Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,129 members, 7,867,270 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:07 PM

Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL (349 Views)

Rift Between Mikel Obi And Onazi Divides Super Eagles / Super Eagles: Onazi Under Fire Over Performance During England Friendly / Onazi Ogenyi And His Daughter Step Out For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL by robosky02(m): 6:45pm On Apr 24, 2020
Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL

Nigerian midfielder Ogenyi Onazi says there is the possibility that he might play in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) before retiring.
Onazi never played in the NPFL but featured for the youth teams of El Kanemi Warriors and My People FM.
Also Read: Man United Fans Want Ndidi To Partner Up With Fernandes, Pogba Next Season

He then joined the youth team of Serie A club Lazio where he spent two years (2011- 2012).

Speaking on Smooth FM Lagos from his base in Turkey, when asked if he can play in the Nigerian top flight, Onazi said: “There is the possibility because right now the NFF are trying their best and they can do better. There are other African leagues that are even doing more.”

“It’s not a bad option, one can come back home and do something. I don’t mind I think I an someone who can do that.”

The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner also said he is not through with international football, that he is ready to play again for the country if invited.

He was part of the Eagles squad to the 2018 FIFA World Cup but was dropped from last year’s AFCON due to injury.

The 26-year-old said: “This is my country I cannot say no when my country calls me to come and play. I’m back and fit and ready to play any time I’m called upon.”

Onazi currently plays for Denizlispor whom he joined in 2020 from Trabzonspor.

Lalasticlala mynd44

https://www.completesports.com/onazi-considers-playing-in-the-npfl/

Re: Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL by manuel4real(m): 6:46pm On Apr 24, 2020
onazi 26years, dem Neva born me b datgrin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL by garetz: 6:51pm On Apr 24, 2020
manuel4real:
onazi 26years, dem Neva born me b datgrin grin grin
Lol grin grin grin
Re: Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL by robosky02(m): 6:52pm On Apr 24, 2020
What can we do to attract good player to the NPFL

For me I think.

Teams should recruit young stars

And also allow ex super eagle stars to return before retirement

Guys what do you think
Re: Onazi Considers Playing In The NPFL by robosky02(m): 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2020
Nigerian overseas-based stars ‘relaunch’ careers with NPFL

After their sojourn in different parts of Europe ended, some Nigerian players have started returning to various clubs in the Nigeria Professional Football League, where they initially started their careers, reports Idris Adesina

The tide of footballers returning to their country’s domestic leagues after successful – or otherwise – careers outside their countries’ shores seems to be sweeping towards Nigeria once again.

Recently, there has been an increase in the number of former overseas-based players returning to the country to ply their trade with clubs in the Nigeria Professional Football League.

While many home-based footballers are desperate for a move abroad in search of the proverbial Golden Fleece, some of the players abroad, whose careers have not turned out so well, have returned to the country to try their lucks in the domestic league. While some have been reported to have hooked up with new clubs in the NPFL, others are waiting on the sidelines for clubs who will get their signatures and offer them a new beginning.

This trend, which is age-long, is not limited to Nigeria alone. South America, arguably, has the largest export of footballers to Europe with Africa managing its own quota in the backwater leagues of Europe.

However, after their sojourns in the big clubs, these players return to their countries’ domestic leagues before retirement. Examples of such abound in recent times.

Argentine striker Carlos Tevez, in January 2018, returned to his childhood club Boca Juniors for the third time after many years in Europe and China. The 34-year-old has scored six goals in 20 appearances for the club.

Brazilian midfielder Ronaldinho also returned to play in the Brazilian league with Flamengo, Atletico Mineiro and Fluminese, where he was until 2015. Ronaldo de Lima of Brazil also bid time with Corinthians in the Brazilian domestic league from 2009 to 2011 before his retirement from the game.

Here are some of the former Nigerian players based abroad who have returned to the Nigeria Professional Football League in recent times.

Uche Nwofor

After returning to join Enugu Rangers in April 2018, striker Nwofor, who played for the Super Eagles at the 2014 World Cup, left to join Algerian side JS Kabylie. He played a few matches for the Enugu side in the Nigeria Professional Football League last season but failed to find the back of the net. He however scored in the Enugu FA Cup final, which Rangers lost 2-1 to amateur side Crime Busters. He joined VVV Venlo in the Dutch Eredivisie in 2011 where he appeared 57 times and scored 13 goals. The 27-year-old left there in 2014 after a loan stint in SC Heerenveen for Lierse, Boavista and AS Trencin.

Felix Ogbuke

Ogbuke, who had played in Cyprus, Poland and Oman, returned to the country in 2017 after he was released by Vietnamese club QNK Quang Nam. He was signed by Rangers in January 2018 and has been a part of the Flying Antelopes’ Confederation Cup campaign.

Juwon Oshaniwa

Oshaniwa (middle) duirng his unveiling at Akwa United
Former Super Eagles left back Oshaniwa started his career at Kwara United in 2007 and left the country for Ashdod in the Israeli Premier League in 2012. After he was released by Scottish club in June 2017, Oshaniwa, who represented Nigeria at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, could not find a new club in Europe, compelling him to return to Nigeria. The 28-year-old began training with Akwa United in November 2018 and the 2017 Aiteo Cup champions signed him for a season in November. He was among the players unveiled by the club on Friday alongside Emeka Atuloma and Brazilian Alberico Da Silva. Before leaving the country, he had also played for Lobi Stars and the defunct Sharks of Port Harcourt.

Emmanuel Daniel

Rio 2016 bronze medallist Daniel returned to Nigeria after an unsuccessful stint at Orlando Pirates in the South African Premier Soccer League, which he joined after the Olympics. The goalkeeper, who featured in Nigeria’s entire match at the Rio 2016 Olympics, joined Gombe United, who are seeking a return to the NPFL through the Nigeria National League Super 8 Play-offs during the week. The 25-year-old played for Rangers before his departure for South Africa.

Michael Uchebo

After a torrid time at Portuguese side Boavista, which he left in 2017, Uchebo resurfaced in the country in November 2017 and was snapped up by Rangers, where he started his career in 2008. The 28-year-old, who played a match at the Brazil 2014 World Cup, featured for Rangers in the Nigerian Super Cup against Lobi Stars at the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Asaba, in November. Rangers are reportedly working on registering the former Cercle Brugge forward for the group stages of the Confederation Cup.

Hillary Ikenna

Ikenna is currently playing for former NPFL champions Kano Pillars after returning to the country in 2018. The 27-year-old midfielder started his career at Lobi Stars in 2012 before leaving for Portugal in 2014, where he played for Camacha. The Super Eagles fringe player also had stints in Malta and Slovakia before returning to the NPFL to play for IfeanyiUbah in 2017. His deal with Ethiopian side Wolayta Dicha ended in 2018 before he joined Pillars in April. He was a part of the team that lost to Rangers 4-3 on penalties in the 2018 Aiteo Cup final in Asaba.

Ugonna Uzochukwu

Uzochukwu’s exploits have taken him to South Africa and Morocco, where he played for Chippa United in 2013 and Olympique De Khouribga in 2016. The 26-year-old midfielder returned to Rangers, where he started his career, in 2018 – along with Nwofor. He is currently a part of the club’s Confederation Cup team. He assisted one of the goals scored by Bright Silas in their 2-0 first round second leg win over USM Bel Abbes of Algeria at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium.

Peter Suswam

Suswam (left) signing for Plateau United
After stints at Victoria Setubal in Portugal, Kukesi in Albania and Stal Rzeszow in Poland, right-back Suswam returned to the NPFL in 2017, where he teamed up with Enyimba. Later in 2017, he joined Plateau United, where he has remained. The former junior international is on a two-year contract with the Jos club. Before leaving Nigeria in 2009, the 27-year-old played for Wikki Tourists and Lobi Stars.

Bassey Akpan

Former Golden Eaglets goalkeeper Akpan returned to Nigeria in 2015 after a three-year stint with Vietnamese side Hoang Anh Gia Lai. He has since been with Abia Warriors, where he featured in three matches in the NPFL last season. The 34-year-old played for Shooting Stars, Bayelsa United, Sunshine Stars, Kwara United and Heartland before leaving for Vietnam.

Reasons for return

These players see their return as opportunities to re-launch their careers before turning their attention to the outside world for lucrative deals.

“It was never a tough decision for me to return home and reshape my game before another stint abroad. I am still at the top of my game and you could see me with the way I played. I am ready to go when I am needed. I don’t just want to stay idle before going overseas again and I am doing this to keep active,” Oshaniwa recalled in an interview with SUNDAY PUNCH.

“I joined Akwa United because they are a top side playing good football and they also have good facilities that can help me improve and prepare for the next transfer window in Europe. I have come to join Akwa United to help the team. I will be willing to contribute my quota whenever I am called upon. I hope to keep doing well to beef up the team.”

Uchebo believes returning home will help to put his footballing career back on track.

He stated, “I am happy about the Rangers move because it has afforded me the opportunity to return back home and help put my career back on track. It has been a tortuous (last) two years or thereabouts for me but I am grateful to God that I am still alive.

“It wasn’t the best of a period at Boavista despite the good start I had with them. The coaches refused to field me for a long time and I was not paid my wages. It was frustrating. I am happy that I have been given a lifeline in Rangers and I hope to grab it with both hands.”

Why do clubs sign them?

Akwa United chairman Paul Bassey said clubs signed returning players to add their qualities to their team.

The veteran sports journalist said, “I wouldn’t call them returning players because most of them are in the country to keep fit while trying to secure new deals abroad. While in the country, they need to keep fit and remain relevant; so, they look for clubs in the domestic league to join.

“Clubs go for such players and offer them a season-long contract because they believe the players will add value to the team. While doing that, they make a lot of sacrifice – reduction in expenses and so on.

“For instance, in Juwon’s case, Akwa discovered that he could add value to the team and he is still in good form. So, we talked to his intermediary and got a season-long deal with him. It affords him the opportunity to remain fit and also keep looking for a team abroad. But at the end of the season, he may have fallen in love with Akwa’s environment and want to extend the contract for another season or more.”

He said the players’ presence in the league attracted fans to the stadiums.

“Their presence adds value to the NPFL because fans want to watch the big names playing for their teams. The unveiling we did today attracted a large crowd because fans learnt that we have Juwon and some other good players from outside the country in the team. It may have not been so if we were just unveiling a couple of young players, who are relatively unknown,” said the Akwa United boss.

“It happens everywhere in the world. Big name players attract the fans and thus add value to the league and the economy of the clubs.”

Difference between playing in Europe and the NPFL

Playing on the artificial surfaces in the domestic league makes it tough for these players to adapt to the NPFL, says Pillars’ Ikenna.

Ikenna said, “The major challenge and difference we usually have when returning to play in Nigeria is the turf. We are mostly used to playing on natural grasses outside the country but most pitches here in the country are artificial and that makes it difficult to adjust.

“Most of us return to the country to wait for new opportunities in Europe or anywhere else, where the deal will be better than what we have here. The deal we sign here is mostly not long-term so that we can leave immediately any opportunity comes knocking.

“We make a lot of sacrifices because a player who is used to earning much in dollars has to adjust to the irregular and small amount of money coming in from the clubs in the Nigerian league. But I believe that it is always good for players to return to play in the country when they are out of contract rather than wasting their time in Europe waiting for new opportunities.”

(1) (Reply)

Anxiety As Ronaldo ‘returns To Italy Today’ / A Well Furnished And Booming Bet9ja Shop Available For Sale / Top 5 Footballers That Played For More Than One Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.