Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,710 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it (285 Views)

Kenyan Man Commits Suicide After Lover Cheated On Him (photos) / How To Recognize A Stroke And What To Do To Prevent It. / How To Prevent Heart Attack At Any Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 2:40pm On Apr 29, 2020
One of the worst effect of depression is SUICIDE, with Covid19, there have been lots of people committing suicide. Majority of these people are whites, and we've seen many white doctors committing suicide.

I noticed that in Africa we hardly commit suicide in the past. If you look at the trends of happenings in Nigeria, it is common for people that died in suicide to be ridiculed and mocked, in fact, our mothers, parents, friends use **Go and kill yourself** without a second thought and in Yoruba land, you can never scare your mother with suicide because you already know the answer, which is she will not follow you to the grave. Meanwhile, a white mother might burst into tears, take the child to a psychotherapist, and they would prescribe some certain drugs for the child.

With the advancement of the white folks in mental health, they have shunned many of these words or mockings. But Alas, they surpass us in cases of suicide and depression.

Despite the fact that we have more problems in this part of the world, it baffles me that the whites have more suicidal cases. Whenever I'm in the North or some part of the country where people are suffering, I look at some people, and tears drop from my eyes when I see them gisting or talking normally, and even smiling, because these people are people one would have thought they have no reason to be happy compared to our white folks. You will see whites children of ages below 12 commuting suicide, I really don't know how they got to know how to commit suicide.

Also in recent days in Nigeria, people are becoming more educated, and it would be rare for modern mother's to tell their children **Go and Kill yourself**, negative words are now being shunned compared to in the past, we now beg people not to kill themselves, our society is beginning to be less harsh as it was, this is when we are now having a higher number of suicidal cases.

To me, while I would shun mocking someone who commits suicide, I do not really think that pitying them has done any good by reducing cases of suicide.

What do you think?
Why is it increasing in Nigeria especially among young adults, don't tell me its because of Economy, because Nigeria was worst during Babangida Regime.

You can say its some chemical bla bla bla in the brain, why are Africans not having this same chemicals malfunctioning.
And with the rate at which we are copying whites peoples lifestyles, and we are approaching their problems, I feel a time will come that we would also be afflicted with a higher number of suicide cases, how do you think we can prevent this in the future?
Because a time is not coming, that humans will be free of CHALLENGES
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 2:43pm On Apr 29, 2020
Thiwalade
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 2:44pm On Apr 29, 2020
@Tiwalade
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 2:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
What is the way out of this?
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 2:53pm On Apr 29, 2020
Don't be silent
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by Goddys(m): 3:23pm On Apr 29, 2020
Influence of social media is the major cause of the increase in Nigeria. It was never our culture to commit suicide. In fact in Igbo land, it is an abomination that attracts severe penalty to the dead by throwing the corpse to an evil forest.

1 Like

Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 3:25pm On Apr 29, 2020
Goddys:
Influence of social media is the major cause of the increase in Nigeria. It was never our culture to commit suicide. In fact in Igbo land, it is an abomination that attracts severe penalty to the dead by throwing the corpse to an evil forest.
I think some of these cultures might have prevented many of our people from committing suicide in the past
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by Goddys(m): 3:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
ModestGal:

I think some of this cultures might have prevented many of our people from committing suicide in the past

Yes it was never considered a mental health issue.

Another theory is that the circumstance of our birth as an average Nigeria hardens and enables us to face obstacles life throws at us.

How many poor and wretched people in Nigeria have you heard committed suicide. It is mainly those that had it easy with life from onset that relapse when life throws a shade at them.
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 3:35pm On Apr 29, 2020
Goddys:

Yes it was never considered a mental health issue.

Another theory is that the circumstance of our birth as an average Nigeria hardens and enables us to face obstacles life throws at us.

How many poor and wretched people in Nigeria have you heard committed suicide. It is mainly those that had it easy with life from onset that relapse when life throws a shade at them.

Hmmn, there's wisdom in your words
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 29, 2020
One of the ways to build mental strength is hardship though you may think it's counterproductive but those who can endure harsh conditions and challenges are more mentally stronger than those who have it easy. The hardship we overcome on a daily basis is somehow linked with our mental fortitude. Although some situations seem insurmountable that the next thing on one's mind is suicide. I think suicide comes from being unable to overcome challenges over time. It's rarely a one time thought process. We get frustrated and these frustrations can harm our mental health, later this can result in suicidal thoughts. I believe if one makes little progress, overcome some challenges from time to time the thought of suicide will not be an option. I remember I once thought of suicide when I felt my life was stalling but when I started to make progress, I realized life is good and I'm looking forward earnestly to the future now. Remember your first heartbreak? You definitely became stronger.
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 4:23am On Apr 30, 2020
I agree
Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 4:24am On Apr 30, 2020
Thiwalade:
One of the ways to build mental strength is hardship though you may think it's counterproductive but those who can endure harsh conditions and challenges are more mentally stronger than those who have it easy. The hardship we overcome on a daily basis is somehow linked with our mental fortitude. Although some situations seem insurmountable that the next thing on one's mind is suicide. I think suicide comes from being unable to overcome challenges over time. It's rarely a one time thought process. We get frustrated and these frustrations can harm our mental health, later this can result in suicidal thoughts. I believe if one makes little progress, overcome some challenges from time to time the thought of suicide will not be an option. I remember I once thought of suicide when I felt my life was stalling but when I started to make progress, I realized life is good and I'm looking forward earnestly to the future now. Remember your first heartbreak? You definitely became stronger.
Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: SUICIDE: Why Is It Lesser In Africa, How to prevent it by ModestGal(f): 4:28am On Apr 30, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Coffee In 5 Mins. / Faeroe Islands Covid-19 Cases Have All Recovered / Cesarean Section Surgical Procedure In Ancient Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.