Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,581 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Opinions On The National Briefing (COVID 19) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinions On The National Briefing (COVID 19) (399 Views)

Wike Berates Army GOC During Security Briefing In Rivers State (Photos) / Atiku At His Briefing With United States Institute Of Peace- Pictures / Presidency Awaits Briefing On Kemi Adeosun’s NYSC Certificate Forgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinions On The National Briefing (COVID 19) by Micholo5(m): 8:49pm On Apr 14, 2020
So I was opportuned to listen to the National Briefing today (14/04/2020) on RayPower FM, some mentions caught my attention and I will like to discuss two.
1. A reporter directed a question to the Honorable Minister of Education, asking about what is being done to educate wards admist the lockdown measures. The Minister mentioned the E-Learning process where there will be broadcasted lectures on the TV perhaps the Radio too. He mentioned that this had been in the ministry's plan.
I personally think this plan is not a well thought-through one or perhaps still just in the saying(You know what I mean),the headline looks attractive but the proper implementation of this plan boils down to some certain factors: Power Supply; For the government to embark on a plan like the above's, there must be a good supply of power/electricity to virtually all areas of the nation.(We've got students everywhere but not power/electricity).
Another factor: Internet Connectivity; I think this concerns the Tertiary Education Sector, for online lectures to be implemented,a lot has to be put in place on the part of the learning institutions which I think many don't have the resources to do, on the part of the recipients(students) some students don't have access to an internet enabled device(speaking for the minority), also speaking about connecting to these supposed lectures, a large volume of data would be needed.(Trust me, you don't want to put this burden on the parents).Or perhaps it would be a data- free initiative.
Lastly on the education sector, I am surprised to see the NANS silent on this issue. What's the government actions for the post-COVID 19 era? There's still the issue of ASUU. There should be an ongoing talks between the parties.(There can't be any strike after the lockdown measures).
Concerning the Secondary Education and lower, the ministry should be drafting out plans for the post-COVID 19 era too.
2. Concerning the exponential increase in crime rates in areas of Lagos and Ogun States: I saw a news that says the government has given out palliatives to the vulnerable citizens of the nations. When we talk about vulnerable citizens, do you neglect the young people(From age 18-30) that depends on daily hustle to make ends meet? They can't hustle, they can't make ends meet.
Now, considering the Abule Egba - Ifo axis, you'll agree that there are large number of companies/factories that are the source of income for a significant number of people. Now the companies can't operate, which literally means there's no pay for the workers, you could argue that that FG said salaries would be paid, well maybe but not in the Private Sector. Considering that a company's workforce consists of the Company Staffs, the Contract Staffs, and the Casual Staffs, a company that has an equal number of personnel in the three categories mentioned above will have about 67% of its workforce without pay. Let's do a quick maths. {(67%*x)*n: where x=average no of workers in a company; n=no of companies in the axis}.
That's a large number of vulnerable citizens.
Idleness + Lack= Crime.
To be clear, I am by no means saying that the miscreants committing crimes are justified(definitely not), but not all persons are on the same level of A.Q(Adversity Quotient).
So I hope the FG will put the vulnerable people in mind.
SignsOut
Michael I.

(1) (Reply)

Minna - Bida Road Construction Begins / Misappropriation Of Funds,it Was Ben Obi,and Not Saint Peter Obi. / Help Strikerarab's Mother - Nigerian Soldier Currently Fighting Boko-haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.