Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,876 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition (23494 Views)

Northern Governors, Others Pressurize Tinubu To Remove Akpabio - SaharaReporters / Governor Duoye Diri, PDP Using FG's Palliatives To Induce Voters – APC / Douye Diri (PDP) And Timi Sylva (APC) Sign Peace Accord (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by senatordave1(m): 2:36pm On Apr 27, 2020
Ahead of the pre-hearing of the petition filed by the governorship candidate of Liberation Movement (LM), Vijah Eldred Opuama, against Bayelsa Governor Douye Diri of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), pressure is being mounted on the plaintiff to drop his petition.

Opuama had dragged Diri, his deputy, Lawrence Ehwrudjakpo, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before the Bayelsa Elections Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja, seeking the disqualification of Ehwrudjakpo and calling for a fresh governorship election.

Checks indicate that several emissaries from the PDP have been sent to Opuama appealing to him to drop the petition in exchange for an undisclosed sum of money and the promise of cabinet positions.

The emissaries are said to have met with Opuama and his close political associates pleading with him in the interest of the state and the Ijaw nation to withdraw the petition and save the state from avoidable distractions.

Chairmen of two political parties in the state who know Opuama personally are also said to have spoken to him, advising the LM candidate to withdraw his petition and cooperate with the PDP administration to form a government of unity in the interest of Bayelsans.

Opuama has, however, reportedly rebuffed all attempts to persuade him to withdraw his petition, purportedly saying that his petition was filed in the interest of Bayelsa State.

The LM governorship candidate, who recently raised alarm over threats to his life, said he is ready to pursue his petition up to the Supreme Court in order to get justice.

Opuama had hinged his petition on arguments that, as of the time of the governorship election, Ehwrudjakpo was not qualified to contest as he allegedly provided false information to the electoral commission to aid his qualification.

In his statement of facts before the Tribunal, the Opuama argued:

“The 4th Respondent was not qualified to contest the election in that he submitted an affidavit containing false information to the 1st Respondent. The 4th Respondent’s Degree certificate dated 3rd February 1998 purportedly issued by Rivers State University of Science and Technology and the 4th Respondent’s certificate of exemption from National Youth Service Corps purportedly issued on 2nd February 1998 are inconsistent with one another other and contradictory to one another.

“I know that by virtue of National Youth Service Corps Act, certificate of exemption from National Youth Service under the Act is only issued to persons who have successfully graduated from the University and have their degree certificate as approved by the University’s Senate.”

Ehwrudjakpo has since though his counsel Mr Clement Kekemeke in a press conference dismissed the allegation of presenting false information to the INEC for the Bayelsa governorship election.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/bayelsa-guber-pressure-on-party-candidate-to-withdraw-petition/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by rusher14: 2:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by fergie001: 2:48pm On Apr 27, 2020
Douye Diri v LM.....SC 5% loading...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by senatordave1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2020
fergie001:
Douye Diri v LM.....SC 5% loading...
Why 5%
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by fergie001: 2:53pm On Apr 27, 2020
senatordave1:

Why 5%
The tribunal case will constitutionally expire on August 18, 2020....then CoA if need be.....before SC.

Journey still far.
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by senatordave1(m): 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2020
fergie001:

The tribunal case will constitutionally expire on August 18, 2020....then CoA if need be.....before SC.

Journey still far.
That means the issue of when the 6 months started counting has been settled.I can never forget the IMO case,it was sweet

1 Like

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by fergie001: 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
senatordave1:

That means the issue of when the 6 months started counting has been settled.I can never forget the IMO case,it was sweet
I don't know....I am saying to my own knowledge.

No lawyer here has helped us. Even my lawyer guy don mute me. Will call this night sha/

If its Nov counting...May is expiry.
If we go by layman like us, its Aug.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by senatordave1(m): 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2020
fergie001:

I don't know....I am saying to my own knowledge.

No lawyer here has helped us. Even my lawyer guy don mute me. Will call this night sha/

If its Nov counting...May is expiry.
If we go by layman like us, its Aug.
Based on what the tribunal is doing they are counting from feb
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by fergie001: 3:07pm On Apr 27, 2020
senatordave1:

Based on what the tribunal is doing they are counting from feb
May is here already...Once it exceeds May 18.....then it's Aug.
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by senatordave1(m): 3:26pm On Apr 27, 2020
fergie001:

May is here already...Once it exceeds May 18.....then it's Aug.

A 2nd degree in law will suffice
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Antox(m): 3:42pm On Apr 27, 2020
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Mikkymilli: 3:42pm On Apr 27, 2020
Now I'm here i really don't know what to say. People that know what to say are coming.
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Enoch07: 3:43pm On Apr 27, 2020
abeg make this one go sit down

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by olaboy33(m): 3:43pm On Apr 27, 2020
Over to oshiomole and the owners of the supreme court.

If a reelection is to be declared, Lyon and Apc would have a field day.

5 Likes

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by nairavsdollars(f): 3:43pm On Apr 27, 2020
All i know is, nothing for APC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Hemanwel(m): 3:44pm On Apr 27, 2020
Who else notices the striking resemblance between governor Douye Diri and his predecessor, Seriake Dickson?

Apart from them having 'D' as the first letter of their surnames, they both swell like garri that has been soaked in water for days.

Just an observation though!

12 Likes

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Realestatepro(m): 3:44pm On Apr 27, 2020
Chaaiiii, this was David Lyon's mandate given to him by baylesa.
Diri took over for reasons best known to inec and co.
Now another candidate wants to wrestle it out of Diri's hand for another malpractice from his deputy.
Interesting times ahead in baylesa politics.

Contact us for genuine lands and houses within various locations across Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by mcdokwe(m): 3:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
Even though there might be more to it than we know, but in the light of the above stated reasons, he might be dismissed with a no case ruling.

Whereas a graduate may proceed for national service or be exempted as the case may be immediately his degree result is ratified by the senate, a degree certificate may be delayed until such time the institution is able to hold a convocation and the date of convocation is what is affixed to the certificate.

So, unless there's a clear case of forgery which is not farfetched from our politicians, the ordering of the date makes no difference.

Thank you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by TruthSpeaker: 3:46pm On Apr 27, 2020
ANOTHER ELECTION PETITION IN THE SAME STATE FOR A SIMILAR CERTIFICATE RELATED OFFENSE? I’M DONE WITH THIS BAYELSA OF A STATE. THESE USELESS DUDES THAT KEEP FAKING RESULTS. WHILE OTHERS WHERE AT SCHOOL STUDYING, THEY WERE BUSY DRINKING OGOGORO, EATING CATFISH & SMOKING IGBO, DOING PIPELINE VANDALISM, ILLEGAL OIL BUNKERING, CULTISM, ETC.
RIGHT NOW ALL THE FOCUS IS PLACED ON COVID-19 WHICH IS A PANDEMIC AROUND THE WORLD.
APC WILL WILLINGLY AND GENEROUSLY SPONSOR THE DUDE TO KEEP FIGHTING, SO A NEW ELECTION COULD BE CONDUCTED. SOME JUDGES MIGHT MAKES BILLIONS OUT OF THIS FIGHT.

2 Likes

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by hodilem692: 3:47pm On Apr 27, 2020
smiley
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by habibzyL(m): 3:47pm On Apr 27, 2020
last last they will siphon our resources and enrich their personal pocket.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by frankmoney(m): 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Decolonel(m): 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2020
Imagine fighting over politics instead of fighting against COVID 19. Werey politifians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by StarUp: 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2020
Issorite

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by blackpanda: 3:49pm On Apr 27, 2020
So now Diri just realised there is need to allow a certificate forger remain in office for peace Wasn't it the same way he removed the APC guy embarassed

13 Likes

Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by lmm4real: 3:50pm On Apr 27, 2020
undecided
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Ebios(m): 3:51pm On Apr 27, 2020
That's not a case at all.
Make him go sleep!
In fact, the guy below me has something important to say���
Re: Diri, PDP Pressurize Vijah Eldred Opuama To Withdraw Petition by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 27, 2020
Court go throw way am, nor be Nigeria we dey. Nigeria my useless country

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari: Tinubu, Osinbajo, Amaechi In Battle For ‘Anointing’ - Vanguard / MURIC: A Terrorists Group? By Bishop Steven Ogedengbe / Tinubu Is The Only APC Presidential Aspirant Atiku Is Afraid Of – SWAGA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.