria and they always come under attack of the govt too, for saying the truth

Channels TV is Govt propaganda news. Have you ever seen them reporting what Boko Haram is doing to our troops or the onslaught against Boko Haram by Chadian forces?
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Luvinghubby: 10:15am On Apr 08, 2020
sapientia:
The reason is noble and just but should be replaced by a more relaxed policy.

Real verified news are also being circulated same way.

There should be a way to verify some messages and allow exactly same to be forwarded as many times as possible.

This policy means I can't share a real verified news I received too to people that might need it.

There should also be a way to take away fake news from circulation.

Wechat and other Chinese chat apps have such capabilities and they don't have access to funds that Mark have.

Whatsapp should come up with a way to have news voted fake or real if it concerns covid 19 then have the fake ones taken down.

You have a point, but don't you think that it will lead to 'censorship'.
Censorship is what led to the early spread of corona virus in China because the doctor who first observed the disease in Wuhan uploaded the message on wechat groups to warn people but it was censored and deleted automatically and the doctor was arrested by police.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Emeraldfynest(m): 10:15am On Apr 08, 2020
This is the way to go, I just laugh when my dad shows me some WhatsApp BCs pn his phone, like why will you believe this. I've told him not to forward any to me again, on Covid or not.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 08, 2020
Dpharisee:

Channels TV is Govt propaganda news. Have you ever seen them reporting what Boko Haram is doing to our troops or the onslaught against Boko Haram by Chadian forces?
If you read a few lines into the end of my post, you'd understand better why channels ignores some of the news. The fed govt had attacked them severally for airing factual news in the past so, they've taken caution. There was a time they wanted to shut down the station
That's why after each morning's political discussions on channelstv, they'd state clearly that the views and opinions of the invited guests and contributors are theirs and do not in anyway reflect the opinion of channels tv
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by GamalNasser: 10:16am On Apr 08, 2020
Niggmatic:
Good. At least GamalNasser will stop forwarding fake "5g is bad" broadcast to my phone. grin

You think so cheesy cheesy

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by fishjam: 10:17am On Apr 08, 2020
m
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by zoedew: 10:22am On Apr 08, 2020
Basher8583:

Well you will still need morons to use the app for it to be successful in thier fake news Champaign

WhatsApp still holds the highest numbers of users to date

Free speech will make an app peak in no time!
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by ogundeleai(m): 10:22am On Apr 08, 2020
Iro ni oo.... I just forward message to 5 contacts at once shortwhile ago
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by zoedew: 10:23am On Apr 08, 2020
Xisnin:

There are thousands of apps on the app store already, you can choose other options.

Exactly my point!

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by frankyychiji(f): 10:24am On Apr 08, 2020
herzernIsHere:
Any piece of information you receive on any online platform without a source (in form of a reputable news outlet website link) should be totally disregarded.

Reason I don't do WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook. Oh and Twitter!

Nairaland is sufficient.
I know a lot of people who avoid these apps too, just that they have criminal backgrounds the most.
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Niggmatic: 10:24am On Apr 08, 2020
GamalNasser:

You think so cheesy cheesy

Tested oh. Before you go begin shout say na 5g dey kill people for Ecuador. Ecuador currently has no 5g network deployment anywhere in the country.

Anyway, what'sapp need to hurry up. Who knows how many times you have forwarded this message today grin grin
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by GamalNasser: 10:26am On Apr 08, 2020
Niggmatic:

Tested oh. Before you go begin shout say na 5g dey kill people for Ecuador. Ecuador currently has no 5g network deployment anywhere in the country.

Anyway, what'sapp need to hurry up. Who knows how many times you have forwarded this message today grin grin

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures from Tecno Selfie contest in Lagos today / MTN GPRS on PC Using Phone Modem or Bluetooth? / GSM Phone User Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.