Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,015 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela (1818 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Prison Break In Imo State This Morning : / Tinubu Almost Fell Down At Kaduna Event (Pictures, Video) / Miracle Chinonso Nwaobodo The Prison Warder Killed By Ipob Unknown Gunmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Montracine: 1:38pm On Apr 25, 2020
In 2013, Nelson Mandela described Chinua Achebe as the writer who brought the prison walls down.
He said: "There was a writer named Chinua Achebe, who in the company of his books, I felt the prison walls at Robben Island fell down."

Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe, the revered “father of modern African literature’, has died aged 82, his family said on Friday.
Best known internationally for his novel “Things Fall Apart”, which depicts the collision between British rule and traditional Igbo culture in his native southeast Nigeria, Achebe was also a strong critic of graft and misrule in his country.
“One of the great literary voices of his time, he was also a beloved husband, father, uncle and grandfather, whose wisdom and courage are an inspiration to all who knew him,” his family said in a statement.
Local media reported that he died in a hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
He had lived and worked as a professor in the United States in recent years, most recently at Brown University in Rhode Island. A 1990 car accident left him in a wheelchair and limited his travel.
A statement from the Mandela Foundation in South Africa said he passed away Thursday and quoted Nelson Mandela as referring to him as a writer “in whose company the prison walls fell down.”
“The world has lost one of its finest writers and Africa has lost a literary gem,” said Mike Udah, spokesman for Nigeria’s Anambra state, where Achebe was born.
Apart from criticising misrule in Nigeria, Achebe also strongly backed his native Biafra, which declared independence from the republic in 1967, sparking a civil war that killed around one million people and only ended in 1970.
The conflict was the subject of a long-awaited memoir he published last year, titled “There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra.”
In 2011, Achebe rejected a Nigerian government offer to honour him with one of the nation’s highest awards — at least the second time he had done so.

South African writer and Nobel laureate Nadine Gordimer called Achebe the “father of modern African literature” in 2007, when she was among the judges to award him the Man Booker International prize for fiction.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/achebe-writer-in-whose-company-the-prison-walls-fell-down-mandela/

3 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Hhansome(m): 1:45pm On Apr 25, 2020
One day! And just one day, my name shall be included and in turn be written on the sands of time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by abobote: 2:28pm On Apr 25, 2020
Greatest recognises greatest

5 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 25, 2020
abobote:
You put it in so much eloquent English that I can even master...

4 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by kemmylove101: 2:49pm On Apr 25, 2020
Even though am yoruba. I respect this man intelligence. I was surprise when i saw things fall apart in a small european city library. i was amazed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 25, 2020
kemmylove101:
Even though am yoruba. I respect this man intelligence. I was surprise when i saw things fall apart in a small european city library. i was amazed.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Sylraph1: 3:11pm On Apr 25, 2020
GREATNESS RECOGNISE GREATNESS
RIP LEGENDS

5 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by ican2020: 3:19pm On Apr 25, 2020
I love reading his books.

Achebe was a great writer

5 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by gidgiddy: 3:29pm On Apr 25, 2020
Two great Africans, Mandela and Achebe. I feel blessed to have met both men at different times in Enugu.

8 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 3:35pm On Apr 25, 2020
gidgiddy:
Two great Africans, Mandela and Achebe. I feel blessed to have met both men at different times in Enugu.

First reasonable comment so far on nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Sctests: 3:40pm On Apr 25, 2020
Achebe's literary prowess takes you on a mental journal when grab his book. You would feel like you were there read you read stories.

Chimamanda learnt a lot from him.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2020
kemmylove101:

So do I respect Soyinka very well.
Make we join hand respect each other make peace dey......
No more Igbo/Yoruba war....abeggg...
Me don tire......

3 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Asuito7(m): 9:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
My Number one African, Nigerian and black writer.
I have never come across any writer as intelligent as Achebe in Nigeria.

When you read any of his books, your brain is not just tickle, you also feel it, you go on an adventure and you also learn wisdom.

I just come across this today on NwaAmaikpe twitter handle:
' When lions don't have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always favor the hunter'....... Chinua Achebe.

Now I am looking for the book with those wordings.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 25, 2020
Xavfra:

So do I respect Soyinka very well. ... Make we join hand respect each other make peace dey...... No more Igbo/Yoruba war....abeggg... Me don tire......

Go and have seat... Soyinka is a trash.

Chinua Achebe is true to his pen while Soyinka is more of politics.

Read the post and you won't see any atom of politics in it.

1 Like

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 25, 2020
Asuito7:

When you read any of his books, your brain is not just tickle, you also feel it, you go on an adventure and you also learn wisdom.

' When lions don't have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always favor the hunter'....... Chinua Achebe.

The quote was when he was writing against the white and their mis information about Africa.

1 Like

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by PharoahIII: 9:16pm On Apr 25, 2020
[/color]
Asuito7:

[color=#006600]

it is actually an igbo proverb lol

1 Like

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Asuito7(m): 9:21pm On Apr 25, 2020
PharoahIII:
[/color]

[color=#006600]

it is actually an igbo proverb lol
if so, then he and his people are wise because if the proverb was to be expantiate on, it will really have deep meanings.

1 Like

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 25, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Go and have seat... Soyinka is a trash.

Chinua Achebe is true to his pen while Soyinka is more of politics.

Read the post and you won't see any atom of politics in it.

Even if an egg is spoilt, it can be used manure
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Trailblazer1(m): 9:25pm On Apr 25, 2020
I sorely missed Achebe's Ahiajoku lectures

What a sage !

3 Likes

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 25, 2020
Xavfra:

Even if an egg is spoilt, it can be used manure
Which egg spoil?
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 25, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Which egg spoil?

It's a proverb ...

Translate it to it's rightful meaning
.. everything isn't meant to be said plainly

1 Like

Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nuells: 9:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
Asuito7:

Please what's NwaAmaikpe's Twitter handle biko.....since the mods enviously don't want him here to tell the raw truth to their faces
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by PharoahIII: 9:58pm On Apr 25, 2020
[/color]
Asuito7:
if so, then he and his people are wise because if the proverb was to be expantiate on, it will really have deep meanings.
[color=#006600]

Achebe was certainly a wise man, our fathers were wise people. Christianity and civilisation have made a parody of our wisdom as a people.
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Asuito7(m): 10:01pm On Apr 25, 2020
Nuells:

Please what's NwaAmaikpe's Twitter handle biko.....since the mods enviously don't want him here to tell the raw truth to their faces
go to his moniker and click on his name(NwaAmaikpe highlighted in blue) and it will take you straight to his page
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by EastCANNIBAL: 10:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
abobote:

which great?the only great in that picture is NELSON MANDELA,hope you dont refer that BITTER-LOOKING IGBO TOAD as great.
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Myrainbow333: 10:12pm On Apr 25, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjSeXzX4ZkY

This very funny video will make you laugh out loud. See how this guy is looking for where to pick Ten million naira from
*Don't forget to LIKE,SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE FEEL FREE TO DROP YOUR COMMENTS*��
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by abobote: 11:39pm On Apr 25, 2020
EastCANNIBAL:

which great?the only great in that picture is NELSON MANDELA,hope you dont refer that BITTER-LOOKING IGBO TOAD as great.
Lol, I didn't even look at the pics. my comment was based on the heading. pls shun tribalism, not healthy at all
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nuells: 12:38am On Apr 26, 2020
Asuito7:
go to his moniker and click on his name(NwaAmaikpe highlighted in blue) and it will take you straight to his page
I can't easily find his moniker here.....thought he's banned
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:42am On Apr 26, 2020
Another talent, never to be forgotten in history!!!

Rest on!!!
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Asuito7(m): 11:29am On Apr 26, 2020
Osagyefo98:

The quote was when he was writing against the white and their mis information about Africa.
thank you for this. I didn't see it earlier.

But what is the name of the book?
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Asuito7(m): 11:31am On Apr 26, 2020
gidgiddy:
Mandela came to Enugu? What year?
Re: Throwback- Achebe: Writer In Whose Company The Prison Walls Fell Down – Mandela by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 26, 2020
PharoahIII:
[/color]
[color=#006600]

Achebe was certainly a wise man, our fathers were wise people. Christianity and civilisation have made a parody of our wisdom as a people.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SARS Protesters Will Narrow Their Focus On Peter Obi And/or David Umahi / Aso Rock Should Prepare For The Next Uprising. / The First Secessionist In The Zoo..[b]the Man Who Saw Tomorrow[/b]!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.