Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,447 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. (382 Views)

Naked Protest Shocks South Africa (PICS) / Arresting Putin In South Africa, A Declaration Of War On Our Country - Ramaphosa / “europe Is A Garden, Africa A Jungle” ~ EU Foreign Policy Chief Boasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. by golddust6000(m): 5:23pm On Apr 24, 2020
Classifying countries as Developing and Developed is clearly disingenuous because it implies that a country cannot regress so I prefer the term industrialised and unindustrialised.

White South Africa became a largely industrialised country with best-in-class infrastructure mainly after many large infrastructure projects in the 1940s - 1980s with best-of-era sea and air ports, a national rail and highway system, nuclear electricity generation, an advanced telephone network and even nuclear weapons and a space program.
The infrastructure South Africa has might be stunning and on the level of many so-called “First World” nations but that is not the only or main criteria of determining what a developed country is. Even the fact that it is a newly industrialized country will not get it an easy pass.

A very large proportion of South Africans (almost all black and Colored) is very poor - “poor” like the way you would think of a so-called typical “Third World” nations. These people live in slums and shanty towns, many are unemployment and the few that are lucky enough to find employment are often exploited by unscrupulous capitalists (almost exclusively white) on the farms and in the factories. These people can hardly (literally) afford basic things like food, and many of their informal settlements do not have basic infrastructure such as clean running water, electricity, sanitation and institutions of basic education.

The important part for me here is proportions; a much larger portion of South Africa's population is very poor and struggles a lot. The poverty-stricken part of South Africa is incredibly larger than the wealthy, bling bling life part of South Africa that you see on television. The poor part is largely hidden from general media attention, which is not really surprising because the media are owned by the very same exploitative capitalists.

The nicer, wealthy “developed” part of South Africa is enjoyed by a very tiny minority largely made up of whites, government officials and a few blacks that have risen to the top through many ways (ethical or unethical; it does not really matter to them).

But yet again, half of the population lacks electricity, their public school education, like most African countries, is slammed, got a high criminal rate (I mean that country is scary as hell).

So I would say South Africa is neither well nor Developing. They are in between.
Re: Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. by Ivimilly: 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2020
Lol I wonder what concerns us with South Africa, don't you have a state of origin which you can write an article about?
Re: Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. by golddust6000(m): 5:29pm On Apr 24, 2020
Ivimilly:
Lol I wonder what concerns us with South Africa, don't you have a state of origin which you can write an article about?
just wanna shear my experience.

1 Like

Re: Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. by TMKsouth: 6:07pm On Apr 24, 2020
Ivimilly:

There's actually a whole field of academic study called International Relations. Your universities in Nigeria have such departments flooded with thousands of students annually who end up filling posts at the UN, AU, World Bank and foreign embassies.

What do u think is the purpose of your Foreign Affairs minister?

Why do you think Nairaland has a section dedicated to foreign news?

Please try thinking about these questions, although I believe it will be very difficult for you judging by the sheer oblivious ignorance u have displayed in your post.

You are sadly a parochial individual. Next time just skip topics you don't like or understand without farting all over them. Nairaland has millions of topics you can engage in instead.

1 Like

Re: Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. by golddust6000(m): 6:29pm On Apr 24, 2020
TMKsouth:

There's actually a whole field of academic study called International Relations. Your universities in Nigeria have such departments flooded with thousands of students annually who end up filling posts at the UN, AU, World Bank and foreign embassies.

What do u think is the purpose of your Foreign Affairs minister?

Why do you think Nairaland has a section dedicated to foreign news?

Please try thinking about these questions, although I believe it will be very difficult for you judging by the sheer oblivious ignorance u have displayed in your post.

You are sadly a parochial individual. Next time just skip topics you don't like or understand without farting all over them. Nairaland has millions of topics you can engage in instead.
You said it all.
Re: Is South Africa A Develope Country?? Here Is What You Need To Know. by TMKsouth: 6:52pm On Apr 24, 2020
golddust6000:
You said it all.

People like that really irritate me.

Anyway, there's some truth to your post although I found it highly biased towards apartheid and white people, while throwing shade at black people and governance.

The system of apartheid (separate and unjust development) itself results in huge economic inequality, the legacy of which we are living with today. So if the majority black were poor back then just as they are today, how come u classify apartheid SA as industrialised but Democratic SA as the opposite of that? This despite the economy having been quadrupled by the black government.

Also you cast doubt on the legitimacy of the wealthy and middle-class black sector of Democratic SA, forgetting the fact that apartheid itself operated on a grand corruption scale. The system was nepotistic and ensured that only whites got the best jobs and lived the fanciest lives - especially Afrikaners. This was even legislated.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Thousands Homeless As Floods, Landslides Hit Kenya (Photos) / Trump Targets Foreign Workers With New Visa Freeze / Republican Governor Baker Reaffirms He Won’t Vote For Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.