Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,939 members, 7,956,550 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:49 PM

Beamers Come-around - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beamers Come-around (3868 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 4:23pm On Apr 20, 2020
A detailed comparison

1. 328i 2007
2. 328i 2008

Fuel consumption (or suggest the most suitable engine with low consumption)
Maintance (parts availability)

In generality what will you tell a first timer

Bring your experience/contribition

Beamer auto-mechanic
Beamer lovers

Thanks

Re: Beamers Come-around by foolbuster: 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2020
My love that year until i took the red pill and my eyes opened.
Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:
A detailed comparison

1. 328i 2007
2. 328i 2008

Beamer auto-mechanic
Beamer lovers

Thanks

a 2007 and a 2008 328I are exactly the same car. BMW didnt change anything on these two model years. So I guess its safe to to say theres nothing to compare.
the red 328i you posted is a 2009, 2010 or 2011 e90 328i
the other car you posted is a 2004/2005 e46 3 series. 2 totally diffrent platforms.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 20, 2020
foolbuster:
My love that year until i took the red pill and my eyes opened.
LOL
Tell us about your experience
Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:
A detailed comparison

1. 328i 2007
2. 328i 2008

Beamer auto-mechanic
Beamer loversjavascript:void(0);

Thanks

I am on my 3rd BMW and I can tell you they are well built and are really fun to drive. my current car is a twin turbo charged 2007 335i.
i source most of my parts from ladipo market and they are not as expensive as a lot of people claim. I work on my cars myself, once in a while i invite my mechanic to come and assist if the work requires heavy lifting or getting dirty. I can boldly tell you that i am yet to meet a good BMW mechanic that is familiar with the e90 platform. I am in Ibadan BTW
I am not trying to scare you but you should know what you are getting into if you decide to buy a e90 BMW.
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 6:51pm On Apr 20, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

a 2007 and a 2008 328I are exactly the same car. BMW didnt change anything on these two model years. So I guess its safe to to say theres nothing to compare.
the red 328i you posted is a 2009, 2010 or 2011 e90 328i
the other car you posted is a 2004/2005 e46 3 series. 2 totally diffrent platforms.
The first one is perhaps a 320i. 328i has twin outlets
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

I am on my 3rd BMW and I can tell you they are well built and are really fun to drive. my current car is a twin turbo charged 2007 335i.
i source most of my parts from ladipo market and they are not as expensive as a lot of people claim. I work on my cars myself, once in a while i invite my mechanic to come and assist if the work requires heavy lifting or getting dirty. I can boldly tell you that i am yet to meet a good BMW mechanic that is familiar with the e90 platform. I am in Ibadan BTW
I am not trying to scare you but you should know what you are getting into if you decide to buy a e90 BMW.

True. Good to see a 335i owner
I have used e46 330ci, e36 328is (coupe) and e36 320i. Currently own a 540i and a 750li e66. In all, i prefer the 540i for its unassuming power. I used to enjoy driving fast, really fast I.e.
I once had an outing with a friend of mine, in his e90 330i 6 speed, from Benin to Warri under the sultry midday harmattan sun. I didn't ease off throttling until I clocked 225km/h whilst he did an irredeemable 230km/h or thereabouts...was fun...I still have the dashcam vid.
Here is my list of preference in descending order:

1. E39 540i 6speed man.. You could easily be on 180-200km/h and think the car isn't still fast enough. Very torquey V8.

2. E46 330ci. 5speed man. Had man fun- a Honda crosstour once tried racing the little car in front of him, he couldn't match my speed...couldn't keep up. I used to Always anticipate races on highways lol.

3. E36 328is 1994, 5 speed man. First day I drove it, I felt it was easily faster than the 330ci. It felt raw, masculin and coarse, not as refined as the e46...with louder exhaust. Had fun in it too with the e90 330i mentioned above, a camry V6 couldn't keep up at 200km/h, i knew it wasn't a 4cylinder with the way it kept trying to get close, it had no chance, no traffic.

1995 E36 320i 5 speed auto. 1996cc 150hp, 6cyl. Not a quick car but was fast enough to get me up to 200km/h.

E66 750li. Large sedan, heavy (over 2tonne I guess). Goes as fast as big as it looks. A complex car...lots of electronic modules, maintenance a bit high up the shelf, only reason it's coming last. It's a very fast car, rapid acceleration through the gears with its superb 4.8l V8 engine..I haven't gone really fast in it and I don't intend to. The days of driving fast are no more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Ln7827S-c

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 8:56pm On Apr 20, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

I'll go for the E46 engine
But hope it's not fuel guzzling?

Again is it advisable I lift the shocks you know Nigeria roads or increase the rim size?
Re: Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 9:02pm On Apr 20, 2020
yungboss:

The first one is perhaps a 320i. 328i has twin outlets

Yeap you're right
Is the 2009 model available with an E46 engine?

I think the engine is more of a concern now to me
People say E46 is "refined" version of E39 dont know what that mean but I do hope it's cool

Another thing a juggling with is should I go for
manual or auto (i think that personal preference)

Like Manual for the sense of "control" it gives
But again heard the Auto is faster/swift

How true is it?
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 9:07pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:

Again is it advisable I lift the shocks you know Nigeria roads or increase the rim size?

E46 is fine...alot of trims...from 4cyl to 6cyl engines.

I am never a fan of increasing ride heights. My e39 has eibach spring system. I use stock 17s. I think you should Leave the car stock and manage your terrain...someone else could have a different advise.
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 9:16pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:

Yeap you're right
Is the 2009 model available with an E46 engine?

I think the engine is more of a concern now to me
People say E46 is "refined" version of E39 dont know what that mean but I do hope it's cool

Another thing a juggling with is should I go for
manual or auto (i think that personal preference)

Like Manual for the sense of "control" it gives
But again heard the Auto is faster/swift

How true is it?

The e90 didn't share engine with the e46.
The e90 had the N series engine while the e46 had the M designated engine codes.
The e39 and e46 are two different vehicles, 5 and 3 series respectively and they have the inline-6 engines in common.
Manual or auto would be fine. Auto might be easier for you to drive if you live in a crowded city.
Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 20, 2020
yungboss:

I have used e46 330ci, e36 328is (coupe) and e36 320i. Currently own a 540i and a 750li e66. In all, i prefer the 540i for its unassuming power. I used to enjoy driving fast, really fast I.e.
I once had an outing with a friend of mine, in his e90 330i 6 speed, from Benin to Warri under the sultry midday harmattan sun. I didn't ease off throttling until I clocked 225km/h whilst he did an irredeemable 230km/h or thereabouts...was fun...I still have the dashcam vid.

1. E39 540i 6speed man.. You could easily be on 180-200km/h and think the car isn't still fast enough. Very torquey V8.

2. E46 330ci. 5speed man. Had man fun- a Honda crosstour once tried racing the little car in front of him, he couldn't match my speed...couldn't keep up. I used to Always anticipate races on highways lol.

3. E36 328is 1994, 5 speed man. First day I drove it, I felt it was easily faster than the 330ci. It felt raw, masculin and coarse, not as refined as the e46...with louder exhaust. Had fun in it too with the e90 330i mentioned above, a camry V6 couldn't keep up at 200km/h, i knew it wasn't a 4cylinder with the way it kept trying to get close, it had no chance, no traffic.

1995 E36 320i 5 speed auto. 1996cc 150hp, 6cyl. Not a quick car but was fast enough to get me up to 200km/h.

E66 750li. Large sedan, heavy (over 2tonne I guess). Goes as fast as big as it looks. A complex car...lots of electronic modules, maintenance a bit high up the shelf, only reason it's coming last. It's a very fast car, rapid acceleration through the gears with its superb 4.8l V8 engine..I haven't gone really fast in it and I don't intend to. The days of driving fast are no more.

I have not been privileged to drive as many BMWs as you have but my BMW adventure is not going to end anytime soon. grin grin
these cars handle like they are on rails, i find my self always having to check my speedometer cause you cant tell how fast you are going from the feel of the car.
my previous car was a 2007 328i non ZSP. I had serious fun in it and was really attached to that car., i used to hit the speed limiter without trying which made sense cause the ZSP package 328i had the exact same engine but a higher speed limit of 250kph.
The car felt like a caged beast to me, i eventually sold it and was going to buy a ZSP 328I from the same year but got a deal on a fully loaded 335I i couldnt pass on. Its a rocket ship grin
Now I have made a hobby of embarrassing merc, infiniti and lexus drivers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 9:24pm On Apr 20, 2020
yungboss:

E46 is fine...alot of trims...from 4cyl to 6cyl engines.

I am never a fan of reducing ride heights. My e39 has eibach spring system. I use stock 17s. I think you should Leave the car stock and manage your terrain...someone else could have a different advise.

Nice recommendations
I actually meant increasing the height of the ride (some few inch)
Want to use the car for long travels (can't ascertain my terrain) just want to play safe

But you havent given me your recommendation on the fuelling
Thanks
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 9:25pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:

Nice recommendations
Want to use the car for long travels (can't ascertain my terrain) just want to play safe

I can see 4/6cyl if you can throw more light I'll appreciate
Sorry i meant i dont like increasing ride heights
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 9:32pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:

Nice recommendations

I can see 4/6cyl if you can throw more light I'll appreciate
I used to have 18-22mpg on my e46. Fuel consumption was quite good for the 3.0l i-6. Fuel consumption depends on your driving style. So i can't really say much about it as it is subjective. The 4cyl would save more I guess I haven't driven them. Generally they are good on fuel, nothing unusual about consumption.
Re: Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 9:33pm On Apr 20, 2020
yungboss:

Sorry i meant i dont like increasing ride heights

Wow, okay
From a veteran, I'll put your recommendation into consideration

Thanks for the exposure I do really appreciate
Re: Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 9:34pm On Apr 20, 2020
yungboss:

I used to have 18-22mpg on my e46. Fuel consumption was quite good for the 3.0l i-6. Fuel consumption depends on your driving style. So i can't really say much about it as it is subjective. The 4cyl would save more I guess I haven't driven them. Generally they are good on fuel, nothing unusual about consumption.

Great
I'm in safe hands
Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 20, 2020
Paperlin:

as yungboss said NO e90 3 series shares the same engine with any e46. but if fuel consumption is a big deal for you there are e90 models with 4 cylinder engines and ones with smaller inline 6 cylinder engines than the 328I. They are not as common as the 328I but they are out there, you just have to look for them.
as for increasing your ride height thats subjective. its your car and you are free to do as you please with it but i personally dont think its pleasing to the eyes. Maybe you should go for a non sport package, their suspension are a little bit taller than sport models
Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 9:47pm On Apr 20, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

I have not been privileged to drive as many BMWs as you have but my BMW adventure is not going to end anytime soon. grin grin
these cars handle like they are on rails, i find my self always having to check my speedometer cause you cant tell how fast you are going from the feel of the car.
my previous car was a 2007 328i non ZSP. I had serious fun in it and was really attached to that car., i used to hit the speed limiter without trying which made sense cause the ZSP package 328i had the exact same engine but a higher speed limit of 250kph.
The car felt like a caged beast to me, i eventually sold it and was going to buy a ZSP 328I from the same year but got a deal on a fully loaded 335I i couldnt pass on. Its a rocket ship grin
The 335i is very quick, I wouldn't mind owning one soon. I haven't driven the e90 series. They truly feel caged, going fast is very easy.
Re: Beamers Come-around by Paperlin: 9:50pm On Apr 20, 2020
Hmmmmm

Thank you
Re: Beamers Come-around by laivwire(m): 10:59pm On Apr 20, 2020
Good to be here.
e36 320i, e36 318is, e36 328is, e30 316is and finally e46 328i.

Currently I don't use a BMW, hoping to hop back soon enough. My dream? The e90 335i just as described grin Matte grey rolling on 17" with sport fenders, bumpers and spoilers with full option leather and alcantara interior to boot. An M series won't be a bad idea either.

I love the classics too but that's for another day.

At Op, the issues with your post I believe have been pointed out. I've not had the chance the f driving the e90 though but I hang around BMW garages a lot and I know it can be a pain.

@hardeyeber I know a good BMW tech in Ibadan around Ososami. I don't know if you've tried him before though.

1 Like

Re: Beamers Come-around by Eddee(m): 11:49am On Apr 21, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beamers Come-around by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:12pm On Apr 21, 2020
Eddee:
That 335i is something else, tbh. 0-60 in like 4.9s, lmao.

3 Likes

Re: Beamers Come-around by Eddee(m): 1:04pm On Apr 21, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

That 335i is something else, tbh. 0-60 in like 4.9s, lmao.

I just hope say him talk this thing for that Benz thread, nobody go counter with facts like you just did grin
Re: Beamers Come-around by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
Eddee:

I just hope say him talk this thing for that Benz thread, nobody go counter with facts like you just did grin

Dem go say C230k go give am gap.

1 Like

Re: Beamers Come-around by sexyto(m): 3:00pm On Apr 21, 2020
if fuel economy is a problem you can get the 318i, there is even 316i but the power curve will be less.
Re: Beamers Come-around by alphaNomega: 5:31pm On Apr 21, 2020
yungboss:

Your last sentence dey pain me

yungboss:

The e90 didn't share engine with the e46.
The e90 had the N series engine while the e46 had the M designated engine codes.
The e39 and e46 are two different vehicles, 5 and 3 series respectively and they have the inline-6 engines in common.
Manual or auto would be fine. Auto might be easier for you to drive if you live in a crowded city.

LCI E46 comes with N engines too, they are not the EXACT same as the N series on the E90. One notable difference is the absence of the engine oil dipstick in the E90 and a few extra horses, but every other component is similar; water pump, alternator, belts.

1 Like

Re: Beamers Come-around by yungboss(m): 6:33pm On Apr 21, 2020
alphaNomega:

Your last sentence dey pain me

LCI E46 comes with N engines too, they are not the EXACT same as the N series on the E90. One notable difference is the absence of the engine oil dipstick in the E90 and a few extra horses, but every other component is similar; water pump, alternator, belts.
True, good observation.

1 Like

Re: Beamers Come-around by jabolo(m): 8:22pm On Apr 22, 2020
yungboss:

Its senior brother the E39 M5 ... I have done 300 km/h, solid as a rock (one hand on the steering).

Very organic car. Best ever car made by BMW (in my opinion, of course).

I also ran the E34 M5 for a while. That had the better voice when wrung out (more bass) but the E39 was a step change in performance.

1 Like

Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 8:38pm On Apr 22, 2020
jabolo:

Its senior brother the E39 M5 ... I have done 300 km/h, solid as a rock (one hand on the steering).

Very organic car. Best ever car made by BMW (in my opinion, of course).

I also ran the E34 M5 for a while. That had the better voice when wrung out (more bass) but the E39 was a step change in performance.

1 Share

Re: Beamers Come-around by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2020
rationalmind:

He'll say the M5 he drove was unrestricted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beamers Come-around by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

He'll say the M5 he drove was unrestricted.

grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out Innoson's Proposed Model Look For G-wagon / Jiji Online Market Is A Scam / If You Could Have Any 3 Cars, Which Would They Be And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.