Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,826 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents (5564 Views)

The Most Emotional Pictures You've Ever Seen? / Dead Woman Made To ‘Pound Yam’ During Her Lying-In-State (Warning: Scary Photo) / Warning, Graphic Photos-decomposed Corpses Of 28 Ipob Members Killed Found (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 11:59am On Apr 09, 2020
The story I am about to share is deeply disturbing. The photos are graphic and devastating. so please be aware of this if you decide to proceed.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:00pm On Apr 09, 2020
Many years ago I saw a photo that horrified me. For a moment I thought that it was a scene from a horror movie, but the truth was worse than any horror I could ever imagine.

It was a photo of a healthy young girl dying, in front of cameras, surrounded by people, trying to rescue her. Years passed, but I could never forget this girl or her story. Her name was Omayra Sánchez.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:02pm On Apr 09, 2020
Omayra was a 13-year-old Colombian girl, who lived with her mom, dad, brother and aunt in a town called Armero, located below the Nevado del Ruiz volcano.

On November 13, 1985, the volcano erupted, and created huge mud/landslides that completely buried the town. Out of 31,000 people who lived in the area, about 22,000 died.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:03pm On Apr 09, 2020
When mudslides destroyed Omayra’s house, her dad and aunt died, and she became trapped under concrete and debris, and could not free herself.

Divers discovered that Sánchez's legs were caught under a door made of bricks, with her aunt's arms clutched tightly around her legs and feet

Omayra managed to get her hand out of the ruins, so the rescue workers discovered her. During the course of that first day, they managed to clear the debris and wood that surrounded her, but realized that her legs were trapped in such a way that it was impossible to get her out.

At this time, she was still positive. She talked to reporters and rescue workers, sang, and asked for sweets and soda.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:04pm On Apr 09, 2020
Rescue workers tried different ways of freeing her, but nothing worked. When they tried pulling her out, they realized that it was impossible to do so without breaking her legs in the process. Also, each time they tried pulling her, the level of water rose around her.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:06pm On Apr 09, 2020
As her ordeal went on, Omayra became scared. Her spirits went down and she cried and prayed.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:08pm On Apr 09, 2020
This lasted for three days. No attempts of rescuing her worked. As the last attempt they considered forcefully pulling her out. However, they discovered that Omayra’s legs were bent as if she was kneeling, and that if they did this, the legs would get severed.

Doctors who were present discussed this option, but decided that she would not survive this maneuver, because they did not have surgical equipment to save her from the effects of amputation.

They concluded that it would be more humane to let her die.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:10pm On Apr 09, 2020
As end was coming close, Omayra started hallucinating. She spoke of being late for school and mentioned a math exam.

Her face become swollen, her eyes reddened and her hands become white.

She died on November 16th either from gangrene or hypothermia.

Cameras recorded her message to her mother, who was out of town when this happened:

Mom, if you are listening, and I guess you are, pray for me to be able to walk and that these people help me. Mommy, I love you and Dad and my brother. Goodbye, Mom.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:11pm On Apr 09, 2020
I sometimes wish I could unsee/unknow Omayra’s story.

On the other hand, I feel that it deserves to be known and spoken about, so that these kind of tragedies do not repeat in the future.

So that she does not simply vanish into nothingness.

After Omayra’s tragic death, just as the death of thousands of people of Armero, many questions arose. If the residents were warned and evacuated on time, so many people could have been saved. Secondly, the rescue workers did not have many of the basic tools they needed to rescue Omayra and other survivors.

Some people heard Omayra’s story before, as well as others read about her for the first time. I wanted to help make a tribute on her bravery and good spirit. The woman name should-be recognized for what she had been, a brave little fighter.

i'm so sorry that the girl light went, equally I became beginning my life, a huge number of miles away.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:11pm On Apr 09, 2020
Thank God for Nigeria
Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 09, 2020
Brytesp:
Thank God for Nigeria
Op why naw, you just make and elderly person emotional.
Shai what a way to die.
They could have used an excavator, dig,dig it deep 2 feet behind her and at her front or better let's say 5feet and bring out both her and anything obstructing her naw that way, they can work out possible way to save her.

Cc Lalasticlala

4th picture, she was really optimistic and she even smiled, the 7th picture broke my heart, she has lost all hope already, what a cruel way to die.

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Evergreen4(m): 12:33pm On Apr 09, 2020
Wow a touching story. She was indeed a fighter.
Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Brytesp(m): 12:41pm On Apr 09, 2020
southniyikaye:
Op why naw, you just make and elderly person emotional.
Shai what a way to die.
They could have used an excavator, dig,dig it deep 2 feet behind her and at her front or better let's say 5feet and bring out both her and anything obstructing her naw that way, they can work out possible way to save her.

Cc Lalasticlala

4th picture, she was really optimistic and she even smiled, the 7th picture broke my heart, she has lost all hope already, what a cruel way to die.

I think with you way she was stuck beneath the rubles and her legs were in a kneeling position, they tried and It was impossible to free her and even if they amputated her legs there was a 100% chance that she wouldn't make it... I felt so sad for her
Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 09, 2020
Brytesp:

I think with you way she was stuck beneath the rubles and her legs were in a kneeling position, they tried and It was impossible to free her and even if they amputated her legs there was a 100% chance that she wouldn't make it... I felt so sad for her
an excavator will bring out both the rumbles and everything obstructing her cos I didn't see one in the pics, my thought though

1 Like

Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Ebenezer2021(m): 12:17pm On Apr 17, 2020
Eulalia come and read and shed tears a little
Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 17, 2020
Sad story.
Re: What Is The Most Emotional Picture You Have Ever Seen?( Warning Graphic Contents by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 17, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
Eulalia come and read and shed tears a little

So sad nothing could be done to save her.
Such a beautiful girl. Hm...

I'm just speechless.

(1) (Reply)

Politrix Is A Dirty Game / 19 Year Old Nigerian Girl in UK Looking for Her Parents in Nigeria / He Snapped This Picture Before Committing Suicide (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.