Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,372 members, 7,822,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Pain From My Shoes Made Me Start A Shoe Designing Company-ceo Monalisa A. Azeh - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Pain From My Shoes Made Me Start A Shoe Designing Company-ceo Monalisa A. Azeh (532 Views)

Snake Found Hiding Inside A Shoe (video) / Monalisa Stephen Body-Shamed Over Her Stretch Marks By Fellow Woman. She Reacts / MAKE yourself a SHOE this 2019!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pain From My Shoes Made Me Start A Shoe Designing Company-ceo Monalisa A. Azeh by Pearlspar: 3:20pm On Apr 09, 2020
My name is Monalisa Abimbola Azeh and I am CEO of Mona Matthews.

Let me tell you a story.

Early Career
I studied law and practiced for over 15 years before I launched out into a totally different world.
I started designing shoes in 1999 for myself because I couldn't find the kind of shoes I liked in my size.

Why? Because I have extra wide feet.
At a point, I used to take paracetamol before going to a party. I am serious.

In fact, I was like Cinderella. I timed how long I could stay out and once the time was up, I was out of the event no matter how much fun I was having.

As I was still practicing law, I needed to wear black court shoes. It was hell. I forgot to mention one foot, my right foot is wider than my left. Everybody has one foot slightly wider than the other but mine is extreme. This is because I have a bunion on it. (That is the bone at the base of my big toe juts out. )

My right foot is one size wider than my left and very often I would have my right shoe actually splitting in the middle arrghgh!

How I Got Into The Shoe Business Proper
So I started designing shoes for myself that was creative, interesting and comfortable.
I found a really great leather market where I could buy all that I needed to make shoes and bags.

So fast forward to 2002 and Mona Matthews https://www.monamatthews.com was born.

I started from home by taking orders from my customers and outsourcing production to my team of shoemakers.
This has actually helped us in this season because we haven't had to stop production completely.

1 Like

Re: Pain From My Shoes Made Me Start A Shoe Designing Company-ceo Monalisa A. Azeh by CreepyBlackpool: 3:38pm On Apr 09, 2020
well my passion for art made me start drawing so
contact me for your quality digital portraits, cartoon pics, cover art

Re: Pain From My Shoes Made Me Start A Shoe Designing Company-ceo Monalisa A. Azeh by dawnomike(m): 4:14pm On Apr 09, 2020
That is an example of how problem can pave your way into entrepreneurial life...
Re: Pain From My Shoes Made Me Start A Shoe Designing Company-ceo Monalisa A. Azeh by buniondr(m): 8:27am On Mar 13, 2023
Wow, Monalisa Abimbola Azeh, thank you for sharing your inspiring story! It's amazing how you turned your personal struggle with finding comfortable shoes for your extra wide feet into a successful shoe business. It takes a lot of courage to switch careers and start a new venture, especially one that is so different from your previous profession. I admire your creativity and dedication to providing stylish and comfortable shoes for women like yourself. It's great to hear that your business has been able to continue production during this challenging time. Keep up the great work!

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Fairly Used Manual Sewing Machine. / 8 Beautiful Work From Home Outfit Ideas / Braiding Hairstyles 2020 For Ladies: Top 10 Best Hairstyles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.