Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,625 members, 7,955,289 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:39 PM

How Do I Prepare For GRE Verbal Reasoning When I Have A Very Bad Memory? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Prepare For GRE Verbal Reasoning When I Have A Very Bad Memory? (181 Views)

Lantern Book Six Quantitative And Verbal Reasoning Solutions / Urgent : Quantitative And Verbal Reasoning Gurus Needed / Verbal Reasoning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Prepare For GRE Verbal Reasoning When I Have A Very Bad Memory? by rahul1(m): 9:06am On Apr 16, 2020
To do well on the GRE Verbal Section, you do need a fairly strong English vocabulary - which means you need to know the meanings of a few thousand GRE-level words.

However, the good news is, understanding the meaning of a word doesn’t necessarily require a strong memory.

Simply knowing the meanings of words won’t help you do well on the GRE. You need to understand the meaning of the word and be able to use it in context.

Many people spend months memorizing 1500+ GRE words and find that they still don’t do well on the GRE - because they don’t know how to use the word and they don’t understand what it means when used in passages.

That being said, the first step to understanding a word is to know what it means.

Step 1 : For you, I recommend using the ‘Ultimate Vocabulary Prep - [url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entrayn.qbapp&referrer=utm_source%3DForum"]GRE’ App[/url].

It makes remembering the meaning of words easy because it comes with 1) pictures for each word 2) synonyms & antonyms 3) word used in sentences 4) audio clips.. AND the learning process is in the form of a game!

So you’re never bored.

The App was created and designed by Stanford University + IIT alumni so you can be sure it’s really good. (Read the reviews as well, it’s the highest rated App for a reason!)

Here’s a screenshot of what you can expect :

Step 2 : Once you find yourself learning words on the app, use the quizzes on the app to test yourself.

Next, start using the words in conversations yourself! If you can make these words a part of your everyday vocabulary, it becomes much much easier to remember them.

Step 3 : Third, read reputable publications. Look for words you’ve already learned in these articles.

This will reinforce what you’ve already learned and ensure you truly master the word.

Notable publications include The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Hindu, The Economist.. These are good places to start.

The golden rule here is to give yourself as much exposure to the words as possible. You’ll find then that you don’t need to memorize the meaning of the word because you’ll understand what it means.

I hope this helps!

Good luck with your exam!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

*FREE Ebook Download* / Short-term Online Data Collection Offer / Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.