Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,202 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? (13764 Views)

/ Nigeria Investigating Connection Between Niger Delta Militants And IPOB - Sahara / Mastermind Of Kenya Mall Attack, Escaped Being Caught In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by wazobia200: 9:09am On Jan 03, 2011
"Is there an anthropological connection between the Luo of Kenya and the Igbo of Nigeria"?

"These are two major ethnic groups living thousands of miles apart.But surprising similarities exist in their norms,beliefs,values,names of people and places.Both Luo and Igbo are the first to admit the similarities but no one seems to have an explanation.Names such as Okoye,Akomo,Gombe,(Luo,Igbo)Okonkwo(Igbo… Okongo(Luo) mean the same thing in both languages.Akomo means born during a harvest".

DISCUSS.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by experience(m): 10:21am On Jan 03, 2011
Any Luo in the house?, plus do they own Kenya wink ?
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by Abagworo(m): 10:46am On Jan 03, 2011
No there is no known link except that we are all Africans.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by komando7(m): 11:24am On Jan 03, 2011
Interesting. Also I heared that Barrak Obama's great grand father, a Luo from Kenya was also originaly from the Igbo area of Kalabari.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by seanet02: 11:31am On Jan 03, 2011
komando7:

Interesting. Also I heared that Barrak Obama's great grand father, a Luo from Kenya was also originaly from the Igbo area of Kalabari.
MUGUDEEN. FOOLUDEEN,STUPIDEEN!!!!
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by aljharem11(m): 11:56am On Jan 03, 2011
komando7:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1st it is jews

second it is the egyptians

3rd it is black jew

4th it is african american

now it is kenya

kai grin grin grin grin grin
we igbo have a long way to go in accepting our identity grin smh

1 Like

Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by Abagworo(m): 12:21pm On Jan 03, 2011
I just discovered a site claiming that Igbos are of East African descent.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/120/653/625839/Buganda
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by nobaga: 4:04pm On Jan 03, 2011
No ethnic group finds a comfortable relations inside Nigeria, always in far places as China, Egypt, Israel etc.

Wake up and accept yourselves for what you are. What you are looking for in China is right here in Nigeria.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2011
komando7:

That's right! Not only Barrak Obama. George Bush, Bill Clinton, George Bush snr, Ronald Reagan, all had ibo ancestors.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by SEFAGO(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2011
http://igbopeople..com/

Omo nna will claim you no matter what grin
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by wazobia200: 7:05pm On Jan 03, 2011
experience:

Any Luo in the house?, plus do they own Kenya  wink ?

No the Kikuyu tribe dominate commerce in kenya.

By the way nairobi is way more advanced than lagos and abuja combined and they dont have oil or any major mineral resources like we do.

1 Like

Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 14, 2011
nobaga said:

No ethnic group finds a comfortable relations inside Nigeria, always in far places as China, Egypt, Israel etc.

Wake up and accept yourselves for what you are. What you are looking for in China is right here in Nigeria.

That's nonsense. History is history. If you know anything about African history you will know that there have been great migrations throughout the continent since early times. It is right therefore, that people seek to know where they came from and when.

1 Like

Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:28pm On Feb 14, 2011
ROSSIKE:

nobaga said:

That's nonsense. History is history. If you know anything about African history you will know that there have been great migrations throughout the continent since early times. It is right therefore, that people seek to know where they came from and when.

. . .
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by kettykin: 11:31am On Jan 21, 2013
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by PaulJohn1: 12:37pm On Jan 21, 2013
alj harem1: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1st it is jews

second it is the egyptians

3rd it is black jew

4th it is african american

now it is kenya

kai grin grin grin grin grin
we igbo have a long way to go in accepting our identity grin smh

grin grin
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by tpia5: 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
Why not binis?
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
nobaga: No ethnic group finds a comfortable relations inside Nigeria, always in far places as China, Egypt, Israel etc.

You are wrong and anti-intellectual. The vast majority of African people have a history of ancient migration. Either from north to south, or via east Africa to west. You need to study African history.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
Abagworo: I just discovered a site claiming that Igbos are of East African descent.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/120/653/625839/Buganda
I don't think they're of east African descent per se. It could be that a residue of them remained in east Africa following migrations from further north. Egypt and the levant (middle east) had huge black populations in antiquity.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by SONYANGO: 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2016
Well, I am Luo from Kenya. I have read quite abit of nigerian litereture and going by what I read , there is alot of similarities in names, culture,etc. between the igbos and luos. Names Like Okoye (Luo Okoye), Okachi (Luo- Okach), Agali (Luo Ogali), Okocha (Luo okochi) ojukwu (Luo Ojuku) Amadi (Luo Amadi) and several others are very similar.There is also Kano in Nigeria and Kano in luo nyanza. When i read elechi amadis concubine for example, the cultural similarities shocked me. From rites like the second burial, which luos reffer to as loso sao, to things like not calling small pox with its real name , to taking care of brothers compound, to the burial rites where youths wear twigs and mourn ,the hooting of the owl being a sign of death,and many many more. I once listened to One proffessor gem ogutu, a luo himself teaching at the university of nairobi, trying to explain this on radio, but he was not very clear. More scholarly research is still required to check out on any connections, which i believe is highly likely.

4 Likes

Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by EternalTruths: 5:43pm On Dec 15, 2016
SONYANGO:
Well, I am Luo from Kenya. I have read quite abit of nigerian litereture and going by what I read , there is alot of similarities in names, culture,etc. between the igbos and luos. Names Like Okoye (Luo Okoye), Okachi (Luo- Okach), Agali (Luo Ogali), Okocha (Luo okochi) ojukwu (Luo Ojuku) Amadi (Luo Amadi) and several others are very similar.There is also Kano in Nigeria and Kano in luo nyanza. When i read elechi amadis concubine for example, the cultural similarities shocked me. From rites like the second burial, which luos reffer to as loso sao, to things like not calling small pox with its real name , to taking care of brothers compound, to the burial rites where youths wear twigs and mourn ,the hooting of the owl being a sign of death,and many many more. I once listened to One proffessor gem ogutu, a luo himself teaching at the university of nairobi, trying to explain this on radio, but he was not very clear. More scholarly research is still required to check out on any connections, which i believe is highly likely.

Tell me more about your people

If possible, pls post pics and YouTube videos of your people's interaction with one another cool

2 Likes

Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by chiefobdk(m): 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2016
SONYANGO:

We will like to kno. .
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by chiefobdk(m): 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2016
SONYANGO:

We will like to kno. . More about the luo tribe.
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by hitmanogo: 3:37am On Jun 08, 2021
I will like to know more about the Luo people
Re: Is There An Anthropological Connection Between The Igbos And The Luo Of Kenya? by LuQuLuQu(m): 6:13am On Jun 08, 2021
SEFAGO:
http://igbopeople..com/

Omo nna will claim you no matter what grin

Ofemman.u will laugh at their own stupidity

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Embassy Attacked In Guinea Bissau / Rochas Okorocha Celebrates His 53rd Birthday Today! / Why We Are Celebrating Democracy Day On June 12 – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.