Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,068 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno (989 Views)

Sudan Evacuation: FG To Prioritize Women, Children, Diplomats / OBIdients Organize Free Tutorial Classes For Northern Women & Children (Pics) / Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts Unknown Gunmen: Beheading Men, Women, Children Barbaric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ogododo: 2:56pm On Apr 18, 2020
At least five women and children died on Saturday in a stampede when cash and clothes were handed out to thousands of displaced people in Borno, militia and local people told AFP.

A large crowd surged forward for the government aid distribution and people were trampled under foot in the town of Gamboru, near the Cameroon border, a region hit by jihadist violence.

“Five dead bodies, four women and a little girl, were brought to the hospital along with seven injured,” a medical source said at the hospital.

“We learned that (other) bodies were identified and claimed by relations from the scene,” the source added without specifying how many.

However, Umar Kachalla, who heads a local anti-jihadist militia force, said: “There was a crush which led to the death of 12 women and children and left seven with severe injuries.”

Some of the dead were taken to hospital and others claimed at the site of the stampede, he added.

Thousands of women had gathered at a primary school for handouts of 5,000 nairas (13 dollars) and clothing supplied by Borno state governor Babagana Umara Zulum.

“There was a stampede as the distribution was about to start,” in the morning, said local resident Yahaya Bukar, who also counted 12 dead.

Gamboru, a border trading hub, has been repeatedly targeted by Boko Haram insurgents since August 2014 when the jihadists seized the town along with nearby Ngala.

Nigerian soldiers re-took both places a year later with the help of Chadian troops after a series of offensives that lasted months.

Residents returned to both towns but some 70,000 live in squalid camps at Gamboru and rely on food aid from international charities.

Fourteen people died on Friday and 15 were badly hurt in a blaze in the town’s main camp.

The insurrection has killed 36,000 people and displaced 1.8 million from their homes in the northeast. The violence has spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

AFP

https://punchng.com/five-women-children-die-as-thousands-rush-for-n5000-clothes-in-borno/
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Simplyleo: 3:00pm On Apr 18, 2020
If this report is true, then very sad.

Whoever was given the task of distributing this relief package deserve to be properly investigated and if culpable, be appropriately sanctioned.

There are several ways relief materials can be distributed to multitude without causing stampede.

The approach he adopted must have been very disorganised for sinister and pecuniary motive.
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Iyiataata92: 3:01pm On Apr 18, 2020
Sometimes, I wonder if government is strategically depopulating the masses.
You tell us to stay at home to avoid sickness leading to death, thereby exposing us to death through hunger. But if you want to share your miserly two bags of rice to an entire community, you will still gather all of us in one congested area and keep us standing for hours on empty stomach.
Was government not expecting a stampede like the one that happened at Immigration recruitment when they gathered thousands of hungry women and children to share them $13?
Even if there was no stampede, did they not expect a community spread of the virus they told us they are protecting us from?

Some factors just keep pointing me towards the direction of a depopulation agenda

1 Like

Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ogododo: 3:01pm On Apr 18, 2020
Simplyleo:

Poverty de everywhere bros
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Hyperchi(m): 3:01pm On Apr 18, 2020
Wow very painful.
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Charleys: 3:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
Picture or video or I don't believe it.
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Iyiataata92: 3:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
Simplyleo:
If the link there leading you to The Punch as the source of the news is not able to convince you that this is true, then nothing else will convince you
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ZombiePUNISHER: 3:04pm On Apr 18, 2020
Simplyleo:

In the poverty capital of the world
What do you expect....

The only legacy of Buhari and Abba kyari
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
As if the govt care.

They should continue shielding bh
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Simplyleo: 3:07pm On Apr 18, 2020
ZombiePUNISHER:

In the poverty capital of the world
What do you expect....

The only legacy of Buhari and Abba kyari
Very stale.
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Simplyleo: 3:08pm On Apr 18, 2020
Iyiataata92:

If the link there leading you to The Punch as the source of the news is not able to convince you that this is true, then nothing else will convine you
You dont get it, do you?

I never doubted the authenticity of the report. Infact I don't make comments on news threads when sources are not attached

But as a very junior learner of language, you take every word on its face meaning, hence your reaction to my comment.

Have you ever heard someone exclaiming " not true!, not true!!" even though he knows it is true?

1 Like

Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ogododo: 3:16pm On Apr 18, 2020
Simplyleo:

You dont get it, do you?

I never doubted the authenticity of the report. Infact I don't make comment on news thread without a source attached

But as a very junior learner of language, you take every word on its face meaning, hence your reaction to my comment.

Have you ever heard someone exclaiming " not true!, not true!!" even though he knows it is true?

Brake am down for pidgin for people like we

1 Like

Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Iyiataata92: 3:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
Simplyleo:

You dont get it, do you?

I never doubted the authenticity of the report. Infact I don't make comments on news threads when sources are not attached

Then you're one of those people
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Iyiataata92: 3:22pm On Apr 18, 2020
ogododo:

I gave you a like for this.
He should break it down for us that are very junior learners of the language
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by BeerParlour: 3:27pm On Apr 18, 2020
People die daily but they talk of one corrupt man.

Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Simplyleo: 3:28pm On Apr 18, 2020
ogododo:

If you see your friend or relative for place wey you no expect to see am (good place though) and you start saying "I don't believe this" with happiness, is it that you dont truly believe?

Conversely, some things are so unbelievable that you have to start by doubting so you don't completely get overwhelmed by false reports.

So many reporters report events exactly the way they want you to view the events.
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Iyiataata92: 3:33pm On Apr 18, 2020
Simplyleo:

If you see your friend or relative for place wey you no expect to see am (good place though) and you start saying "I don't believe this" with happiness, is it that you dont truly believe?

Conversely, some things are so unbelievable that you have to start by doubting so you don't completely get overwhelmed by false reports.

So many reporters report events exactly the way they want you to view the events
All this one no be pidgin naa
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Simplyleo: 3:35pm On Apr 18, 2020
Iyiataata92:

All this one no be pidgin naa
I can't write lengthy pigin. I unconsciously switch to English.

But most importantly, I have explained. Except if you have issues with comprehension.
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by DanArewaa: 4:19pm On Apr 18, 2020
[s]
Simplyleo:

I can't write lengthy pigin. I unconsciously switch to English.

But most importantly, I have explained. Except if you have issues with comprehension.
[/s]
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by DanArewaa: 4:19pm On Apr 18, 2020
[s]
Simplyleo:

So many reporters report events exactly the way they want you to view the events.
[/s]
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by DanArewaa: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
[s]
Simplyleo:

You dont get it, do you?

[/s]
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by DanArewaa: 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2020
[s]
Simplyleo:

Whoever was given the task of distributing this relief package deserve to be properly investigated and if culpable, be appropriately sanctioned.

There are several ways relief materials can be distributed to multitude without causing stampede.

The approach he adopted must have been very disorganised for sinister and pecuniary motive.
[/s]
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by DanArewaa: 4:26pm On Apr 18, 2020
[s]
Simplyleo:

Very stale.
[/s]
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Tumbulum: 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2020
Danarrewa come and post pictures
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by bestabigaelever(f): 4:54pm On Apr 18, 2020
Whoever get the chance to leave this country should run for his/her life

This is just too much cry
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by mygreenday(m): 4:58pm On Apr 18, 2020
inside life.
inside Nigerian life
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ogododo: 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2020
bestabigaelever:
Whoever get the chance to leave this country should run for his/her life

This is just too much cry

Warri dry pass garri
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ogododo: 8:11pm On Apr 18, 2020
Death just de kill anyhow
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 18, 2020
I am feeling very hungry pls someone should help me,anythimg would be appreciated,2085101641,uba,please
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Niaja4real(m): 8:27pm On Apr 18, 2020
ogododo:
At least five women and children died on Saturday in a stampede when cash and clothes were handed out to thousands of displaced people in Borno, militia and local people told AFP.

A large crowd surged forward for the government aid distribution and people were trampled under foot in the town of Gamboru, near the Cameroon border, a region hit by jihadist violence.

“Five dead bodies, four women and a little girl, were brought to the hospital along with seven injured,” a medical source said at the hospital.

“We learned that (other) bodies were identified and claimed by relations from the scene,” the source added without specifying how many.

However, Umar Kachalla, who heads a local anti-jihadist militia force, said: “There was a crush which led to the death of 12 women and children and left seven with severe injuries.”

Some of the dead were taken to hospital and others claimed at the site of the stampede, he added.

Thousands of women had gathered at a primary school for handouts of 5,000 nairas (13 dollars) and clothing supplied by Borno state governor Babagana Umara Zulum.

“There was a stampede as the distribution was about to start,” in the morning, said local resident Yahaya Bukar, who also counted 12 dead.

Gamboru, a border trading hub, has been repeatedly targeted by Boko Haram insurgents since August 2014 when the jihadists seized the town along with nearby Ngala.

Nigerian soldiers re-took both places a year later with the help of Chadian troops after a series of offensives that lasted months.

Residents returned to both towns but some 70,000 live in squalid camps at Gamboru and rely on food aid from international charities.

Fourteen people died on Friday and 15 were badly hurt in a blaze in the town’s main camp.

The insurrection has killed 36,000 people and displaced 1.8 million from their homes in the northeast. The violence has spread to neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

AFP

https://punchng.com/five-women-children-die-as-thousands-rush-for-n5000-clothes-in-borno/

Sai baba!
Borno that gave the mofo the highest number of votes during the last election.
Na next level be dat!
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by Waterypussy2(m): 8:38pm On Apr 18, 2020
You said Nigerians should stay in their houses to avoid the virus, yet you gather them to give them little money to sustain them. What happened to send money through Bvn?
What happened to going from house to house?
Nigeria has the most wicked leaders around the world.
That's why they will continue dying by this virus
Re: Five Women, Children Die As Thousands Rush For N5,000, Clothes In Borno by ogododo: 9:45pm On Apr 18, 2020
Waterypussy2:
You said Nigerians should stay in their houses to avoid the virus, yet you gather them to give them little money to sustain them. What happened to send money through Bvn?
What happened to going from house to house?
Nigeria has the most wicked leaders around the world.
That's why they will continue dying by this virus
One m add self don die for Warri, for Soja hands

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Obaseki Vows To Jail Adams Oshiomole - See Reasons / Dapo Abiodun: We Have Never Depended On Oil In Ogun State / Nigerian Troops Kill Top Boko Haram Leaders (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.