Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,374 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps (4894 Views)

Patricia Etteh Graduates From Buckingham University / Patricia Etteh Decamps From PDP To APC / $3m Bribery Scandal: Ex-speaker Patricia Etteh Blows Hot! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 06, 2007
What Do You Think Of The New Speaker?

Mrs Olubummi Patricia Etteh was yesterday sworn in as the Speaker of
the House of Representatives. She is said to be a beautician and posses a diploma in Law.

I am an advocate for gender balance but i believe things should be properly.

Do you think she has the qualification and political might to hold such a sensitive position? I don't.

I think she was put there to be a stooge, What do you think?
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by jandonguy: 10:31am On Jun 06, 2007
she's a woman and she wears glasses!!
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by angel101(f): 10:39am On Jun 06, 2007
jandonguy:

she's a woman and she wears glasses!!

?

@ poster who is she?
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Seun(m): 11:01am On Jun 06, 2007
I am an advocate for gender balance but i believe
What is it with women in Nigeria? Why must there be a "BUT" in your story? Why can't you just support each other?

a beautician and posses a diploma in Law | Do you think she has the qualification
Did President Obasanjo have a diploma in Law? Have you bothered to research the former speakers?
Mrs. Etteh is no longer a beautician, by the way. She has been in the house of representatives for 4 years.

I think you're only saying this because she is a woman. All politicians are 'stooges' in one way or the other.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Adurangba(f): 11:05am On Jun 06, 2007
Nigerians have problems - when nothing is done they complain - but when something is done - they complain more.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Seun(m): 11:11am On Jun 06, 2007
[img width=152 height=162]http://www.nassnig.org/senate/states_web%5B1%5D/assets/osunpix/patricia.jpg[/img]
Do you think she has the qualification and political might to hold such a sensitive position? I don't.
If she does not have the 'political might' to hold such a position, then how did she get chosen? You can become the speaker of the house without qualifications, but you can't get there without political clout!
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by viee(f): 11:19am On Jun 06, 2007
nice one, she has promised not to disappoint Nigerians (like they all do) i hope she abides by that
the lower house to me has always been more voacl than the Senate
i hope she will take it a step further by pursing laws that will have direct effect on the ordinary Nigerian
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by viee(f): 11:26am On Jun 06, 2007
nice one, she has promised that she will not disappoint Nigerians( like they always do) i hope she abides by that
the lower has been more vocal than the Senate and i hope she can take it a step further by
pursing laws that will have direct effect on the lives of millions of ordinary Nigeria

in any case, i belive e are really maturing in terms of gender issues
from state govenor to speaker house of Rep, is a giant leap
i must say too that Obj should be metioned as a pacestter since he really gave the women key roles in his administration to get the ball rolling

B T W whats wrong in being a beautician @ poster?assuming Mrs. Etteh was one?
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by bonastus(m): 11:32am On Jun 06, 2007
i think she is qualified and also since she has promised to deliver i believe she will work. Great Nigerian women are powerful now than before.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by ifezue(m): 11:33am On Jun 06, 2007
political pundits lol
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by jenny2007(f): 11:38am On Jun 06, 2007
i don't know why there is such a tense feeling about Mrs Etteh's appointment. Obj's administration (which is still in power, though in the shadows) have been doing very well in the empowerment of women. It has also promoted equal rihts and opportunities for both genders in Nigeria. Whether the woman is a beautician or not the fact remains that she has the experience and is a holder of school leaving certificate, which is what is required by our constitution. I am very proud of her and like other Nigerian women who have been given the chance to prove themselves in top positions (like Dora Akuyiliu, Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala, the former speaker of the House of Assembly in Ogun State (i don't remember her name now)) i think that Mrs Etteh would do well. All i want to know is, Is she the first Female Speaker of the House of Rep
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by needeeg(m): 11:42am On Jun 06, 2007
Nice one Seun cool
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Ronke2811(f): 12:30pm On Jun 06, 2007
FRANTICALLY SPEAKING BIG THUMPS UP FOR OUR DEAR NATION.
THIS IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST AND GIANT STEP / STRIDE FOR THE WOMEN IN THE COUNTRY.
THEY HAVE LEFT THE KITCHEN TO BE A VOICE THAT MUST BE HEARD.
AM VERY HAPPY COS I KNOW THAT COME 2011 I WILL BE HEADING FOR THE POLLS CONTESTING FOR LOCAL GOVT CHAIRPERSON.
I KNOW WITH GOD BY HER SIDE SHE WILL NOT DISAPPOINT US, SHE WILL LEAD WITH MUCH TRANSPARENCY AND INTEGRITY.
WEVE HAD WOMEN WHO HAD UPHOLD THEIR HUSBANDS NAME ( DORA, OBY (VICE PRESIDENT WORLD BANK AFRICA ))
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by angel101(f): 12:34pm On Jun 06, 2007
aisha2:

Have we forgotten Salisu Buhari? the first speaker of the house in the third republic ('99)
he didnt even have a school leaving certificate and i dont remember hearing anybody shout until he was exposed!

so please beautician or not, she deserves to be given a chance.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by vigasimple(m): 12:57pm On Jun 06, 2007
Hello everyone and thank you for your contributions.

To be perfect honest with you guys and gals,

DOES IT MAKE ANY DIFFRENCE whether is a man or woman. I care less as long as whoever is put in place is competent, able , willing and get the job done.

Most of the time if we can only focus on what needs to be done we shall be alright. Although we like to know whether someone is a man or women, his or her tribe and religion affilliation, it does shed some light on whom they maybe but not necessarily who they will be once they assume power

sometime less education and good intellectual ability is important. So if Mrs Etteh has less education and ability to bring House to order even better. I have said in one of my write up on Nigeria, the only reason why diffrent tribe or region are clamouring for their own people to be at the helm is primarily because incompetence of people who have ruled from a particular region , also born to rule mentality which clearly shows marginalisation of some other part of the country. And some who want their own peopl to be there so they can steal 'national cake'

THE DEBATE WE SHOULD BE HAVING IS ABOUT COMPETENT , CAPABLE, HONEST PEOPLE TO SERVE THEIR COUNTRY (women tends to in general be less corrupt and do their damn best)

The women before Mrs Etteh, as ministers have not disappoint. that also brings me to some of OBJ success which should be paraded with his failures.

I personally think that anytime we are criticising anybody or a leader we should also state their positive so that people or the leader can see that it is not personal and we are not just bunch of negative minded lunatics.

GOd bless and make Nigeria  A Great Country
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 06, 2007
If we as women are going to move forward we have do it for the right reasons. Women like Dora akunyuli, Okonjo Iwela were trained professionals and technocrats. All i am saying is that the right Men and women should be in the right positions. We should be forward thinking, we should not just want a woman that will be there we should want a person that can do us proud.
Anyway i would like to give her the benefit of doubt.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by needeeg(m): 1:43pm On Jun 06, 2007
I really enjoy reading your reply Viga, u r quite right as u said lets the debate be on COMPETENT , CAPABLE, HONEST PEOPLE TO SERVE THE COUNTRY, not be thinking she doesn't have the political might to hold her position.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by nikynike(f): 1:48pm On Jun 06, 2007
Cool game. She played her card very well. I believe she will execute her duties perfectly though no one is perfect.
lm happy women have started joining the race. And very soon, we will move to second person in the country. In this case, her tribe doesn't matter but the priviledge matters. l will pray for her successful tenure.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by needeeg(m): 1:57pm On Jun 06, 2007
Nice Nikynike, that's a proud to u guys, and Aisha seems to gate it.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by GNature(m): 2:42pm On Jun 06, 2007

If we as women are going to move forward we have do it for the right reasons. Women like Dora akunyuli, Okonjo Iwela were trained professionals and technocrats.

Now let's see

The woman has held the position of minority chief whip and has 4 years of legislative experience. She also has a diploma in law, she went to law school at the university of abuja. Don't you think she qualifies as a trained professional ?
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by joey22(f): 4:39pm On Jun 06, 2007
i think she will make a difference.if she is not good, she wont be voted in for second term.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by LadyTi1(f): 8:24pm On Jun 06, 2007
I was opportuned to watch the swearing in ceremony live on NTA yesterday and I personally think it was a great sight to behold. I don't know much about the Nigerian system of governance or indeed Mrs Etteh's political CV so I can't comment much on whether or not she is right for the position.

But to learn that she is the FIRST FEMALE SPEAKER ever in Nigeria is something to be celebrated because it shows that our great Nation is making progress.

I really think we should give her a chance to prove herself after all no one is born with the experience for any job. We all have to learn new skills at some point in our lives.

I thought she looked fabulous!! Let's celebrate her!!
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by LondonCool(m): 1:38am On Jun 07, 2007
GNature:

Now let's see

The woman has held the position of minority chief whip and has 4 years of legislative experience. She also has a diploma in law, she went to law school at the university of abuja. Don't you think she qualifies as a trained professional ?

How did she go to Law School with a Diploma in Law ?
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by GNature(m): 7:21am On Jun 07, 2007
Correction !

She didn't go to Nigerian Law School, but has a diploma in law from university of abuja. my error.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Everbright(f): 7:42am On Jun 07, 2007
@ topic what is your problem with a woman being the speaker of the house
Have you taken time out to review these:
When Kema Chikwe was the ministe r of Aviation,did you hear sosoliso crash
What do you think made OBJ remove Okonjo-Iweala
What difference can you perceive in the health sector
I think women are home makers and can as well be nation makers if given the chance and support especially from fellow women like you sad
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by angel101(f): 8:46am On Jun 07, 2007
aisha2:

If we as women are going to move forward we have do it for the right reasons. Women like Dora akunyuli, Okonjo Iwela were trained professionals and technocrats. All i am saying is that the right Men and women should be in the right positions. We should be forward thinking, we should not just want a woman that will be there we should want a person that can do us proud.
Anyway i would like to give her the benefit of doubt.

What qualification do u suppose is required to be the speaker of the house?
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by hayo(m): 12:59pm On Jun 07, 2007
Well, it is her 3rd time in the house , I just hope she performs well to show the men folk how to do things right!
Congrats mam!
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by koko777(m): 2:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
smiley @aisha2. Nice thread, lets see how it goes, she may turn out to perform creditably well like her folks, Ngozi okonjo- iweala, Dora akunyili, oby ezekwesili. it's not always abt a volume of certificates. As regards political clout, my sis she's got it, without which she wouldn't hv been chosen in the first place, politics in Nigeria is all about intrigues, full of serious lobbying and manipulations. Inshort lets see how she play out but i'm confident she won't disappoint Nigerians.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by femol(m): 7:59pm On Jun 07, 2007
She's a beautician and she's got a diploma in Law, Note, in addition , she was said to enrol and has NOW got a degree in LAW. It was also reported that she has been doing well in all her roles in the house, such that she was sent to Harvard , and so on. Though, I dont know what 'she did well' means oooo. but, I learnt she's strict. Maybe she's another Dora, Ngozi , Let's wait and see, hoping for the best!!!!!
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Coleslove: 9:57pm On Jun 07, 2007
Now Nigeria is growing again
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by laudate: 4:58pm On Jun 08, 2007
Lady-Ti:

But to learn that she is the FIRST FEMALE SPEAKER ever in Nigeria is something to be celebrated because it shows that our great Nation is making progress.

I think one or two states also had female speakers, in their own state house of assembly, long before now. If I remember correctly, the former Ogun state house of assembly had a woman as its' speaker - the Rt. Honourable Titi Oseni.
Re: Patricia Etteh: New Speaker Of House Of Reps by Iman3(m): 5:05pm On Jun 08, 2007
Utterly underwhelming.Not particularly well educated,being euphemistic here. . .
Is this really the best we can get?

I missed the part that she was previously a beautician.Great,the culture of mediocrity.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Pledges To Constitute Parallel Govt If 2015 Election Is Rigged / List Of Incubent Lawmakers Who Were Defeated In The APC Primaries In Lagos State / Inaccurate View Of The North By Southern Nigerians - Mark Amaza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.