Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? (1295 Views)

African Countries Praised For Handling Coronavirus Really Well / Dog Tests Positive For Coronavirus In Hong Kong / U.S Is Not Prepared For Coronavirus - Health Worker, Maureen Dugan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Gjrich(m): 7:03pm On Apr 19, 2020
RIGHT IS RIGHT AND WRONG IS WRONG.

Why doesn’t the world praise Africa fighting the coronavirus?

Africa always gets the blame for everything wrong, I think many Africans and other people around the world know that and many accept that.

Let’s look at the African statistics on Coronavirus death rates and compare them to the rest of the world and you will see that the fear people (especially Chinese) have of Africans are totally unfounded.

I am starting with the world’s average and after that worst death rates per country, (death rates caused by the Coronavirus, total affected rounded up, actual deaths):

6.64% death rate: Worldwide confirmed cases: 2,064,700, deaths 137,108

16.58% France: 106,200, deaths 17,617

13.11% Italy: 165,100, deaths 21,645

13.06% United Kingdom: 98,500, deaths 12,868

10.41% Spain: 180,600, deaths 18,812

6.09% Brazil: 28,900, deaths 1,760

4.43% United States: 644,300, deaths 28,554

4.06% China: 82,300, deaths 3,342

3.56% Canada: 28,300, deaths 1,010

2.82% Germany: 134,700, deaths 3,804

2.15% South Korea: 10,613, deaths 229

Whilst the world is praising South Korea’s and Germany’s successful “attack” and control of the Coronavirus nobody bothers to look how Africa is doing?

5.38% Africa: 16,200, deaths 873

1.96% Sub-Saharan Africa: 8,100 deaths 159

4.44% Kenya: 225, deaths 10

3.52% Ethiopia: 85, deaths 3

2.94% Nigeria: 523, deaths 19

1.35% South Africa: 2,506, deaths 34

1.25% Ghana: 641, deaths 8

0.91% Ivory Coast: 654, deaths 6

0.63% Senegal: 314, deaths 2

Kenia, Ethiopia and some other countries are within the average ranges of Coronavirus in the rest of the world compared to outbreak and control figures.

But Ivory Coast, South Africa, my beloved Ghana and Senegal are doing far better than the all over-praised South Korea and Germany.

Our North African brothers are already doing far better than France, Italy and Spain, but are pushing the ones average African death rates up.

Sub-Saharan Africa, yes:

Black Africa is doing a fantastic job controlling the outbreak! 1.96% death rate: Just take a look at the figures again.

6.64% World: 2,064,700, deaths 137,108

5.38% Africa: 16,200, deaths 873

1.96% Sub-Saharan Africa: 8,100 deaths 159

And all we hear around the world are demagogic statements about how Africa will be the next Coronavirus hell on earth, how Africa doesn’t have the financial and medical capabilities to control the outbreak, how Africans are spreading the virus and why we have to start testing Coronavirus vaccines on Africans first.

Why are people hiding the facts that, obviously this virus doesn’t survive high temperatures and high humidity well?

Why doesn’t anybody tell the world that Africans are because of their lifestyle and constant exposure to other diseases very strong, healthy people?

Why doesn’t anybody tell the world that always avoiding any exposure to Malaria, Typhoid, Flu, Salmonella and many other things have made the people in developed world the weakest people on earth?

Already, Sub-Saharan Africa is doing great. But just imagine if we could test every sub-Saharan African? That would even put our already good figures (although there is no good in these deaths) much further down.

So why is Africa, even during a dark outbreak of a pandemic, still branded as the world’s shithole (not my words but those of a certain American president) whilst we are doing far better than the rest of the world ?

6 Likes

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by SocialJustice: 7:14pm On Apr 19, 2020
Lol, you really took your time. Nobody takes Africa seriously because enough tests are not being done. Take Nigeria for example, we have only done less than 10,000 tests in a country of 200 million people. Compare to USA or South Korea that does about 100,000 tests daily.

WHO already said Africa could be the new epicenter of COVID19. The world is currently waiting for horrible figures to start coming from Africa.

One thing I like though is Nigeria's swift response on lockdown.

We hope for the best and that those horrible figures o not eventually show up.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by donbachi(m): 7:15pm On Apr 19, 2020
Shame don catch cnn.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by budaatum: 7:21pm On Apr 19, 2020
We do not want to tempt faith like Trump who kept calling it Chinese Wuhan Virus until it sprang up in New York.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by rusher14: 7:23pm On Apr 19, 2020
SocialJustice:
Lol, you really took your time. Nobody takes Africa seriously because enough tests are not being done. Take Nigeria for example, we have only done less than 10,000 tests in a country of 200 million people. Compare to USA or South Korea that does about 100,000 tests daily.

WHO already said Africa could be the new epicenter of COVID19. The world is currently waiting for horrible figures to start coming from Africa.

They would wait in vain.

If the figures were going to be so terrible they should already have been rolling out.

Nobody says there cannot be an escalation but it is obvious Africa would suffer far fewer deaths than many predicted.

3 Likes

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by chatinent: 7:25pm On Apr 19, 2020
Because they wish they praised themselves.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by TMKsouth: 7:25pm On Apr 19, 2020
Nice one.

But I agree with the notion that it's too early to pat Africa on the back. The full impact of the virus is yet to hit the continent while South Korea and China have been dealing with Covid-19 since January. Our first cases emerged somewhere in late March.

Also our economic situation doesn't allow for indefinite lockdowns and curfews. People will die of hunger cooped up in their homes without substantial palliative approaches which is unrealistic in much of the continent. So many, if not all African countries, would have to release people back onto the streets prematurely (and this could be as soon as May 1). Unfortunately, the virus outside would not have miraculously disappeared by then.

So more infections are still to come and our hospitals are yet to be stretched to their limits.

We can commend steps taken by African countries to date but I don't think it's time to proclaim success.

Message from SA.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Ogegeodey(m): 7:28pm On Apr 19, 2020
OP is right!
You may argue that Africa doesn't have enough test kits and are not testing many people. So if people are really infected without test, how come our death rate is still lower by far compare to the OYIBOS?

On the other hand I don't think we are doing anything different from the whites, it's just we have a stronger immunity coupled with our hot weather.

3 Likes

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by sapientia(m): 7:30pm On Apr 19, 2020
Let's still wait small.

Too early.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by festacman(m): 7:31pm On Apr 19, 2020
Because with Africa's close communal life, they are anticipating an explosion of COVID -29 infections in the months ahead after being curtailed in other parts of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by LarryBee1k: 7:33pm On Apr 19, 2020
Modify

1 Like

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by ojun50(m): 7:35pm On Apr 19, 2020
This is the more reasons African country need to start changing their mentality

1 Like

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by LaMujer: 7:39pm On Apr 19, 2020
SocialJustice:

He wasn't talking number of deaths, he's talking percentage of death. If Nigeria starts testing 1k per day, does that mean the rate would increase to 10%?

That's not how percentage works. It's deducted from the amount of sample you already

2 Likes

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by princemillla(m): 7:44pm On Apr 19, 2020
Hw many test had been conducted so far in the entire Africa continent?

Test ran is not even a match to what Italy has tested. So keep ur statistic......it holds no water more reason no one Wil give a Bleep about what Africa is doing right or not
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by budaatum: 7:45pm On Apr 19, 2020
LaMujer:

He wasn't talking number of deaths, he's talking percentage of death. If Nigeria starts testing 1k per day, does that mean the rate would increase to 10%?

That's not how percentage works. It's deducted from the amount of sample you already
Perhaps our counting is wrong.

Some other countries have got their counts wrong, so we might have too, and Nigeria is really bad at death records. If someone dies in my own town in Osun State we would bury them before sunset and not record it anywhere, not to talk of find any other reason for the death than dem do am.

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by LaMujer: 7:49pm On Apr 19, 2020
budaatum:

Some other countries have got their counts wrong, so we might have too, and Nigeria is really bad at death records. If someone dies in my own town in Osun State we would bury them before sunset and not record it anywhere, not to talk of find any other reason for the death than dem do am.

Yes, you're right, I agree. But I believe every country is shortchanging their media. Not only ours

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by budaatum: 7:57pm On Apr 19, 2020
LaMujer:

Yes, you're right, I agree. But I believe every country is shortchanging their media. Not only ours
Most countries, anyway. China adjusted Wuhan deaths upwards, and America is accusing itself of bumping up their own deaths..

1 Like

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 19, 2020
budaatum:

I don't think it really has to do with being bad at recording death.

Has there been any alarming rate of death anywhere in Nigeria recently as a case study, springing a call for caution because of its ABNORMAL TREND like it was first noticed in Wuhan, China. Such abnormality which made it clear to the Chinese government that something is WRONG?!

Observable analysis doesn't suggest so in Nigeria. There hasn't been any ABNORMALITIES observed anywhere. Nothing points to a PANDEMIC so far like it has encroached Asia, Europe and America at least for now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by SocialJustice: 8:24pm On Apr 19, 2020
LaMujer:

I treated it in second paragraph. Death rate is low because COVID19 is just getting here and just started spreading.

Africa has no major trade centre and air traffic is low compared to other countries. Dr. Ola Brown explained this phenomenon. A simple way to put it is to say for every 10 people that fly into Africa, 1000 people are flying into cities like London, New York, Tokyo, Frankfurt etc.

This is the reason for the low infection rate and death rate. If no treatment is found in the next 2 months, the tragedy of Africa will unravel.

2 Likes

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by LaMujer: 8:28pm On Apr 19, 2020
SocialJustice:
I treated it in second paragraph. Death rate is low because COVID19 is just getting here and just started spreading.

Africa has no major trade centre and air traffic is low compared to other countries. Dr. Ola Brown explained this phenomenon. A simple way to put it is to say for every 10 people that fly into Africa, 1000 people are flying into cities like London, New York, Tokyo, Frankfurt etc.

This is the reason for the low infection rate and death rate. If no treatment is found in the next 2 months, the tragedy of Africa will unravel.

I guess we have to pray and hope then. That's the only option left
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by budaatum: 8:29pm On Apr 19, 2020
WORDWORLD:

I don't think it really has to do with being bad at recording death.

Has there been any alarming rate of death anywhere in Nigeria recently as a case study, springing a call for caution because of its ABNORMAL TREND like it was first noticed in Wuhan, China. Such abnormality which made it clear to the Chinese government that something is WRONG?!

Observable analysis doesn't suggest so in Nigeria. There hasn't been any ABNORMALITIES observed anywhere. Nothing points to a PANDEMIC so far like it has encroached Asia, Europe and America at least for now.

I prefer to be patient. Evidence shows there can be a lag in recording deaths even in more efficient nations, and it might just (I hope not), be early yet.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by SocialJustice: 8:29pm On Apr 19, 2020
rusher14:

Nobody says there cannot be an escalation but it is obvious Africa would suffer far fewer deaths than many predicted.

And you drew this conclusion based on what scientific research?

Let's just sit and pray for the best. Countries with solid health systems have been devastated, you think it is your country where public health systems are non existent that will show lesser death rate in future.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by xynerise: 8:34pm On Apr 19, 2020
Update your global cases and death.

Over 162,000 death now
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 19, 2020
Can you be immune to a new virus?

Africa is recording a thousand deaths +

west africa is a time bomb

Israel south korea germany all recorded a thousand cases and a single death
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by DontBullshitMe: 8:41pm On Apr 19, 2020
Forget the figures.

Don't look at the stats.

Is there any record of death clusters in any part of Nigeria? NO.

Going by the widespread awareness about the virus, if anybody dies showing symptoms, it won't take too long before it finds its way to FB, Twitter or even Nairaland.

People want fame! grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 19, 2020
budaatum:

I prefer to be patient. Evidence shows there can be a lag in recording deaths even in more efficient nations, and it might just (I hope not), be early yet.

There is usually an out cry in African societies once funeral rites becomes the order of the day. Though without records, the out cry is a signal on it's own that something is WRONG. It is expected that in a case of PANDEMIC such as Corona Virus claiming lives in multitude there should have been an overwhelming out cry by the members of the public connecting these death to symptoms of covid19.

I sincerely believe that at present, Africa is still very lucky compared to others. At least for now which I pray remains as so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Limitlessss: 9:13pm On Apr 19, 2020
@Op

Pride comes before downfall.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by kalufelix(m): 9:30pm On Apr 19, 2020
My immunity and your immunity no be mate..e don tey wey nyash begin dey back...They always try to emphasize the line of "you could have it and not show symptoms" ... But i tell you even if the whole of African population tests positive...na only 1% go die of the virus...lol...The virus may be a champion elsewhere but in Africa its a sore loser...the gates b+ach can kiss the dust...

1 Like

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by budaatum: 10:08pm On Apr 19, 2020
WORDWORLD:

There is usually an out cry in African societies once funeral rites becomes the order of the day. Though without records, the out cry is a signal on it's own that something is WRONG. It is expected that in a case of PANDEMIC such as Corona Virus claiming lives in multitude there should have been an overwhelming out cry by the members of the public connecting these death to symptoms of covid19.

I sincerely believe that at present, Africa is still very lucky compared to others. At least for now which I pray remains as so.
Hmm. Outcry. My experience is we suffer in silence.

I am Yoruba where we say 'ti isu ẹni ba ta a fi ọwọ bo'. It means, 'if your yams grow big hide them'. The yams denotes good things, but we apply it to bad things too, especially when its not in one's favour to tell the neighborhood that that virus they been hearing is killing everywhere is killing in one's home.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 19, 2020
budaatum:

Hmm. Outcry. My experience is we suffer in silence.

I am Yoruba where we say 'ti isu ẹni ba ta a fi ọwọ bo'. It means, 'if your yams grow big hide them'. The yams denotes good things, but we apply it to bad things too, especially when its not in one's favour to tell the neighborhood that that virus they been hearing is killing everywhere is killing in one's home.

But Yorubas are not the only ones in Nigeria. And such adage doesn't apply to all Nigerians I hope you know that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by budaatum: 10:21pm On Apr 19, 2020
WORDWORLD:

But Yorubas are not the only ones in Nigeria. And such adage doesn't apply to all Nigerians I hope you know that.
It doesn't even apply to all Yorubas. Just that in my own experience many deaths are kept quiet especially if they are old or have been sick awhile.

That said, we shall see in due time. And I hope you are right and I'm wrong.
Re: Africa Is By Far The Best, Why Isn’t It Being Praised For Coronavirus Results? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 19, 2020
budaatum:

It doesn't even apply to all Yorubas. Just that in my own experience many deaths are kept quiet especially if they are old or have been sick awhile.

That said, we shall see in due time. And I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr Rashid Buttar, Renowned American Virologist Unveils The Scam Behind Covid 19 / How Does Vagina Tastes Like That Makes Men Go Down On Women?? / 5 Awesome Tips For Fighting Bad Breath And Improving Your Mouth Condition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.