Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,057 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber (1130 Views)

Please advise Me On What To Do, I'm Having Difficulties Correcting Name On Bvn / Student Replies ASUU On What He Has Learnt During The Long Holiday / 'ASUU On Strike' Warning At University Of Benin Main Gate (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 7:46pm On Apr 24, 2020
Like millions of Nigerians, I have been a keen follower of the FG and ASUU saga. Strangely it's been difficult to tell who the actor and boss (Naija diction) is.

Interestingly, the FG has assured the ever striking ASUU of their March and April salaries and this time they gave the simplest of conditions. "Provide your BVN". Most shocking to us the viewers of this movie; ASUU who has been sounding broke, refused the FG's offer.

Now my question to ASUU: What's the big deal in providing a simple Bank Verification Number to get your salary. Or are you programmed to say 'no' to ever request tagged Federal Government? Or are you hiding something?

Now my question to FG: Why do you need the BVN from ASUU, what do we have banks for, a simple request to all VC to give you names and bank account of their staff and a simple request to CBN to trace those account numbers to the BVN would solve this problem. We all gave our data to the banks during BVN registration, so the bank has our data. You shouldn't be asking ASUU for it. Give me an excel sheet, contacts to all banks and VCs in Nigeria and I will spool out all the BVNs you need to pay the damn salary. ASUU might think FG is asking for Birth Virus Number.

Assumption: Both ASUU and the guys calling shot at FG are too old to survive in a potentially digital driven economy so they use ignoramus as an excuses to mess the education system in Nigeria up.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by majamajic(m): 7:56pm On Apr 24, 2020
FG don't have the right to walk into someone's BVN without permission, I think

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by malikombi(m): 8:35pm On Apr 24, 2020
Your employer has no right to request for your BVN before salaries are been paid and its a bigger crime to use link or connection to get it behind one's back. The logic here is that FG needs the BVN to forcefully migrate ASUU to IPPIS through the backdoor. That's the most significant information needed.

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by suremanpatriot: 2:17am On Apr 25, 2020
So yu can use bvn for ASUU ,but yu evil fed govt refuse to credit us with bvn the palliative cash for your evil lockdown.Awon olishii undecided
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 7:16am On Apr 25, 2020
suremanpatriot:
So yu can use bvn for ASUU ,but yu evil fed govt refuse to credit us with bvn the palliative cash for your evil lockdown.Awon olishii undecided
they want to start/test-run the BVN palliative with ASUU grin
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 7:21am On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:
Like millions of Nigerians, I have been a keen follower of the FG and ASUU saga. Strangely it's been difficult to tell who the actor and boss (Naija diction) is.

Interestingly, the FG has assured the ever striking ASUU of their March and April salaries and this time they gave the simplest of conditions. "Provide your BVN". Most shocking to us the viewers of this movie; ASUU who has been sounding broke, refused the FG's offer.

Now my question to ASUU: What's the big deal in providing a simple Bank Verification Number to get your salary. Or are you programmed to say 'no' to ever request tagged Federal Government? Or are you hiding something?

Now my question to FG: Why do you need the BVN from ASUU, what do we have banks for, a simple request to all VC to give you names and bank account of their staff and a simple request to CBN to trace those account numbers to the BVN would solve this problem. We all gave our data to the banks during BVN registration, so the bank has our data. You shouldn't be asking ASUU for it. Give me an excel sheet, contacts to all banks and VCs in Nigeria and I will spool out all the BVNs you need to pay the damn salary. ASUU might think FG is asking for Birth Virus Number.

Assumption: Both ASUU and the guys calling shot at FG are too old to survive in a potentially digital driven economy so they use ignoramus as an excuses to mess the education system in Nigeria up.
Bros, you can never trust Nigerian government o. For your information, some newly employed academic staff who were employed just before the strike and who, innocently, submitted their BVN as part of their documentations are now being paid on IPPIS(they never registered on IPPIS)! And this is one of the reasons that ASUU is saying never to the release of BVN.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by Akunwafor(m): 8:34am On Apr 25, 2020
It has been explained on another thread here.

The FG claims they want to curb receving salaries from multiple jobs/working multiple jobs.

But the thing is most lecturers teach in more than one institution. It is standard practice as there are not enough qualified staff to man positions in all the universities that government has been building.

Even abroad, there are visiting lecturers and stuff like that in different universities.

Finally, when one government comes and makes a deal with ASUU, the next government will come thinking the previous deal was trash but in actual sense these lecturers are being owed months of payment just from filling in from multiple jobs for years.

My supervisor back then used to shuttle between unilag and lasu, so if the government decides that lecturers should not receive multiple salaries and the man decides he will stick to teaching in unilag, then lasu becomes understaffed and it doesn't seem government is willing to provide more jobs by employing more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 8:56am On Apr 25, 2020
sinkhole:
Bros, you can never trust Nigerian government o. For your information, some newly employed academic staff who were employed just before the strike and who, innocently, submitted their BVN as part of their documentations are now being paid on IPPIS(they never registered on IPPIS)! And this is one of the reasons that ASUU is saying never to the release of BVN.

I see your point but there are ways to resolve this kind of issues. A legal agreement signed by both parties, FG makes the IPPIS transparent to avoid any sort of silly deduction, hidden charges and ASUU tries if for a few month to see how it works, with an opt out clause if the system fails; It is important that ghost workers in the system should be checked. Part of the agreement should be that within 3months of the trial phase IPPIS should be adopted by all FG ministry and sectors, if not ASUU has the right to opt-out.

Even Brexit is not this confusing, as Nigerians we use silly and personal intentions to go into negotiations. Do you have any idea how many lecturers are hungry during this pandemic times. In facts, think of a household where the family's bread winner is a lecturer or both the father and mother are lecturers under the umbrella of ASUU.

I know most citizens think we are cursed to be part of this country, but the honest truth is that our leaders will be caused for always making life difficult for citizens. Every aspect of a Nigerian comes with making tough decisions to survive because our silly leaders play cheap politics with everything that concerns us.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by edoairways: 9:08am On Apr 25, 2020
malikombi:
Your employer has no right to request for your BVN before salaries are been paid and its a bigger crime to use link or connection to get it behind one's back. The logic here is that FG needs the BVN to forcefully migrate ASUU to IPPIS through the backdoor. That's the most significant information needed.
Absolutely

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by edoairways: 9:09am On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

I see your point but there are ways to resolve this kind of issues. A legal agreement signed by both parties, FG makes the IPPIS transparent to avoid any sort of silly deduction, hidden charges and ASUU tries if for a few month to see how it works, with an opt out clause if the system fails; It is important that ghost workers in the system should be checked. Part of the agreement should be that within 3months of the trial phase IPPIS should be adopted by all FG ministry and sectors, if not ASUU has the right to opt-out.

Even Brexit is not this confusing, as Nigerians we use silly and personal intentions to go into negotiations. Do you have any idea how many lecturers are hungry during this pandemic times. In facts, think of a household where the family's bread winner is a lecturer or both the father and mother are lecturers under the umbrella of ASUU.

I know most citizens think we are cursed to be part of this country, but the honest truth is that our leaders will be caused for always making life difficult for citizens. Every aspect of a Nigerian comes with making tough decisions to survive because our silly leaders play cheap politics with everything that concerns us.
If your president can not honour court judgment, is it signed agreement he would?

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 9:20am On Apr 25, 2020
edoairways:

If your president can not honour court judgment, is it signed agreement he would?

Perhaps you don't get me, ASUU still has an opt-out clause if the IPPIS system fails. But for now the point is millions of families depend on these salaries to survive during the pandemic.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by edoairways: 9:23am On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

Perhaps you don't get me, ASUU still has an opt-out clause if the IPPIS system fails. But for now the point is millions of families depend on these salaries to survive during the pandemic.

Stories, this government can not be trusted. It might take years to rectify such should anything goes wrong
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 9:31am On Apr 25, 2020
edoairways:

Stories, this government can not be trusted. It might take years to rectify such should anything goes wrong

An opt-out clause has very little to do with the Government, it means ASUU can pull out of the deal, if it fails. So ASUU has the option of going back on strike if it fails, whether FG likes it or not. That way FG ensures, the clause doesn't fail.

Guys! If my idea no good, Una fit come up with ideas too, the importance is teaching these men in the system how to resolve issues instead of allowing it linger and used for political attacks.

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by edoairways: 9:33am On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

An opt-out clause has very little to do with the Government, it means ASUU can pull out of the deal, if it fails. So ASUU has the option of going back on strike if it fails, whether FG likes it or not. That way FG ensures, the clause doesn't fail.

Guys! If my idea no good, Una fit come up with ideas too, the importance is teaching these men in the system how to resolve issues instead of allowing it linger and used for political attacks.
The government knows what to do but are too stubborn.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 11:53am On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

Nigerian government is never transparent in anything and ASUU does not want to fall into one chance arrangement (my guess).
If ASUU decide to opt-in for a trial and signed that if not pleased they will opt-out. The question now will be, who will opt them out? Of course, government will have to do that, but will government do that? The answer to this is clearly, NO. The result then will be STRIKE! So, ASUU thinks, instead of striking latter why not just strike now and resolve the problem once and for all.
Clearly, there is corruption in University system and ASUU itself is aware of this but IPPIS can never solve the corruption problem in the University system, government need to stand up and hold people responsible for their actions.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 12:03pm On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

I did not even see this your comment before I responded to the one you quoted me.
The bottom line is that Nigerian government is absolutely untrustworthy, even this COVID-19 issue: do you really know what is happening with our President? Why is he not talking to us, once in a week? Why is he not up and doing like the various governors? Why is he always hiding under the "Presidency" and never issue a statement as a President?

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 12:17pm On Apr 25, 2020
sinkhole:
Nigerian government is never transparent in anything and ASUU does not want to fall into one chance arrangement (my guess).
If ASUU decide to opt-in for a trial and signed that if not pleased they will opt-out. The question now will be, who will opt them out? Of course, government will have to do that, but will government do that? The answer to this is clearly, NO. The result then will be STRIKE! So, ASUU thinks, instead of striking latter why not just strike now and resolve the problem once and for all.
Clearly, there is corruption in University system and ASUU itself is aware of this but IPPIS can never solve the corruption problem in the University system, government need to stand up and hold people responsible for their actions.

Great point. But now I am more confused, you think going on strike during a pandemic is great timing?

No Sir, it is not; because the FG can use the pandemic as an excuse to delay payment.

Take what they are offering now, until the pandemic stops then go back to the negotiations table.

I only feel sorry for the millions of folks that have to starve because both parties have refused to find a simple middle ground.

I have a simple framework that can help both parties address the problem. It's called trial and transparency.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 25, 2020
Akunwafor:
It has been explained on another thread here.

The FG claims they want to curb receving salaries from multiple jobs/working multiple jobs.

But the thing is most lecturers teach in more than one institution. It is standard practice as there are not enough qualified staff to man positions in all the universities that government has been building.

Even abroad, there are visiting lecturers and stuff like that in different universities.

Finally, when one government comes and makes a deal with ASUU, the next government will come thinking the previous deal was trash but in actual sense these lecturers are being owed months of payment just from filling in from multiple jobs for years.

My supervisor back then used to shuttle between unilag and lasu, so if the government decides that lecturers should not receive multiple salaries and the man decides he will stick to teaching in unilag, then lasu becomes understaffed and it doesn't seem government is willing to provide more jobs by employing more.
Taking two to three jobs means the vacancy openings of many MSc and PhD slots are shut.
These creates unemployment and very poor quality of graduates.

If a lecturer sticks to one job, they will have sufficient time to teach instead of the normal practice of skipping classes till the the last day where they give you photocopies.

Also, there will be employment of top PhD and MSc holders

2 Likes

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by Akunwafor(m): 12:40pm On Apr 25, 2020
hosey:

Taking two to three jobs means the vacancy openings of many MSc and PhD slots are shut.

If a lecturer sticks to one job, they will have sufficient time to teach instead of the normal practice of skipping classes till the the last day where they give you photocopies.

The question is, is government employing enough?

1 Like

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 1:32pm On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

Great point. But now I am more confused, you think going on strike during a pandemic is great timing?

No Sir, it is not; because the FG can use the pandemic as an excuse to delay payment.

Take what they are offering now, until the pandemic stops then go back to the negotiations table.

I only feel sorry for the millions of folks that have to starve because both parties have refused to find a simple middle ground.

I have a simple framework that can help both parties address the problem. It's called trial and transparency.
ASUU embarked on the strike just before the escalation of the pandemic!
Your solution is trial and transparency, right?
Unfortunately, government is not ready for transparency and ASUU does not want trial and error that will permamently put them on IPPIS!
In Ghana, if some of the news we have been hearing is true, it was reported that the academics there initially agreed to enroll but after enrollment they discovered it will not help and now the academics in Ghana are no longer on IPPS! That is a country where government is transparent.
If pandemic is over and normal life resumes, do you think ASUU will be the only one on strike in our Universities? Others who have been enrolled are already crying every month, since enrollment!
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 1:43pm On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

it is cheaper for FG and our Universities to make use of Visiting and Sabbatical than to employ full time staff! I know this surprises you.
Reason: if you're on visiting you can never be given full salary where you are visiting: I am not very sure but I think it's like 50% or something like that.
Sabbatical is like once in five years for Senior Lecturers upward, most Universities prefer to have Professors on both Sabbatical and Visiting.
No University will accept you for visiting if you are below Senior Lecturer.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 2:48pm On Apr 25, 2020
hosey:

God bless you, I was wondering if that guy understood the high rate of unemployment in Nigeria. Who told him quality lecturers are scarce?

There are lots of qualified and smart guys out there who can augment.

One man doing 3 jobs when over 30million Nigerians are jobless.

Common guys let us be reasonable about this quest.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 2:50pm On Apr 25, 2020
sinkhole:
it is cheaper for FG and our Universities to make use of Visiting and Sabbatical than to employ full time staff! I know this surprises you.
Reason: if you're on visiting you can never be given full salary where you are visiting: I am not very sure but I think it's like 50% or something like that.
Sabbatical is like once in five years for Senior Lecturers upward, most Universities prefer to have Professors on both Sabbatical and Visiting.
No University will accept you for visiting if you are below Senior Lecturer.

How does this fix the IPPIS saga?
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 3:51pm On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

How does this fix the IPPIS saga?
I ACTUALLY QUOTED YOU IN ERROR embarassed I just realised now!

NO, that does not fix IPPIS issue. I am just trying to explain the concept of Visiting and Sabbatical, as it seems to be misunderstood!
I am in possession of some documents sent by AGF office, through NUC to the University VCs, I will soon upload it here!
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 3:54pm On Apr 25, 2020
sinkhole:

I ACTUALLY QUOTED YOU IN ERROR embarassed I just realised now!

NO, that does not fix IPPIS issue. I am just trying to explain the concept of Visiting and Sabbatical, as it seems to be misunderstood!
I am in possession of some documents sent by AGF office, through NUC to the University VCs, I will soon upload it here!

Please do it would help in enlightening us all.
Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 4:03pm On Apr 25, 2020
unclebuddy:

Please do it would help in enlightening us all.
I will upload in bits and pieces and I will appreciate if anybody could stitch the images together and present as a single document

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 4:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
No. 2

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 4:09pm On Apr 25, 2020
No. 3

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 4:12pm On Apr 25, 2020
The following is from the AGF, IPPIS office to NUC!

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 4:15pm On Apr 25, 2020
AGF No. 2

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by sinkhole: 4:18pm On Apr 25, 2020
Finally, AGF No. 3

Re: Fg Vs ASUU On Bvn- A Simple Case Of Dumb Vs Dumber by unclebuddy(m): 4:21pm On Apr 25, 2020
sinkhole:
ASUU embarked on the strike just before the escalation of the pandemic!
Your solution is trial and transparency, right?
Unfortunately, government is not ready for transparency and ASUU does not want trial and error that will permamently put them on IPPIS!
In Ghana, if some of the news we have been hearing is true, it was reported that the academics there initially agreed to enroll but after enrollment they discovered it will not help and now the academics in Ghana are no longer on IPPS! That is a country where government is transparent.
If pandemic is over and normal life resumes, do you think ASUU will be the only one on strike in our Universities? Others who have been enrolled are already crying every month, since enrollment!

Thanks for your contribution, pretty insightful. God help this great country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Medical Science / Lecturer Vexes Fires Shots At Medical Students / No Time For Gazelle Garagara In Northern Nigeria- Datti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.