Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) (1465 Views)

Top 10 African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slavery Rates / Tinubu, Amaechi, Osinbajo, Okorocha Are Slaves To The North - Fani Kayode / Pregnant Teenage Girls Rescued Along With Other Boko Haram Sex Slaves. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by SecretSpy666: 8:02pm On Apr 20, 2020
Africa just recorded the highest rate of modern-day enslavement in the world.

Armed conflict, state-sponsored forced labor, and forced marriages were the main causes behind the estimated 9.2 million Africans who live in servitude without the choice to do so, according to the 2018 Global Slavery Index. And despite these practices being widespread, slavery has remained a largely invisible issue, in part, because it disproportionately affects the most marginalized members of society, such as minorities, women, and children.

Slavery was especially prevalent in Eritrea and Mauritania, where slavery has even been, at times, an institutionalized practice. In Eritrea, for instance, the one-party state of president Isaias Afwerki has overseen a notorious national conscription service accused of drafting citizens for an indefinite period, contributing to the wave of refugees fleeing the country. Workers that have claimed that they were forced to work in the nation’s first modern mine are also currently suing the Vancouver-based mining company Nevsun that owns a majority stake in the mine.

The situation is more acute in Mauritania, which has the title of the world’s last country to abolish slavery. For centuries, members of the black Haratin group were caught in a cycle of servitude, with the slave status being inherited. Reports have also shown the existence of government collusion with slave owners who intimidate servants who break free from their masters. A January landmark ruling from the African Union stated Mauritania wasn’t doing enough to prosecute and jail the perpetrators of slavery.
In recent years, serfdom in the continent has attracted global attention after videos showed “slave markets” in Libya where African migrants were being auctioned off in car parks, garages, and as well as public squares. Migration to Libya has also put Nigerian women in the crossfire, with many being sucked into Italy’s dangerous world of sex trafficking. During the World Cup games in Russia, anti-slavery group Alternativa said sex traffickers were also planning to exploit Russia’s lax visa rules for the soccer fanfare to love-vendor Nigerian women.

The study, conducted in collaboration with Walk Free Foundation and the International Labor Organization, also notes how consumers all over the world are getting products that at some stage were touched by the hands of modern-day slaves. This was especially the case with the G20 nations, who have strong laws and systems against servitude, but who collectively import $354 billion worth of at-risk products annually.

As previous reports have shown, cases of slavery still persist lower down the supply chain in commodity-producing nations like the DR Congo and Cote D’Ivore.

Source: https://qz.com/africa/1333946/global-slavery-index-africa-has-the-highest-rate-of-modern-day-slavery-in-the-world/

Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by Erosion2020: 8:15pm On Apr 20, 2020
We blame our numerous passed leaders. Africa is a lost continent.
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by Captainrambo2: 8:37pm On Apr 20, 2020
Erosion2020:
We blame our numerous passed leaders. Africa is a lost continent.
well just see the slowpoke sitting in Aso rock a typical example of the kind of people Africa now has....

I remember when sam doe of Liberia was too scared to move around even in his own state capital ,.. ibb mobilized ecomog and placed Nigerian soldiers in liberia... the whole world was shocked. Even the rebels were thoroughly suppressed. It was when the gambian army took over from the Nigeria troops stationed in the state capital that sam doe was quickly kidnapped and killed.

Ibb was not a saint netheir was obj or abacha... but the useless clown in aso rock is making them look like mpvs.

Abacha or ibb would have crushed bokoharam already

Is buhari expecting Tanzania or gambia or Gabon to be the leader of Africa ?

Buhari is a failure.......
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by kkkp: 8:41pm On Apr 20, 2020
Captainrambo2:
well just see the slowpoke sitting in Aso rock a typical example of the kind of people Africa now has....

I remember when sam doe of Liberia was too scared to move around even in his own state capital ,.. ibb mobilized ecomog and placed Nigerian soldiers in liberia... the whole world was shocked. Even the rebels were thoroughly suppressed. It was when the gambian army took over from the Nigeria troops stationed in the state capital that sam doe was quickly kidnapped and killed.

Ibb was not a saint netheir was obj or abacha... but the useless clown in aso rock is making them look like mpvs.

Abacha or ibb would have crushed bokoharam already

Is buhari expecting Tanzania or gambia or Gabon to be the leader of Africa ?

Buhari is a failure.......

you guys should move on. I don't know why you cant move on since 2019. Buhari go continue dey pepper una till 2023
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:44pm On Apr 20, 2020
Slavery in Africa always occur and is prevalent whenever 'black' Arabs are allowed to rule Negroes. Their hate is almost fanatical
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by Captainrambo2: 8:45pm On Apr 20, 2020
kkkp:
you guys should move on. I don't know why you cant move on since 2019. Buhari go continue dey pepper una till 2023
taking about real issue here ,, a zombie is quoting me to talk about what exactly?

Imagine o
We're talking about slavery in africa,, a slave that hasnt attained mental emancipation is taking like Bashir

1 Like

Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by Captainrambo2: 8:49pm On Apr 20, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
Slavery in Africa always occur and is prevalent whenever 'black' Arabs are allowed to rule Negroes. Their hate is almost fanatical
very true... north African countries should be driven out of Au.... I do not see them as Africans,, they really aren't.

In us the term African american doesn't apply to them...

The berbers and tuareg will prefer yiu call them arabs than Africans

5 Likes

Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by googi: 8:53pm On Apr 20, 2020
I expect some people to come here and tell us about how it is worse in Nigeria. Give them visa for any of these places, they would jump and grab.
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by helinues: 8:54pm On Apr 20, 2020
Libya must be on top of Africa list
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by helinues: 8:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
kkkp:

Move on kwa?
They are still at stucked with 2015 election lose

1 Like

Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:58pm On Apr 20, 2020
If Fulanis and their European backers had their way, the whole of West Africa would be some big colony, right now, it's little more than that, how people can't see it is totally beyond me

Captainrambo2:
very true... north African countries should be driven out of Au.... I do not see them as Africans,, they really aren't.

In us the term African american doesn't apply to them...

The berbers and tuareg will prefer yiu call them arabs than Africans
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by Captainrambo2: 9:01pm On Apr 20, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
If Fulanis and their European backers had their way, the whole of West Africa would be some big colony, right now, it's little more than that, how people can't see it is totally beyond me

this fact is not lost on all..... I know this. Especially France

This doesn't mean we cant Marshall ourselves out if the hole... they english tried this with Indonesia and Japan.. they abandoned the yeye thing midway....

We just end up selecting leaders with no pride and charisma at each turn cry
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:15pm On Apr 20, 2020
Nigeria's situation is like putting the Japanese and Chinese as one country because they are both Asians.
It would never work, yes we do have to marshal ourselves out of this quagmire.
But of course we need to "know ourselves"

Captainrambo2:
this fact is not lost on all..... I know this. Especially France

This doesn't mean we cant Marshall ourselves out if the hole... they english tried this with Indonesia and Japan.. they abandoned the yeye thing midway....

We just end up selecting leaders with no pride and charisma at each turn cry
Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by Captainrambo2: 9:34pm On Apr 20, 2020
StaffofOrayan:
Nigeria's situation is like putting the Japanese and Chinese as one country because they are both Asians.
It would never work, yes we do have to marshal ourselves out of this quagmire.
But of course we need to "know ourselves"

words. The Japanese-Chinese analogy was lite.

Needless to say country gat break up.... Nigerians re very diff from one another

1 Like

Re: African Countries With The Highest Modern Day Slaves (photos) by SecretSpy666: 9:01am On Apr 21, 2020
It is just too bad

(1) (Reply)

SURVIVAL FUND: www.survivalfund.ng Is The Website / Tweets: This American Says Biden Presidency Won't Support Buhari / Breaking News : Bandits Kidnap 300 Girl Students From Secondary School In Zamafa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.