Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,748 members, 7,824,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... (2898 Views)

The Best Gaming Phones 2021: Specs And Prices / Is The Infinix Hot S3X Really Worth 63,000? [Photos] / Six Months After: Is The Iphone X Overpriced Or Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 7:35am On Apr 23, 2020
[img]https://1.bp..com/-UEBYQ6FZyFU/XqEaRWHa-SI/AAAAAAAAAcI/P7NQYyEEyuUVp3zKl7ep9HYeMh3kUHidgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Black-Shark-3-2.jpg[/img]
In the world of computers, there are devices called ''gaming computers'', which are designed for playing high end games with great computing power. Certainly, someone new to the term will think gaming laptops (or desktops) can only play video games just like a console. Not really, as they have that prefix due to the fact that gaming is the hardest thing a PC can do. High triple title games can push a computer to it's limits. Since the gaming industry is bigger than it's music and movie counterparts, it's safe to say that there's a growing demand for more gaming oriented devices, which include smartphones. Armed to the teeth, these phones bring to the table new and sophisticated features not found in phones at their price range.

1.0: Brief history of Gaming phones:

While the Asus ROG (Republic of gamers) phone is widely acclaimed to be the first gaming smartphone, gaming phones have been in production have been in production long before Asus decided to even create one. Some notably like the Nokia N-Gage.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-Vean_Frn49Y/XqEbqKAAxsI/AAAAAAAAAcg/voLJZCH59tofcH2a0JP2yUVxpppied86ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/gsmarena_004.jpg[/img]
The Nokia N-Gage

The N-gage was basically a combination of smartphone and a gaming system, all in a handheld package. Released around October in 2003, it was probably made to compete with the Gameboy advance, which was a big hit at the time. It was impressive, as it could play games other smartphones couldn't at the time, like Call of duty and Tony hawks pro skater. Although not a huge financial success, the N-gage actually started a new dimension of smartphone plus video game hybrids, which still head on till this day.

We also have the Sony ericsson play, of which we know the company for the PlayStation. The Sony Xperia was a promotion for Sony's gaming brand, and could play PSP (PlayStation portable) games.

2.0 Features of gaming Phones:

[img]https://1.bp..com/-rfocxNnFiEE/XqEdferm28I/AAAAAAAAAcw/5U_LCu916-AkrPo8-kSDefo93a1pNVp1ACLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/xiaomi-black-shark-2-6-1572878999523.jpg[/img]

What features and specifications do Gaming phones boast that make them stand out from the others? Let's check them out.

2.1: High end Chipsets:

The main fact of buying gaming branded smartphones is that you're basically getting some of the best chipsets around. The Razer phone was released in 2017 with a snapdragon 835, and the Xiaomi black shark too in 2018 with a snapdragon 845. These chipsets by Qualcomm were the top of the line then providing enough GPU and CPU power to run some of the most intensive games and apps. A gaming phone will always try to field the latest chipset when possible in the market.

2.2: Quality screen resolutions and higher refresh rates:

Another notable specification of gaming phones is the screen resolution and refresh rate. most gaming phones employ a 2k or QHD resolution, while other phones mostly use a 1080p resolution. But in terms of refresh rate, these phones can use up to 144hz, which is the same rate used in high end gaming computers. Most flagships only use up to 120hz. This refresh rate will help in your competitive online gaming to make you have an edge in those shootouts.

2.3: Better Audio:

What's better than hearing the blasting sound of bullets, or the sound of your tires burning when making an intense drift? well, having great audio capabilities finally. Most serious gaming phones are armed with stereo speakers, which provide better sound and add to the overall gaming experience.
For example the first Asus ROG phone had dual front facing speakers with a smart amplifier which offered a hi-res 192kHz/24-bit audio and DTSX virtual 7.1-channel surround sound.

2.4: Better haptic feedback:

[img]https://1.bp..com/-jMZzyxhL_1w/XqEasONrlnI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/SZatUijtfO06wsLRl8K1z8j_K6Rfr-OjQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/blackshark-3-1280x720.jpg[/img]

Haptics, is basically your phone or controller touching you. Yes, not only can you touch or respond to your controllers, but your controllers can respond to you too. But keep in mind that it's a mode of communication. An example is that vibration you get when you're detected or shot, or when you go off-road in a racing game.

As you've guessed, good haptics are extremely important for a complete gaming system. They do this by employing the best vibration motor when possible. There are actually two types of motors, the ERM(Eccentric rotating mass) and the Linear vibration motor. While the former is used extensively in most phones, few phones adopt the linear due to it's faster acceleration. some of which include the gaming phones.

2.5: Large batteries:

Oh-boy, if you think you've seen the biggest batteries around you need to check out the gaming phones! Some phones like the Asus ROG 2 even go up to 6,000mAh. Now that's something you don't see everyday.

2.6: Extra ''Gamey'' Internals and accessories:

While most smartphones have basic internals, gaming phones are notorious for cranking up the volume by a wide margin. Some smartphones come with a cooling pipe, a gaming phone actually comes with a fan that can reach up to 15,000 rpm. This is just the tip of the iceberg, as gaming phones employ premium features such as high amounts of RAM (like 12Gb), up to 512gb of internal memory of which Is UFS 3.0, mappable keys, array of ports, RGB lights and so on.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-0KgVXduOSjk/XqEbXUogJMI/AAAAAAAAAcY/ZfCRprUR8foeZWW2yECaAQED_joYlR6HwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Black-Shark-3-1.jpg[/img]

As for accessories, you could get the drift easily, gaming headphones, game pads, dual/twin screen clamps, peripheral cooling clamps, Mobile Desktop Dock, which allows users to connect the ROG phone to an external 4K UHD monitor, keyboard or mouse, and so on. Some even have enhanced software with proprietary gaming modes.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-FssX3X4ru4s/XqEccaLW7KI/AAAAAAAAAco/lfo4k1BKD_8A4iSou1ez8RcR4obUPy2awCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/3.png[/img]

2.7: The brand:

There's something about a brand name that gives out power and style, like walking into a coffee shop and seeing someone with the same product from a brand too. Brand identification is a feature that is well catered for in gaming phones and mostly for gamers. You can take pride in pulling out your phone, or gaming branded accessories and subsequently stand out in the mist of gamers too.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-lF21AkA0_pU/XqEe-mjkxtI/AAAAAAAAAdE/m5gWtcES20MsIOVySzhv_faxW4wMkBKRwCEwYBhgL/s1600/dsc07327final-100740593-orig.jpg[/img]

3.0: Bottom line: Do you really need a Gaming phone?

Well if you've noticed, most of the features mentioned up there can be found on flagships at the range of 1000 dollars. Unlike in the world of computers, most smartphone games are not that taxing on hardware and can be suitably played across devices. In PC gaming older titles from 2015 can give modern computers a run for their money. But the truth is, most of the features or specifications of gaming smartphones are often exaggerated, and sometimes in a good way.

Most serious gaming smartphones employ the absolute best of the best specifications, so if you're going for the best, you might want to get them. If one of their fancy features cater to your needs then go ahead. This can be their large batteries, high storage capability, refresh rate or even just the brand name. All this though if you can accept the price...as these phones often come above 500$.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-WtVoNQlGrwI/XqEet4FzHfI/AAAAAAAAAc8/0crQoID2lPwK2X_cMmkm78J6Bd2H_hmrgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/IMG_20180604_110539.0.jpg[/img]

But it all balls down to preference. These phones are targeted at a particular set of people, The gamers. There's a reason why gaming phones don't come with a top of the line camera or better call features. That's because those features aren't ''gamey'' by any chance. So if you're a hardcore gamer and you want people to know this, your gaming smartphone can be of help because its really flashy and will definitely stand out from the rest...….Obviously the RGB lighting and the aggressive looking metal bars will give it away. but if you're a corporate or business person where appearance and looks matters a lot, it might make no sense. Imagine being in a serious meeting and taking a phone call with something that looks like a piece of alien technology.

So that brings us to the end of the post. What do you think of Gaming phones? effective? Gimmicky? Let us know below. Until then, see you next time.

Source:
https://techtemplar..com/2020/04/are-gaming-phones-really-worth-it-truth.html?m=1

Cc: Mynd44
Dominique
Honsule
Dragnet
Lalasticlala

8 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Meklex(m): 8:57am On Apr 23, 2020
They're unnecessary

11 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by inedujac: 8:57am On Apr 23, 2020
Educative!

5 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by jericco1(m): 9:07am On Apr 23, 2020
They're worth it

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by DriggityDre: 10:33am On Apr 23, 2020
Nice post, CaseTemplar.
They are worth it.

3 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by DriggityDre: 10:36am On Apr 23, 2020
Personally, I think portability is a factor to consider. Most people move about a lot, so they would like something portable to carry along.
Also, I think Razer has the best gaming phone, right?

3 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Trex4(m): 2:12pm On Apr 23, 2020
Saved cheesy nice post
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Memberclub(m): 2:28pm On Apr 23, 2020
Not worth it. Go for ps vita or Nintendo switch if you want a mobile gaming device

4 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by DriggityDre: 2:46pm On Apr 23, 2020
CaseTemplar, I just remembered that old thread about game glitches grin

1 Like

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by skywalker240(m): 4:05pm On Apr 23, 2020
grin

the day tecno and infinix go try dis one na dat day you go see phone wey dey explo..... grin

Okotomeow. grin make i no talk o

5 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:22pm On Apr 23, 2020
DriggityDre:
Nice post, CaseTemplar.
They are worth it.

DriggityDre:
Personally, I think portability is a factor to consider. Most people move about a lot, so they would like something portable to carry along.

DriggityDre:
CaseTemplar, I just remembered that old thread about game glitches grin

Thanks bro I really appreciate...for the comments and the follow. Sorry for the late reply but I've been quarelling with the anti spam bot since morning. I agree that gaming phones are worth it too. If you're a gamer and you have a gaming laptop, a gaming headset or a branded controller, why not just complete it with a gaming phone at once. grin

Also I don't think razer is the best actually, the Asus Rog, Nubia red magic and Xiaomi blackshark are the best out there. Razer is good but not the best though.

2 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2020
Meklex:
They're unnecessary
.mind telling us why you think so sir?
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:24pm On Apr 23, 2020
inedujac:
Educative!
Thanks smiley
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2020
jericco1:
They're worth it
I Also think so too. The specs are too good to be brushed off as a gimmick or a cash grab.
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by DriggityDre: 4:27pm On Apr 23, 2020
CaseTemplar:

Thanks bro I really appreciate...for the comments and the follow. Sorry for the late reply but I've been quarelling with the anti spam bot since morning. I agree that gaming phones are worth it too. If you're a gamer and you have a gaming laptop, a gaming headset or a branded controller, why not just complete it with a gaming phone at once. grin

Also I don't think razer is the best actually, the Asus Rog, Nubia red magic and Xiaomi blackshark are the best out there. Razer is good but not the best though.
No problem, brah. Don't overthink it smiley
I follow you 'cos I've been a fan since your arrival (on my 1st account).
Yes, I do believe Razer might not be the best. I heard Black Shark is really good though. I am a gamer (hobby). So I always like this kind of information.

2 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:29pm On Apr 23, 2020
Memberclub:
Not worth it. Go for ps vita or Nintendo switch if you want a mobile gaming device
Interesting angle. I even Forgot to mention this in the post. Sony said the failure of the ps vita was because of mobile gaming. I don't even believe this, as the greatest barrier to gaming phones today is portable handhelds like the switch, which can even play Wolfenstein,Witcher and Skyrim. Now that's nice

2 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:37pm On Apr 23, 2020
DriggityDre:

No problem, brah. Don't overthink it smiley
I follow you 'cos I've been a fan since your arrival (on my 1st account).
Yes, I do believe Razer might not be the best. I heard Black Shark is really good though. I am a gamer (hobby). So I always like this kind of information.
Thanks again grin cheesy I love games too. Where razer shines more is in the Computer department. If you want an undercover gaming laptop, without the aggressive look, they're for you. I prefer the Black shark more self. Happy reading cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by CaseTemplar(m): 4:39pm On Apr 23, 2020
skywalker240:
grin

the day tecno and infinix go try dis one na dat day you go see phone wey dey explo.....grin

Okotomeow. grin make i no talk o
No be talk am oh lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Daviestunech(m): 4:58pm On Apr 23, 2020
Gaming on phone is totally useless for me

Nothing beats gaming on PC or console

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by skywalker240(m): 7:26pm On Apr 23, 2020
CaseTemplar:
No be talk am oh lipsrsealed
grin grin
I don sha save this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Mark9854(m): 7:38pm On Apr 23, 2020
Nice article op, gaming phones are quite powerful but there are very little games to utilize it's capabilities, and also gaming phones are expensive... So for me it's not worth it. PC or Console all the way.

4 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2020
DriggityDre:

Asus ROG 2. Bad ass specs. Saw the phone on AliExpress some months back

2 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by DriggityDre: 8:57pm On Apr 23, 2020
iyke926:

Asus ROG 2. Bad ass specs. Saw the phone on AliExpress some months back
It's true. I was wrong. Asus ROG and Xiaomi Blackshark are bad ass. Razer is known for its sleek look tho.

1 Like

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by AmosAkins: 10:45pm On Apr 23, 2020
The cheapest gaming phone should be poco F1 I guess
They worth it for their price.
Portability is key shocked wink

2 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Thebwoy: 12:40am On Apr 24, 2020
Daviestunech:

Maybe your PC is mobile

1 Like

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by ValCon888: 5:48am On Apr 24, 2020
DriggityDre:
Nice post, CaseTemplar.
They are worth it.
I beg to differ.
The price of a gaming phone will get you a gaming laptop with better graphics and access to more high-end games.
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by DriggityDre: 5:59am On Apr 24, 2020
ValCon888:

I beg to differ.
The price of a gaming phone will get you a gaming laptop with better graphics and access to more high-end games.
Yeah. I already talked about that.
DriggityDre:
Portability is key. Someone suggested the use of PSVita and Switch. It all boils down to preferences. Some people prefer handheld consoles, some prefer PC, some prefer gaming phones.
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by directonpc(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2020
Lack of physical buttons
Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Meklex(m): 7:46am On Apr 24, 2020
CaseTemplar:
.mind telling us why you think so sir?
First off, my phone is Snapdragon 845 fitted and it's not branded a "gaming phone", but I can fluidly play 100% of the games available for Android devices.

Secondly, apart from CODm, PUBG, Autosport Grid, NBA2k20, Mortal Kombat and PES, there are really not many power hungry games for mobile phones to splurge that much on a gaming phone.

I will consider getting a gaming phone if they start producing mobile equivalent of console games just like they're doing with Nintendo Switch

3 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by Playermayweda(m): 8:37am On Apr 24, 2020
It's not worth it unless mobile devices can bring games with the same quality as consoles i think it's an absolute waste of money coz mobile games aren't that good and a $1000 gaming phone just has slightly better graphics than a $200 smartphone, i rather use the $1000 dollars and buy a ps4 dat won't be more than $800 if o want to play games, it's more sensible to me

2 Likes

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by 2kurupt(m): 12:43pm On Apr 24, 2020
Very well written article.

Personally I think they're over the top and too pricey for the marginal advantages they offer. I'll rather buy a full fledged gaming PC for that price

1 Like

Re: Are Gaming Phones Really Worth It?: The Truth.... by 2kurupt(m): 1:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
Daviestunech:

I wouldn't really call it useless since your console or PC are not portable nor can they rescue you from boredom during a long, lonely commute.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

95% Neatly Used Redmi Note 9 Pro For Sale / Family And Friends,free Calls, / What Is The Best Data Plan For Streaming Videos Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.