Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria (75549 Views)

NANS Election: Muniru Daniel Momodu Campaigned In All 36 States, But Still Lost / Six Parts Of Your Body You Probably Don't Know Their Names / WAEC 2018 Ranking Of The 36 States & FCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by majamajic(m): 9:39pm On Apr 26, 2020
ceevee2003:
It is Enugu that was created from anambra, not the other way round.

No Anambra was the new state, it retained the old name cos of the river omabra that didn't enter enugu ,
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by NwaIgboBoy(m): 9:45pm On Apr 26, 2020
and finally the FCT was named after all the past and present corrupt leaders in Nigeria. which full meaning is "Full of Corrupt Thief's"... FCT

1 Like

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Holycity(f): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2020
Badestman:

Akwa iboe... Fake Igbo people
Its Akwa Ibom not akwa iboe
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Akazeta(f): 10:10pm On Apr 26, 2020
olamikunle213:
I understand the fact that some of us knows all these but let's try and educate some people that have no idea how these state names were formed. grin grin
Thanks for this.

https://www.nairaland.com/3255550/how-states-nigeria-derived-names
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by sunkieisland(m): 10:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
I'm bookmarking the page. Really educational post. Thanks op
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Pchizy: 11:42pm On Apr 26, 2020
majamajic:

No Anambra was the new state, it retained the old name cos of the river omabra that didn't enter enugu ,

Let me believe that you will listen.

That your Aunty told you doesn't make it wholly correct or that you misunderstood her.

Get this, what we had b4 is called Old Anambra '76.

Enugu state was newly carved out from the old Anambra in 1991.

After excluding other parts, the remaining part in old Anambra still retained the name, Anambra.

Since it is new Anambra with others excluded (ordinarily called Anambra now), it's creation was dated same 91
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Salako01(m): 12:19am On Apr 27, 2020
I saw this on twitter....Hope you referenced your source though. grin
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Chigold101(m): 12:32am On Apr 27, 2020
olamikunle213:
I understand the fact that some of us knows all these but let's try and educate some people that have no idea how these state names were formed. grin grin

your number 2 is false.
There is Adamawa Highland which stretched from Adamawa State in Nigeria to Adamawa Province in Cameroon and ended somewhere in Bamenda, North West Province of Cameroon.
Long before Nigeria created Adamawa State there has been Adamawa Province in Cameroon.
So go back and rectify what you wrote.

Even in Abịa, something is wrong there. Afikpo is in Ebonyi State and not in Abịa State
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Blackpapaya007: 6:03am On Apr 27, 2020
With all these originations what good have we experienced? Do we still practice the one love we're known for in the past? From this educative thread I hope we all can now see that we're also strangers in Nigeria? 95% of us are all settlers
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Badestman: 6:39am On Apr 27, 2020
Holycity:

Its Akwa Ibom not akwa iboe

Everything across River Niger is Igbo to us
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Badestman: 6:41am On Apr 27, 2020
Chigold101:
your number 2 is false.
There is Adamawa Highland which stretched from Adamawa State in Nigeria to Adamawa Province in Cameroon and ended somewhere in Bamenda, North West Province of Cameroon.
Long before Nigeria created Adamawa State there has been Adamawa Province in Cameroon.
So go back and rectify what you wrote.

Even in Abịa, something is wrong there. Afikpo is in Ebonyi State and not in Abịa State

Ewu, Ogbonnaya Onu was the first governor of Abia state,
But his current state of origin is Ebonyi state....Mara ihe
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by majamajic(m): 7:53am On Apr 27, 2020
Pchizy:

That your Aunty told you doesn't make it wholly correct or that you misunderstood her.

After excluding other parts, the remaining part in old Anambra still retained the name, Anambra.

Since it is new Anambra with others excluded (ordinarily called Anambra now), it's creation was dated same 91

U think from your ass bro ? U call enugu a new state and Anambra old ?

U don't know your history and u can't Google it out , am done with u ! Don't mention me again since u can't Google Anambra history, Anambra only retained the name and u can't argue maturely , am not your mate pls

Go to Google and don't mention me again, am arguing the history of my state with u , next year Anambra has already stated planning their 30yrs anniversary , see our 25yrs anniversary in 2017
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/anambra-caps-25th-anniversary-celebration-historic-book/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwi-yeGThYjpAhVi0uAKHc0HDOwQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw34_ny5ug_lrcRW0BxOvhCi&ampcf=1

Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by serverconnect(m): 8:23am On Apr 27, 2020
rummmy:
Its Afikpo...op is correct, arochukwu is part of bende.
I want to know the origin of NAIRA.

Arochukwu is a different part that house Isiochi and...

Afikpo as at then is under Bende. Pls the geography is the fact.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Tycyborg(m): 9:08am On Apr 27, 2020
Edo is part of the Yoruba land. oduduwa sent one of his sons to bring all Edo ethnic group together as his representative after a big fight within those ethnic groups. So after he resolve the conflict he was ask to be king and since then he ruled and that explains why Edo have little Yoruba in their language and they use oba like the Yoruba. Even history said some of Edo Kings were being buried in ife osun state back in those days.
Bottom line is oduduwa son named Edo and the name was akoko Edo which means in deep Yoruba (akoko Ado) "first to land" or "now I have come to stay" or so. And he was the one the who created the empire mimicking the Oyo and Ife which were his brother's kingdom

BluntTheApostle:

You are right. It sounds sort of lazy. The article should have dug deeper to get information on the origin of the "Oyo" name itself.

For instance, we know that modern Israel got her name from the Kingdom of Israel. That is too obvious.

But then, we also know the original source of the name "Israel" -- Jacob was renamed Israel for wrestling with an angel.

The article should have done this concerning the name "Oyo".
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by IbrahimSkiba(f): 9:49am On Apr 27, 2020
mimimile93:
my prostitute of a fiancee was named after a Sultan in 1804
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Raymeskey: 9:58am On Apr 27, 2020
Mescopaul:

Apst Joshua Selman son,.. Lol

Smile

I suspect you to be also
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Perogbangba(f): 10:19am On Apr 27, 2020
Whaooo! so educative and informative. No wonder people who come from the riverine area behave like ogbanje.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by ZeusP(m): 10:21am On Apr 27, 2020
Intellectual
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Perogbangba(f): 10:24am On Apr 27, 2020
Whaooo! Quite informative and educative... .No wonder people who come from riverine areas behave like ogbanje.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Chigold101(m): 2:15pm On Apr 27, 2020
Badestman:

Ewu, Ogbonnaya Onu was the first governor of Abia state,
But his current state of origin is Ebonyi state....Mara ihe
Atụrụ, if Afikpo was included in the naming Abịa, They can't Just live a place where their names is included and Abịa could have gone for a change of name...

Ezi ofia, ịnụ go?
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Mryacks: 2:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
olamikunle213:

Educative...
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by petuniaevents(f): 5:44pm On Apr 27, 2020
Nice read. I Didn't know all these .thanks op
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Badestman: 7:33pm On Apr 27, 2020
Chigold101:

Atụrụ, if Afikpo was included in the naming Abịa, They can't Just live a place where their names is included and Abịa could have gone for a change of name...

Ezi ofia, ịnụ go?

OSU...go and tell that to FG
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by theDEVILisHERE: 7:35pm On Apr 27, 2020
Pchizy:

Current Anambra was part of Enugu state
where do u get ur info from?@#:!??

U forgotten as at 1967 Enugu was the capital of Biafra?
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by mimimile93: 4:39am On Apr 29, 2020
IbrahimSkiba:
I love Mimi so much
Well, I don't love you
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Chigold101(m): 2:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
Badestman:

OSU...go and tell that to FG
Efi ofịa...
You think Osu is a bad thing...

Nọrọ there...

Ima ìfè Ana eme?
Taaaaaaaa... Gbafue gị
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Mescopaul(m): 3:51pm On May 02, 2020
Raymeskey:

Smile
I suspect you to be also
Yea o ��
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Hayzed0601(m): 5:49pm On May 02, 2020
Yh, really educative,but why most States is usually named after a river undecided
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by aswani(m): 9:56am On May 04, 2020
Tycyborg:
Edo is part of the Yoruba land. oduduwa sent one of his sons to bring all Edo ethnic group together as his representative after a big fight within those ethnic groups. So after he resolve the conflict he was ask to be king and since then he ruled and that explains why Edo have little Yoruba in their language and they use oba like the Yoruba. Even history said some of Edo Kings were being buried in ife osun state back in those days.
Bottom line is oduduwa son named Edo and the name was akoko Edo which means in deep Yoruba (akoko Ado) "first to land" or "now I have come to stay" or so. And he was the one the who created the empire mimicking the Oyo and Ife which were his brother's kingdom

Wrong on all counts apart from maybe the fact that some Bini Kings were buried in Ile Ife.

The Bini Royal family have partial Yoruba ancestry.

Bini people themselves are not Yoruba.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Tycyborg(m): 2:18pm On May 05, 2020
If you want the fact ask those binis close to Kings, they will tell you or go to old Ife and ask about the history they will tell you and even show you as prove but if you don't have a prove to back your claims then you are pointless. Ask most binis, they even don't know anything. I did the research myself 2017/18 both online and I went in person. Research sir especially in person.
Initially the early binis are not even a tribe they are like different community until the first ever oba came which is the Yoruba and ever since then the circle of the Yoruba mix went on and on.

aswani:

Wrong on all counts apart from maybe the fact that some Bini Kings were buried in Ile Ife.

The Bini Royal family have partial Yoruba ancestry.

Bini people themselves are not Yoruba.
Re: How The 36 States Got Their Names In Nigeria by Tycyborg(m): 2:19pm On May 05, 2020
Tycyborg:
If you want the fact ask those binis close to Kings, they will tell you or go to old Ife and ask about the history they will tell you and even show you as prove but if you don't have a prove to back your claims then you are pointless. Ask most binis, they even don't know anything. I did the research myself 2017/18 both online and I went in person. Research sir especially in person.
Initially the early binis are not even a tribe they are like different community until the first ever oba came which is the Yoruba and ever since then the circle of the Yoruba mix went on and on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How I Paid Back LAUTECH Lecturer Who Failed Me For 6 Years In The University. / Children's International School Fees In Lagos That Got People Talking (picture) / Ibadan Polytechnic 2012/2013 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.