Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,919 members, 7,824,860 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) (668 Views)

Reno Omokri Shades Slay Queens Using Late Maryam Babangida's Photos / Slay Queens Take To The Streets Of Port-Harcourt To Campaign For Wike. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by superlightning: 6:54pm On Apr 24, 2020
There are Igbo women who inspire me, and believe me, it has nothing to do with Physical looks that young ladies today often point to. In no particular order they are as follows -

1. Flora Nwapa: First Female Bestselling Writer in Africa. Her book "Efuru" is widely regarded as an achievement for women in literature. Her memory was honoured by Google doodle last year. Other great female writers like Buchi Emecheta, Chimamanda Adichie, Chika Unigwe, Tricia Nwaubani, etc have all been inspired in one way or the other by this legendary slay mama. Imo state should name an institution after this woman to immortalize. Mumu Rochas didn't even build a monument or statue after this icon.

2. Dora Akunyili: First female DG of NAFDAC. She was regarded as the most effective public servant of the 2000s in Nigeria due to her successful crusade against substandard food and drug products. During her tenure, NAFDAC became recognized by the International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA and World Health Organization WHO as a leading research institute in West Africa. Neighbouring countries like Ghana had to bring their products for testing. Dora is till today the most decorated public servant in Nigeria. She was a proud daughter of Anambra.

3. Capt. Chinyere Onyenucheya: The First Female pilot and woman to fly an aircraft in Nigeria. This ushered her into a club of very few female pilots Africa could boast of.This woman inspired a whole new generation of Nigerian women that what a man can do, a woman can do better. She was the Director of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority until her retirement in 2014. She is from Ukwa East in Abia State.

4. Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: She is Nigeria's First Female Minister of Finance and her efforts in that office helped in the cancellation of Nigeria's foreign debts by the Paris Club. The Harvard and MIT trained Economist was the former Managing Director of World Bank and a favorite for the coveted position of the President of World Bank. Currently she is the Chair of G.A.V.I., Economic Advisor to the South African Government and one of the board directors of Twitter Inc. She is from Ogwashi-Ukwu in Delta State.

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by surgical: 7:24pm On Apr 24, 2020
Sharon ikeazor
Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by Staro: 7:49pm On Apr 24, 2020

Chimamanda Adichie

Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by Deepfeel(m): 7:52pm On Apr 24, 2020
Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by Adiola(f): 7:57pm On Apr 24, 2020
Ada igbo I am of one them still alive and strong

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by kettykings: 8:28pm On Apr 24, 2020
This Duo Chimamanda Adichie and Ngozi Okonjo Iweala are the shining lights of igbo land , they are among the most influential women in the world , the most influential African ladies . The have more than influenced the world than any of Buhari's cabinet member can do through out their life time

2 Likes

Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by IDENNAA(m): 8:41pm On Apr 24, 2020
superlightning:
There are Igbo women who inspire me, and believe me, it has nothing to do with Physical looks that young ladies today often point to. In no particular order they are as follows -

1. Flora Nwapa: First Female Bestselling Writer in Africa. Her book "Efuru" is widely regarded as an achievement for women in literature. Her memory was honoured by Google doodle last year. Other great female writers like Buchi Emecheta, Chimamanda Adichie, Chika Unigwe, Tricia Nwaubani, etc have all been inspired in one way or the other by this legendary slay mama. Imo state should name an institution after this woman to immortalize. Mumu Rochas didn't even build a monument or statue after this icon.

2. Dora Akunyili: First female DG of NAFDAC. She was regarded as the most effective public servant of the 2000s in Nigeria due to her successful crusade against substandard food and drug products. During her tenure, NAFDAC became recognized by the International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA and World Health Organization WHO as a leading research institute in West Africa. Neighbouring countries like Ghana had to bring their products for testing. Dora is till today the most decorated public servant in Nigeria. She was a proud daughter of Anambra.

3. Capt. Chinyere Onyenucheya: The First Female pilot and woman to fly an aircraft in Nigeria. This ushered her into a club of very few female pilots Africa could boast of.This woman inspired a whole new generation of Nigerian women that what a man can do, a woman can do better. She was the Director of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority until her retirement in 2014. She is from Ukwa East in Abia State.

4. Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: She is Nigeria's First Female Minister of Finance and her efforts in that office helped in the cancellation of Nigeria's foreign debts by the Paris Club. The Harvard and MIT trained Economist was the former Managing Director of World Bank and a favorite for the coveted position of the President of World Bank. Currently she is the Chair of G.A.V.I., Economic Advisor to the South African Government and one of the board directors of Twitter Inc. She is from Ogwashi-Ukwu in Delta State.

What did Flora Nwapa and Onyenaucheya achieved that can be comparable to Chimamanda, Ezekwesili ?

Akunyili.."it is a privilege to be born an onye Anambra "

Adichie.."Anambra dialect is the most elegant Igbo dialect "

Nwapa didn't even win clay pot neither did Onyenaucheya win bamboo stick

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by IDENNAA(m): 8:41pm On Apr 24, 2020
surgical:
Sharon ikeazor

She is politifian, nothing more

1 Like

Re: My Igbo Slay Queens (part 1) by superlightning: 8:48am On Apr 25, 2020
IDENNAA:

What did Flora Nwapa and Onyenaucheya achieved that can be comparable to Chimamanda, Ezekwesili ?

Akunyili.."it is a privilege to be born an onye Anambra "

Adichie.."Anambra dialect is the most elegant Igbo dialect "

Nwapa didn't even win clay pot neither did Onyenaucheya win bamboo stick

quit being divisive. I suspect you are not even Igbo and you are not well informed too. Because if you were, you would know that all the women mentioned here were trailblazers.

Ezekwesili is good, so is Arunma Oteh, they were both public servants and former World Bank senior staffs.

(1) (Reply)

Real Facts About South East ( Igbos And Igbo Land) / Man Beaten Up By Thug After Saying This About Buhari / IPOB Deflecting Attention From Nnamdi Kanu’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.