Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites (1725 Views)

Latinos Are Twice More Likely Than Whites To Want A Covid Vaccine, But Cite Fear / American Man Asks Why Nigerians Are Not Dying From Corona Virus, See The Replies / Jesse Otegbayo Recovers From COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Litmus: 11:15pm On Apr 08, 2020
"Our ability to fully understand and confront this pandemic requires and demands that we obtain racial data now," one advocate said.
By Erin Einhorn

In Chicago, a recent report found that 70 percent of people who died from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, are black — even though the city's population is just 30 percent black.

In Milwaukee County, which is 27 percent black, the figure is 81 percent. And public health officials tracking the coronavirus have seen similar disproportionate impacts on African Americans in Philadelphia, Detroit and other cities.

But just how widespread the disparities might be across the country is difficult to know, because most states and the federal government haven't released demographic data on the race or ethnicity of people who've tested positive for the virus. That's created an information gap that could aggravate existing health disparities, prevent cities and states from equitably distributing medical resources and potentially violate the law, advocates say.

"Civil rights laws prohibit federally funded health care providers from administering services in a discriminatory manner," said Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, which joined with medical professionals Monday to call for the immediate release of racial and ethnic data on coronavirus infections, testing and deaths. "Our ability to fully understand and confront this pandemic requires and demands that we obtain racial data now.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/african-americans-may-be-dying-covid-19-higher-rate-better-n1178011

BAME groups hit harder by Covid-19 than white people, UK study suggests
Research indicates virus has disproportionate impact on non-white critically ill patients

Early research into the first patients critically ill with Covid-19 in UK hospitals indicates that black and Asian people are more likely to be badly affected by coronavirus than white people.

The Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre found that 35% of almost 2,000 patients were non-white, nearly triple the 13% proportion in the UK population as a whole.

Fourteen per cent of those with the most serious cases were Asian and the same proportion were black, according to the study, which has triggered calls for further research to understand why the virus appears to be having a disproportionate impact on non-white ethnic groups.

The study is thought to be the first analysis of its kind anywhere in the world looking at the ethnic breakdown of cases of the virus. On Tuesday the confirmed number of deaths in NHS services among people with a confirmed case of the virus rose to 6,159 people, with more who died at home, in hospices and in care settings yet to be counted.

The study examined admissions to a sample of 286 critical care units in England, Wales and Northern Ireland with confirmed Covid-19 up until noon on 3 April. It also showed the median age of those in a critical condition of all ethnicities was 61 and that almost three quarters were men.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/bame-groups-hit-harder-covid-19-than-white-people-uk
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by toffyz(m): 11:17pm On Apr 08, 2020
k
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by FocusedDiva(f): 11:24pm On Apr 08, 2020
This is a matter of concern! let's just hope there is nothing sinister about this.
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by mymadam(m): 11:35pm On Apr 08, 2020
FocusedDiva:
This is a matter of concern! let's just hope there is nothing sinister about this.
Like the blacks are being intentionally left to die? Hmmm... food for thought!

4 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Blackking98(m): 11:36pm On Apr 08, 2020
mymadam:

Like the blacks are being intentionally left to die? Hmmm... food for thought!
I'm equally thinking in this lane a little. Why aren't indigenous Africans dieing like their British and American black counterpart?

3 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Cruzzygraphics4: 11:40pm On Apr 08, 2020
Hmm, if this is truth then what happen to the equal right law

1 Like

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Wilstino: 11:42pm On Apr 08, 2020
FocusedDiva:

I don't think so. How about Italy? How do explain their situation. I think it's more to do with the poor, unhealthy lifestyle of the blacks in these countries. They are the poorest amongst the race and more susceptible to ailment like diabetes, obesity, etc due to the unhealthy living and lack of access to adequate healthcare. These makes them more vulnerable to the virus.

11 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by redsun(m): 11:45pm On Apr 08, 2020
The same reason why there is high black on black murders in the ghettos; inherent poverty and systematic deprivation.

Before they talk rubbish about race, let them compare how many have died so far in Africa to see whether it is a black man or white man's disease.

1 Like

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Lipscomb(m): 11:45pm On Apr 08, 2020
What about Italy. Media will not let us be with their baseless accusations.

2 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by HigherEd: 11:48pm On Apr 08, 2020
Jeez

1 Like

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Nobody: 11:52pm On Apr 08, 2020
Democrats controlled newsrooms.
They will rather spread conspiracy theories than measures to combat coronavirus.

I spit on them.
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by sapientia(m): 1:48am On Apr 09, 2020
So?
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by 0m0nnakoda: 1:52am On Apr 09, 2020
Black people eat too much,are overweight, diabetic and poor
Go into Macdonald's na only them waka come

2 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by OgaTheTop2: 1:53am On Apr 09, 2020
The racist at work... Total conspiracy. They wont mention many of white people, I mean 'many' of white people who died of covid-19 unnoticed in their homes. Don't trust western report, especially reports coming from America..

2 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by OruExpress: 1:55am On Apr 09, 2020
Medical resources are scarce and white are getting priority
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by DriggityDre: 1:58am On Apr 09, 2020
Wilstino:

I don't think so. How about Italy? How do explain their situation. I think it's more to do with the poor, unhealthy lifestyle of the blacks in these countries. They are the poorest amongst the race and more susceptible to ailment like diabetes, obesity, etc due to the unhealthy living and lack of access to adequate healthcare. These makes them more vulnerable to the virus.
On point.

2 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by 0m0nnakoda: 2:03am On Apr 09, 2020
OgaTheTop2:
The racist at work... Total conspiracy. They wont mention many of white people, I mean 'many' of white people who died of covid-19 unnoticed in their homes. Don't trust western report, especially reports coming from America..
How do you reason

People are asking questions so they can understand and find a solution . In medicine many conditions affect whites more.
Black men suffer more from prostate cancer in th UK and more from hypertension in the US it could be blackness diet or something else first statisticians pick it up the scientists try to figure out why

Here you are playing victim, are you Ibo? Ibos always play victim

2 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by cdyfoundation(m): 2:50am On Apr 09, 2020
Ok
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by tophumble(m): 2:53am On Apr 09, 2020
Racism things on point

It means the white are getting more medical attention than the black. Shikena

3 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by ItooWorWor(m): 8:12am On Apr 09, 2020
shocked tell me somthing, so whites are invincible while blacks are visible to coronavirus, racism racism everywhere you go.
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Mizwisdom(f): 8:19am On Apr 09, 2020
We know they're being denied proper treatment

3 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Fiestafetta: 8:58am On Apr 09, 2020
Concerning the rate at which black people are dying of this covid19, what I've been able to gather is that, black people are the most expose to this covid19 in the US and UK, for instance they live most in remote place without proper hygiene, they are mainly essential workers ranging ranging from taxi/cab drivers, hospital attendants, receptionists, clerks, and many hazardous jobs, they take public transport to work and eat junk food in restaurants, coupled with they hardly get tested or having access to quality health care. Though, government should carry out thorough investigation to ascertain the major cause....

1 Like

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by jesmond3945: 9:47am On Apr 09, 2020
Now I know many Nairalanders are fools. They told you black people are dying more than whites and you believe them. Anything for propaganda safe. Fools. Probably there are more black people in France, Italy and spain than whites.

2 Likes

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Fiestafetta: 10:08am On Apr 09, 2020
jesmond3945:
Now I know many Nairalanders are fools. They told you black people are dying more than whites and you believe them. Anything for propaganda safe. Fools. Probably there are more black people in France, Italy and spain than whites.
checkingproperly, you are the only fool I can see here, you that can't even make a contributions without insult, you did not make any positive points, you should have back your propaganda claim with verifiable facts. I never used to attack people online but seeing your comment ehhn, I weep for your background...

1 Like

Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by jesmond3945: 10:18am On Apr 09, 2020
Fiestafetta:
checkingproperly, you are the only fool I can see here, you that can't even make a contributions without insult, you did not make any positive points, you should have back your propaganda claim with verifiable facts. I never used to attack people online but seeing your comment ehhn, I weep for your background...
if this was a white man's forum all hell would break loose. Infact some would demand the website to retract the story but as usual Africa is dumping ground for garbage.
Re: Black Americans And Black Brits Dying From COVID At A Higher Rate Than Whites by Boxtmakl: 11:35am On Apr 09, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Fertility Journey. WTF211218CP updated / This Sleep Paralysis Thing / Ifeanyi Adeleke Is Alive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.