Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 (425 Views)

How To Negotiate Your Salary For A Promotion: Tips And Tricks / Lady Sacked For Not Sleeping With Her Indian Boss, Nigerians React / What Will You Do If You Are Sacked Or Fired? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:35am On Apr 26, 2020
Hi guys, in this thread, I am going to discuss how to gain a promotion while others get sacked post COVID-19.

This is an essential thread if you want to repair the damage of COVID-19 and retain your job!

We got families to care for, we can't let them down now, let's share thoughts now.

So the corona virus has ravaged businesses and most people are in disarray. Top managements are at wit's end on how to sustain profitability and minimize cost. Laying off staff is a hard decision, but one they must consider to keep cost down.

Would your appointment be terminated or are you a part of the essential workers that your company cannot do without?

If you are not one of those essential workers your company cannot do without, how can you start building your career capital right now so that you can get into that elite league?

I will recommend a book that you can read to help you solve this problem. It is called: SO GOOD THEY CAN'T IGNORE YOU BY CAL NEWPORT
But more than that, if you contact me on 07034554516, I will give you the audio book version, plus the THE LAW OF COMPENSATION, THE LAW OF SACRIFICE, THE LAW OF SUCCESS, and THE SECRET SCIENCE OF GETTING RICH BY BOB PROCTOR, MICHAEL BECKWITT, AND JACK CANFIELD. I will direct you to specific sections that address this problem!
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:35am On Apr 26, 2020
Is your Job at risk?

HOW TO KNOW IF YOUR JOB IS AT RISK

I saw in another thread where someone posted that people should go collect their sack letters on Monday.

Actually, some people have received their sack letters already, while others are still in limbo. Many have been informed of paycut, while others are still keeping their ears to the ground.

A friend called me that his company (we were colleagues before I left for another job), asked him to put in a resignation letter. As bad as this may seem, I was happy the company asked him to do that rather than terminate him. He is working till the end of this month and I know that company will pay him in full - I know because we worked there together as I earlier mentioned, but that will be his last salary.

Another friend told me that they have not been paid March salaries yet, but they have been informed that they will be taking a 50% pay cut for April! These are the realities on ground

How do you know If your job is at risk?

Here is a tip!
During the lockdown, if your company did a rota, how many days were you on the rota? Was the company comfortable to allow you go for may days? If that is true, your job is at risk. Let me explain from the firm I work for: I am offering services to a construction firm at this time. We have some projects running. The quantity surveyor people had just one day off and max two days, procurement has just one day, while others had about three to five days off for a two weeks rota

Now this explains how essential the quantity survey and procurement/logistics people are in the company. Of course, items must be procured for the projects on an on-going basis and mobilized to site and hence the procurement/logistics guys are crucial. Quantity surveyors must monitor, negotiate, and approve quotes from subcontractors for the project to go on. They must also prepare variations to send to the client. If the company must remain in business, they must be on the payroll!

And oh! The accounts department process all these payments so you got to keep them!

ARE YOU GETTING THE MESSAGE?
HOW LONG WAS YOUR COMPANY COMFORTABLE TO LET YOU STAY AWAY? THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IS KEY

WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM ESCRAVOS RIGHT NOW
Do you know anyone in escravos at this time. Reach out to them and confirm what I am about to say here.

In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, Chevron has tightened access to the facility. You must undergone a quarantine period before the crew change for you to come onboard the facility. They have also decided to decongest the facility to minimize risk and enforce social distancing.

To this end, all non-eseential workers have been sent off the platform, while essential workers are "stuck" there. I have friends and customers there. I can't call names, for obvious reasons, but I have helped deliver our orgasm guarantee vibrators to many of their wives.
When my friend who is a sub contractor there complained of his predicament, I gave him my candid advice as I always do: "it is better to be stuck there than to come home and have nothing to do"

E don complain of konji tire, I say bros, just endure, this too shall pass.

So do you get the point? Can you now assess the job security you have post COVID-19?
YOU NEED CAREER CAPITAL
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:35am On Apr 26, 2020
SO WHAT IS CAREER CAPITAL?

Next!
So let's talk about career capital. Did you read that 75% of Access Bank workers will be retrenched? You can read it here: https://www.nairaland.com/5828305/access-bank-cut-staff-salaries

Now, in explaining the class of workers to be laid off, it is clear that those non-essentials workers whose roles are not critical to the bank's operations will be let go! Those essential workers that the bank will retain are those with a very high value of career capital

The craftsman mindset is an approach to your working life in which you focus on the value of what you are offering to the world. This is in sharp contrast to the passion mindset which is an approach to your working life in which you focus on the value your job is offering you. It should interest you to know that the passion mindset leads to chronic dissatisfaction and day dreaming about the better jobs you imagine exist out there waiting to be discovered.

Career capital is a description of the skills you have that are rare and valuable to the working world. This is the key currency for creating work you love.

The career capital theory of work postulates that the key to work you love is not to follow your passion but instead to get good at something rare and valuable and then cash in the career capital this generates to acquire the traits that define great jobs. This requires that you approach work with the craftsman mindset focusing on your value to the world and not on the passion mindset focusing on what value the world is offering you!

The traits that define great work are rare and valuable. Supply and demand says that if you want this traits, you need rare and valuable skills to offer in return. These rare and valuable skills are your career capital. The craftsman mindset with its focus on being so good they can't ignore you is a strategy well suited for acquiring career capital. This is why it Trumps the passion mindset if your job is to have a job you love and not only sustain it, but also get promoted.
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:36am On Apr 26, 2020
THE ALLURE OF THE MYTH OF PASSIVE INCOME

Coming next......
Is the thread making sense?
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:36am On Apr 26, 2020
Point 4
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by FreshBoss007: 6:44am On Apr 26, 2020
Following
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:59am On Apr 26, 2020
Welcome boss.

Let's join hands to make this thread a light for our brothers and sisters
FreshBoss007:
Following
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by ITbomb(m): 7:41am On Apr 26, 2020
Good
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 7:07am On May 03, 2020
Are you resuming work tomorrow or you already got a termination email?

If you are resuming, how valuable are you at work?

Read the point on career capital above.

Cheers as we keep the thread moving.
Feel free to share your experiences for or against this theory.

The audio book package available on special discount today only. Contact me on zero seven zero three 4554516
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 6:22am On May 05, 2020
Feel free to share your insightful comments...

I am too busy to update at a stretch.

Point 3 will be published today.

The offer for the audio courses is still on. Pay and get instant digital download. 07034554516

PS:
I was so happy over the weekend. A colleague resigned from his job for a bigger job - the type that we all dream of! In this COVID-19 era people are still getting miracles! I rejoice with him and pray we all get our heart desires too, despite the times....
Re: Career Capital - How To Gain A Promotion While Others Are Sacked Post COVID-19 by bamasite2: 8:07am On May 24, 2020
I have been too busy, but this post will be updated by Wednesday 27th May 2020 when the lock-down resumes in Port Harcourt.

Until then, if you have any questions, feel free to drop them as we continue the ride!

(1) (Reply)

Free Graphic Design Class On Mobile Phone / Are You A Copywriter, Or You Want To Be One? You've Got To Read This!!! / The Complete Guide To Resume Formatting, From Paper Size To Font And Spacing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.