Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown (1013 Views)

Governors Agree On 14-Day National COVID-19 Lockdown / South-East Governors Agree To Establish Regional Community Police / FG, South-West Governors Agree To Formalise Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by sunnyanet(m): 1:08am On Apr 23, 2020
Governors of the 36 States of the federation on Wednesday “unanimously” agreed to the implementation of an inter-State lockdown in the country over the next two weeks to mitigate the spread of the pandemic COVID-19 virus from State to State.

The governors, operating under the aegis of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF), reached the agreement after receiving briefing from the Governors of Lagos, Bauchi, Oyo and Ogun States who shared their experiences and lessons from the fight against COVID-19.

A communiqe issued by the NGF chairman and governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, at the end of the sixth COVID-19 teleconference meeting said only essential services would be permitted.

State governors called for the decentralization of the COVID-19 response as the best chance of nipping the spread of the virus in communities with over 25 States now affected by the spread of the virus and increasing evidence of community transmission.

Members of the NGF also voiced serious concern over the rising spread of the virus among health workers and resolved to work with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to ensure that health workers are “adequately” provided with personal protective equipment (PPE) and are “constantly” trained on the use of protective gears.

This followed an update from the NGF Secretariat on the number of COVID-19 cases in the country.

Governors also resolved to set up COVID-19 committees at the regional level, headed by their State Commissioners of Health in order to strengthen coordinated implementation of necessary public health recommendations across States.

Regional committees, the communique added, will continue to interface with the State Task Force Committees on COVID-19 already established in each State.

The NGF Chairman briefed the forum on the rapidly evolving situation of the COVID-19 pandemic and coordination efforts with the federal government, multilateral and bilateral partners, and the private sector through the Coalition against COVID-19 (CACOVID).

The forum held a minute’s silence in honour of all Nigerians who had lost their lives from coronavirus, especially health workers who were in the front lines of the epidemic.

The NGF also congratulated the governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, who after nearly four weeks of testing positive and observing very strict medical regime, has now received two consecutive negative test results for the coronavirus.

Members also conveyed their condolence to President Muhammadu Buhari and the people of Borno State on the passing of the Chief of Staff to the President, Mallam Abba Kyari

https://afemaireporters.com.ng/2020/04/22/breaking-governors-agree-on-14-days-national-covid-19-lockdown/

Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by smartblu(m): 1:11am On Apr 23, 2020
Hope the governors would unanimously send palliatives to all citizens otherwise....
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by tyson99(m): 1:13am On Apr 23, 2020
Hehe problem is seriously looming
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by QweenM(f): 1:21am On Apr 23, 2020
Are these governors serious at all? Lockdown with no palliatives at all. undecided

I wonder what's gonna happen to Lagos and the 2 other states that have been in lockdown for over 3 weeks.

I just hope and pray they don't go ahead with this ooo, there's hunger in the land.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by beylinko02: 1:35am On Apr 23, 2020
Lockdown is good but is it the best solution? Enforce the use of face mask, use of hand sanitizer and proper hygiene. The People are hungry, politicians And the People at the helm of affairs are busy Stealing.

What kept them from enforcing this from the begining when People keep flying into the country in the name of the elite.

But as for me and my house, we won't just survive this, we will come out unscathed.
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by princemillla(m): 1:35am On Apr 23, 2020
This better be the way I reason am as I DEy read am. Only interstate locking no further lock down within state just interstate movements.

Pls ooooo igi ewedu o ni wo pa wa ooo
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by Ilola(f): 1:37am On Apr 23, 2020
Its not fair, no arrangements on ground for the masses. God have mercy
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by weyreypey: 1:57am On Apr 23, 2020
Hmm
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by Susu888(m): 2:54am On Apr 23, 2020
It was long overdue,hope they will use this chance to focus on areas like kano, bauchi ,borno , because those states without FG's intervention are a ticking bomb lipsrsealed

southerners hv a better chance of coming out with small casualties but as for my dear north .... we really are in for a catastrophe never seen before in history. cry
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by SoNature(m): 3:23am On Apr 23, 2020
Since the federal government didn't implement a national lockdown, every state should consider their peculiarities and work according to them.

For instance, you cannot compare Lagos and Abuja (the epicenters) to Imo and Enugu (states without confirmed cases at the moment).

While some states need total lockdown, other states don't necessarily need it.

We have been enjoying partial lockdown in Enugu ever since this crises broke out. After all, Enugu has no other confirmed cases at the moment.
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by LegalOpinion: 3:41am On Apr 23, 2020
Audio ban. There was no ban anywhere and there is still going to be no ban. All borders are open for traffic.
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by Validated: 3:53am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigerians should just prepare for 45 days lockdown with very very disastrous testing and COVID management programme. I am not a prophet of doom but I foresee serious challenges in Nigeria. The testimg is so poor, people are lackadaisical, government is in disarray, healthcare professionals lack dedication. COVID that humbled New Yorkers is being caressed by Nigerians. I shiver in fear.
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by BusinessLaw: 4:12am On Apr 23, 2020
Nigeria cannot afford shutting down its economy at this critical point.

Goverment should relax the lockdown slowly. Schools, religious gatherings, markets and any other gatherings should remain under lockdown for now. Enforce social distancing in public transportation and allow businesses resume with emphasis on hygiene.

beylinko02:
Lockdown is good but is it the best solution? Enforce the use of face mask, use of hand sanitizer and proper hygiene. The People are hungry, politicians And the People at the helm of affairs are busy Stealing.

What kept them from enforcing this from the begining when People keep flying into the country in the name of the elite.

But as for me and my house, we won't just survive this, we will come out unscathed.
With this I believe we would be fine
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by Cholls(m): 4:24am On Apr 23, 2020
princemillla:
This better be the way I reason am as I DEy read am. Only interstate locking no further lock down within state just interstate movements.

Pls ooooo igi ewedu o ni wo pa wa ooo
my brother some people didn't understand the write-up.

Excerpt:

" State governors called for the decentralization of the
COVID-19 response as the best chance of nipping the
spread of the virus in communities with over 25
States now affected by the spread of the virus and
increasing evidence of community transmission."
Re: BREAKING: Governors Agree On 14 Days National COVID-19 Lockdown by Mynd44: 5:58am On Apr 23, 2020

(1)

Onu Never Stepped Down For Olu Falae / #malamigate - Sahara Reporters Exposes Agfs Multi-billion Properties / Arthur Eze Vs Obiano: Arthur On The Run As Obiano Suspends Igwe Ukwulu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.