Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses (20584 Views)

"How Painful Coronavirus Testing Is" - Woman Shares Video / NIMR Offers Free Coronavirus Testing In Yaba, Lagos / Nigeria's Coronavirus Testing Up By 32% After Jack Ma's Donations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by LORDofODDS(m): 10:12am On Apr 16, 2020
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Wednesday said 20 centres would be created in Lagos State for collection of samples from people suspected to have contracted COVID-19.

The NCDC Director General, Chikwe Ihekweazu, who disclosed this at a press conference of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, said the samples would be taken to the molecular laboratories in Lagos for testing.

Ihekweazu also said door-to-door collection of samples would soon begin in Abuja. He added that Nigeria had increased her testing capacity to 3,000

At the press conference, the Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, disclosed that the ministry had expanded its case definition for COVID-19.

The NCDC had, on Tuesday, said the problem the country was facing was not the inadequacy of molecular laboratories, but how adequate samples would get to the labs for testing.

It said the 12 molecular laboratories in the country, which it put their capacity at 1,500 on Tuesday, were not conducting enough tests.

At the PTF press conference on Wednesday, Ihekweazu said part of the measures to contain the spread of the virus was adoption of a change in strategy after more testing laboratories had been established.

Samples of people with acute respiratory infection, high fever to be taken

He said, [b]“We are trying to change our strategy now and test more people. The testing laboratories have increased, but the bottleneck now is getting samples from the right people.

“We are setting up 20 health care facilities in Lagos to collect samples from people that think they have acute respiratory infections and high fever. We are intensifying our surveillance in health, so hospitals around Lagos and the FCT (Federal Capital Territory) can collect samples from people with high respiratory infections.

“In certain Abuja communities, we are going from door to door to collect samples from people that have acute respiratory infections. We are doing the same in Lagos. In these two places, Lagos and the FCT, where there is high incidence of the infection, we are now going to the patients to collect samples.

“Core centres have improved dramatically and we are urging the people that think they have acute respiratory infections to call us. Go to one of these 20 centres (in Lagos). Don’t go to any other centre. Lagos State will announce them as they are set up and make them accessible to everyone.

“We have the capacity right now to test 3,000 per day, but that capacity is not being fully utilised. That is why we focus on Lagos and the FCT.”[/b]

Health workers, senior citizens to be prioritised

The NCDC boss added that with a shortage of personal protective equipment around the world, Nigeria would give priority to health workers at isolation centres and laboratories, as well as senior citizens on the use of face masks.

He said, “It (use of masks) has been a controversial topic, but it does not have to be. The number of cases from over the world has risen to over two million with over 100,000 deaths of a disease that none of us knows about. The scale of the disease outbreak and response has to radically increase and the aspect of mask is one of them.

“On the other hand, there is a reality that we face. There is a chronic global shortage of personal protective equipment, including masks, around the world. The world was not prepared for a pandemic of this scale. We have to prioritise certain part of our population.

“Fifty per cent of the world masks are produced by China that has been locked down for months. They are now restarting their production and thankfully, some of those things are coming out.”

He said countries that produced medical materials, including masks, had banned their exportation because they too needed them.

https://punchng.com/samples-lagos-creates-20-centres-fct-combs-residents-houses/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by EXLOVER(m): 10:58am On Apr 16, 2020
Is the Corona test free?

20 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Femich18(m): 10:59am On Apr 16, 2020
Good one.
We still have a long way to go. The number of test done now is about 5000. We can only know the true state of Coronavirus only when we do not less than 5000 test at least in a day.

I'm sure we will overcome

8 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Jay542(m): 10:59am On Apr 16, 2020
Goodwork. We can do more!
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Chinwees: 10:59am On Apr 16, 2020
Bless them

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Joefat: 10:59am On Apr 16, 2020
Hmmm embarassed
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by yusfatedeeprof(m): 10:59am On Apr 16, 2020
Great, we will overcome

Sidenote, when will our government emulate this.... Over 400k shocked

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by DonMustafa: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
kano be observing lagos like

1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by maximunimpact(m): 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
still on "will be created", wake me up when they create it
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
For malaria check abi

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Carlyscales: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
Good work!

But u can do more,

SA have scaled up their per day testing capacity to more than 35,000. By activating private sector testing in labs n hospitals.

The only way we can flatten the curve like SA n Ghana have done , and contain the virus like south Korea and China did, is by massive testing campaign and aggressive contact tracing.

Both of these are not very visible in d Nigerian govt COVID-19 efforts so far.

South Africa have tested over 90,000 with 2,506 confirmed cases ( about 2%).

While Ghana have tested over 40,000 with 606 cases ( about 1%).

But Nigeria have only tested 7,000 with about 400 cases ( that's 5%)

We really need to test more and I'm very optimistic that we can n will overcome

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Emu4life(m): 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
maximunimpact:
still on "will be created", wake me up when they create it
Pessimist

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Counsellor31: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
Weldon Lagos State��
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Iblak: 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
Good one, we'll win this war against COVID19
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by freshkpomo(m): 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
How many people go come out?? Nor be this same Nigeria when girl go get HIV she go begin share am around intentionally?? Even if some are aware, the thought of stigmatization will discourage them from coming out and will prefer to die in silence.

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by paulolee(m): 11:00am On Apr 16, 2020
dts nice. Lagos always taking d lead....with time more labs would b created n more samples collected n tested..d only probs is d lockdown nvi wish f.g can provide palliatives Tru state or f.g agencies....jus don't Kno Y our leaders can't get tinz right...don't Kno Y de ar wasting time bcox rite now na audio we jus de hear. even if na to send 5k gv lyk 200 people in each local gov area it's not dt bad na.....was at home today n a matured man knocked my door n stood speechless n i saw pain in his eyes n asked wats problem...he jus said abeg I nid ur help badly even if na dry garri I go manage" d man is a factory worker bt no work since last month n e can't go out bcoz of d lockdown n his family of 5 av nt eaten anything apart from water n small bread since Tuesday...I was speechless n with pity in my heart n tears in my eyes I removed one derica of d paint of garri I had n gave him d rest n also gave him 700 out of d last 1k wey de my hand to buy Oda tinz ( me wey de find online give away o)...he felt bad n tried to refused bt I told him I had enof even thou I Kno dt m empty bt gat GOD bt I nearly shed tears o...my people I swear hungry de... chaiiiiii

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by jericco1(m): 11:01am On Apr 16, 2020
angry
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Stinolexis: 11:01am On Apr 16, 2020
After this 14 days I don't want another extension oh,
They should better do all the necessary things now..
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by ogbu80(m): 11:01am On Apr 16, 2020
Make them no go infest me with the virus in the name of test
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by operotimi: 11:01am On Apr 16, 2020
smiley
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by oka4ugoo: 11:01am On Apr 16, 2020
When is the lockdown coming to an end cos this is no longer funny. I'm tired of being lazy

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by mushystuff: 11:02am On Apr 16, 2020
On the other hand, there is a reality that we face. There is a chronic global shortage of personal protective equipment, including masks, around the world. The world was not prepared for a pandemic of this scale. We have to prioritise certain part of our population.

“Fifty per cent of the world masks are produced by China that has been locked down for months. They are now restarting their production and thankfully, some of those things are coming out.”

He said countries that produced medical materials, including masks, had banned their exportation because they too needed them.

How about stimulating local production of PPE? Must we keep depending on importation?

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Abubakar1ooo(m): 11:02am On Apr 16, 2020
May Almighty God never stop to be protecting and securing us and all our lovely one from this useless coronavirus amen
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by Millz404(m): 11:02am On Apr 16, 2020
vg
Re: Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses by adioolayi(m): 11:02am On Apr 16, 2020
"He said countries that produced medical materials, including masks, had banned their exportation because they too needed them."

Before nko...Yoruba adage says..."Omo eni ki se'di bebere , Ka fi ileke si'di Omo elomi"

It's time the government look inwards...Aba garment factory should be empowered to produce medical overall and facemasks. There are lot of companies that can produce other things needed too... it's time to develop our own things

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Simple Ways To Live A Life Without Worry (hakuna Matata) / 417 New COVID-19 Cases, 337 Discharged And 2 Deaths On August 17 - (2571 Tested) / Sanofi To Discontinue Direct Operations In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.