Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,953 members, 7,828,352 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs (1269 Views)

Moderna's Coronavirus Vaccine Is 94.5% Effective, According To Company Data / First Trials Of Coronavirus Vaccine Carried Out With Mum-of-two Among Patients / Latest Worldwide Cases Of Coronavirus (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by phrap(m): 11:11pm On Apr 11, 2020
how soon will we have a coronavirus vaccine.

But scientists are also working on treatments for patients who already have the infection. These could save lives and alleviate suffering in the meantime.

One of four drugs being tested in experiments overseen by the World Health Organization is remdesivir. Two-thirds of 53 patients given the drug in a US clinical trial showed signs of improvement.

The trial began when scientists looked at drugs that had shown promise against the Sars or Mers coronaviruses, which killed hundreds of people in 2003 and 2012, the WHO’s chief scientist, Dr Soumya Swaminathan told the BBC.

But she warned that the remdesivir trial had no control group, meaning there were no patients in the experiment who did not take the drug, and therefore no way of comparing the results.

Although scientists hope the initial signs will prove to be correct, Dr Swaminathan explained, there was no way of knowing currently if and by how much the drug benefited patients.

“We're doing everything we can to speed up enrolment [in the trial] but I think this epidemic is going to be with us some time,” she warned.
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by ipobarethieves: 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2020
God will not sleep
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by dawnomike(m): 11:20pm On Apr 11, 2020
I think woth this whole noise upandan I would rather a drug is develop to treat patients than a vaccine... So, that we can all rest from the noise of conspiracy theories
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by DaddyGngeess(m): 11:21pm On Apr 11, 2020
That is good
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by Totilopussylick(m): 11:37pm On Apr 11, 2020
Read your comments before posting it olodo tongue
dawnomike:
I think woth this whole noise upandan I would rather a drug is develop to treat patients than a vaccine... So, that we can all rest from the noise of conspiracy theories
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by dawnomike(m): 11:55pm On Apr 11, 2020
dawnomike:
I think with this whole noise upandan abt the vaccine, I would rather a drug is developed to treat patients than a vaccine... So, that we can all rest from the noise of conspiracy theories
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by Friendlyjoe: 11:58pm On Apr 11, 2020
I pray it works fine
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by BankyGee(m): 12:03am On Apr 12, 2020
Nice one from the USA...
What of that Nigerian Professor that was making mouth and looking for someone to do 'testing microphone' with? Nigerians and mouth sha. I hail thee undecided

1 Like

Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by SpecialAdviser(m): 12:04am On Apr 12, 2020
ipobarethieves:
God will not sleep

Does he? He doesn't.
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by abobote: 12:12am On Apr 12, 2020
speed up please, I'm really wasting at home in the name of lockdown

1 Like

Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by KirkoBlack: 1:59am On Apr 12, 2020
That's the only good news I've heard in nearly a month.
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 12, 2020
BankyGee:
Nice one from the USA...
What of that Nigerian Professor that was making mouth and looking for someone to do 'testing microphone' with? Nigerians and mouth sha. I hail thee undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by tonididdy(m): 6:40am On Apr 12, 2020
Totilopussylick:
Read your comments before posting it olodo tongue
You are the real olodo if you think a vaccine and a drug are the same thing.
Re: US Trial Of Coronavirus Vaccine Is Showing Promising Signs by verifiablefacts: 8:32am On Apr 12, 2020
phrap:
how soon will we have a coronavirus vaccine.

But scientists are also working on treatments for patients who already have the infection. These could save lives and alleviate suffering in the meantime.

One of four drugs being tested in experiments overseen by the World Health Organization is remdesivir. Two-thirds of 53 patients given the drug in a US clinical trial showed signs of improvement.

The trial began when scientists looked at drugs that had shown promise against the Sars or Mers coronaviruses, which killed hundreds of people in 2003 and 2012, the WHO’s chief scientist, Dr Soumya Swaminathan told the BBC.

But she warned that the remdesivir trial had no control group, meaning there were no patients in the experiment who did not take the drug, and therefore no way of comparing the results.

Although scientists hope the initial signs will prove to be correct, Dr Swaminathan explained, there was no way of knowing currently if and by how much the drug benefited patients.

“We're doing everything we can to speed up enrolment [in the trial] but I think this epidemic is going to be with us some time,” she warned.

US and propaganda, where is the Trump chloroquine, they claimed does winders.

(1) (Reply)

Dr Russell Blaylock: Face Masks Pose Serious Risks To The Healthy / Does Taken Felvin For Menstrual Pain Prevent One Chance Of Getting Pregnant? / Super Fruits For Healthy Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.