Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,275 members, 7,839,372 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Is OIL Worthless? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is OIL Worthless? (259 Views)

Feeling Worthless? Online Therapy Can Help / Bill Gates Critics: U.S. COVID-19 Testing Is 'worthless' (pix, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is OIL Worthless? by Izigha(m): 7:57pm On Apr 23, 2020
Is oil worthless? the simple answer is no. The black gold is the most capitalistic and the most traded commodity on earth. Its also an exception of economics of demand and supply.
The price of oil is affected by wars, rumors of wars, by geopolitics, by the media, by an interview with a Saudi oil minister or even by Donald Trump twit. I remember when the Niger militant pipe bomb or a kidnapping of Shell expat will cause a bump in the price of crude.
The current Covid 19 has brought economic activities to a grinding halt worldwide and the market have reacted - overreacted in my opinion. Currently the price of crude is around $22 a barrel. Then earlier this week boom, big headlines oil is below zero, no its now -$20, no check again its actually -$40 a barrel. Producer will give you $40 to buy a barrel of oil.
what they fail to explain to readers is that this are quote for future contracts, which are for a delivery of 1000 barrels. Instead of paying somebody $40,000 to give him a 1000 barrels why not just throwaway the oil.
Oil traders in New York and London are behind a computer and have no intention of taking deliveries of this oil when they buy this future contracts on options, many are betting for the price to rise and they just close the contracts for a profit or let it expire for a lost. This traders are not in the market, they do not want oil so their appetite is reflated in the negative quote.
In spite of all this, Nigeria should really start getting serious about diversification of the economy . Unfortunately, the money to achieve this is going to come from the black gold - oil.

1 Like

Re: Is OIL Worthless? by budaatum: 8:08pm On Apr 23, 2020
It would change when demand picks up, but for now its sort of worthless oil everywhere that no one wants.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-17/nigeria-s-banner-oil-hits-12-millions-of-barrels-remain-unsold

Re: Is OIL Worthless? by scoundrel(f): 9:58pm On Apr 23, 2020
The second poster obviously did not read the body of the thread. After reading this post he'll go back to read it then reply me saying he did the first time. Nothing concerns me and the international oil price. If it likes let it fluctuate to hell, it doesn't affect my existence since freelancing using articles online are only constrained by the experience of the writer and the amount of data he/she possesses at the time.

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus Dies In Sunlight, Says Us Homeland Security / COVID-19: Jubilation In Uyo As 3 Persons Are Discharged / Wellbeing Foundation Africa's Midwife In Nigeria Uses Nutrition Knowledge To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.