Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,924 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Can You Afford To Go To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Afford To Go To Church? (1625 Views)

Homeless Man Inspired Me To Go To Church Today (Photo) / Happy Sunday: Is Having Sex As Couple Before Going To Church Godly Or Ungodly? / Can You Borrow Money For Your Wedding Or Can You Afford A Wedding Ring That Worth One Million Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Afford To Go To Church? by wlex8(m): 3:54pm On Jan 10, 2011
Regular BBC Africa HYS listener Francis Kennedy Ocloo from Ghana says the church is taking too much money from its congregation.  "Sometimes it is too embarrassing if you not able to contribute," he adds.

Church congregation (AP)

Does your church expect too much from you financially? Does the way collections are conducted put people under pressure? Does the pressure to contribute deter you from attending?

How much do you know about how the funds are spent?

If you are from another faith group, are you faced with similar issues?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/africahaveyoursay/2011/01/can-you-afford-to-go-to-church.shtml

Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by Jenwitemi(m): 5:53pm On Jan 10, 2011
There is no doubt that going to church is becoming more and more prohibitive for the churchgoers in these days of precious little. But thank God that there is another option. There are always other options.
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by victorazy(m): 7:38pm On Jan 10, 2011
Everybody is talking about giving morney in church.
Have you ever think about the sit ur sitting on the church how it came, the shelter
If you like no give (givers never lack)
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by Azibalua(f): 7:54pm On Jan 10, 2011
the gospel is free but definitely not cheap,and god loves a cheerful giver not one who does it with complaints.
it is not a forcefulf thing to give but it is for your own good cos the blessings will accrue to your account not another persons
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:40pm On Jan 10, 2011
But of course! We all know that it is not for the good of the pastors! Even the jets and the expensive suits and the colony of cars acquired by the MOGs for their own use are for the good of the unfortunate gullibles.
Azibalua:

the gospel is free but definitely not cheap,and god loves a cheerful giver not one who does it with complaints.
it is not a forcefulf thing to give but it is for your own good cos the blessings will accrue to your account not another persons

Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by wlex8(m): 10:24am On Jan 11, 2011
Have you heard of a situation where you must give a 1,000.00 euro offering before being allowed to see a man of God or where pastor's prayer intensity is directly proportional to the amount you give as offering, now tell me how those who can not give due to lack of it will feel in such a situation.

I'm only concerned about making salvation too expensive for the poor.
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by nuella2(f): 1:05pm On Jan 11, 2011
Can i afford to fix my hair?

Can i afford to buy new cloths?

Can i afford to buy snacks?

Can i afford to pay my child's school fees?

Can i afford to listen to BBC?

Can i afford to be on the net?

Man is a spirit and his problems are spiritual and are to be handled spiritually. Greed is the problem of most pple, they can buy and pay for every other thing but in church they give nothing. Some give mllions to babalawo, pay dues in their cults monthly, sponsor terrorists etc. This gospel most go to the ends of the earth and we are not going to make that happen with water and paper but money. The devil wants to church to remain small without a voice, without money. The way to have is to give, the devil is fighting giving in chuches cos he knows the prosperity of the christian is mostly dependent on his giving. Most churches that do not teach their members to give cannot do big things for God. Most times even the people in the street they are do not know a church is there. In the bible some christians sold their properties(land) so give to the church. People gave the very last meal they have? If people stop going to church, what will BBC gain? More pple staying at home to watch them on sunday morning.
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by ogajim(m): 2:34pm On Jan 11, 2011
nuella2:

Can i afford to fix my hair?

Can i afford to buy new cloths?

Can i afford to buy snacks?

Can i afford to pay my child's school fees?

Can i afford to listen to BBC?

Can i afford to be on the net?

Man is a spirit and his problems are spiritual and are to be handled spiritually. Greed is the problem of most pple, they can buy and pay for every other thing but in church they give nothing. Some give mllions to babalawo, pay dues in their cults monthly, sponsor terrorists etc. This gospel most go to the ends of the earth and we are not going to make that happen with water and paper but money. The devil wants to church to remain small without a voice, without money. The way to have is to give, the devil is fighting giving in chuches cos he knows the prosperity of the christian is mostly dependent on his giving. Most churches that do not teach their members to give cannot do big things for God. Most times even the people in the street they are do not know a church is there. In the bible some christians sold their properties(land) so give to the church. People gave the very last meal they have? If people stop going to church, what will BBC gain? More pple staying at home to watch them on sunday morning.

It would be nice to know which Scripture you are quoting from, from your post, it seems the only thing one can give in your church is money, what about Charity towards one another that Christ preached? Most of these "modern day" churches are actually turning most people away from church with their hunger for the filthy lucre. Way too many "principles" being preached that can't be found in the Bible or twisted if found at all, "be wise as serpents and gentle as doves" is Jesus Christ's charge to his followers.
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by nuella2(f): 3:32pm On Jan 11, 2011
ogajim:

It would be nice to know which Scripture you are quoting from, from your post, it seems the only thing one can give in your church is money, what about Charity towards one another that Christ preached? Most of these "modern day" churches are actually turning most people away from church with their hunger for the filthy lucre. Way too many "principles" being preached that can't be found in the Bible or twisted if found at all, "be wise as serpents and gentle as doves" is Jesus Christ's charge to his followers.

I didnt twist any verse, dont you know that when pple give men will give back to them, Luke6v38. Abi you don comot that part from ur bible?

How do you want men of God to look sef? They should suffer, wear okrika suit and ride okada. The bible instucted us to care for people that teach us the word of God. Romans15v27, 1corin 9v11. Its not money that keep men of God in MINISTRY, they will rather do something else. Have you ever prayed for a demon possessed person? How long have you fasted? Do you know the sacrifices they make to remain in God's vineyard? If you think its for the cash dont you like money? Become pastor na, make pple line-up with different spiritual cases. Its the joy of changing lives that keep them, if is money some pastors can be great business men. Some resign from their jobs to become pastors, all you do is judge and abuse them.  You talk so much about what you know you cant attemp to do.
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by ogajim(m): 6:39pm On Jan 11, 2011
^^^ Am I touching a nerve here that you've become so defensive

When I fast or how I do it is between me and my savior and not for your consumption, I don't do things for the sake of it madam. It is our DUTY as Christians to share everything we are blessed with (including knowledge of the Scriptures), you can put your "Pastor, MOG, GOC, GO, GS) on any pedestal you want as you are entitled to such but don't judge or question how I go about mine.

If you open your eyes a little and compare what you see or hear with what the Scriptures have to say about such, you might come away a better Christian or person. By their fruits ye shall know them and it does take a little effort to find out the truth instead of regurgitating what we've "been taught". I have actually heard a Nigerian pastor say "maybe you too can pick up the Bible and preach if you don't have a real job". If Jesus was so DIFFERENT from any of the twelve Disciples, there wouldn't have been any need for Judas to get paid for the betrayal. You should GIVE because it is our charge and duty not because of what you want to receive back as that would be like the stock market or kalo kalo,

Matthew 23 could give you a better understanding, shalom.
Re: Can You Afford To Go To Church? by nuella2(f): 11:22am On Jan 12, 2011
ogajim:

^^^ Am I touching a nerve here that you've become so defensive

When I fast or how I do it is between me and my savior and not for your consumption, I don't do things for the sake of it madam. It is our DUTY as Christians to share everything we are blessed with (including knowledge of the Scriptures), you can put your "Pastor, MOG, GOC, GO, GS) on any pedestal you want as you are entitled to such but don't judge or question how I go about mine.
If you open your eyes a little and compare what you see or hear with what the Scriptures have to say about such, you might come away a better Christian or person. By their fruits ye shall know them and it does take a little effort to find out the truth instead of regurgitating what we've "been taught". I have actually heard a Nigerian pastor say "maybe you too can pick up the Bible and preach if you don't have a real job". If Jesus was so DIFFERENT from any of the twelve Disciples, there wouldn't have been any need for Judas to get paid for the betrayal. You should GIVE because it is our charge and duty not because of what you want to receive back as that would be like the stock market or kalo kalo,

Matthew 23 could give you a better understanding, shalom.

Hmmmmmm interesting. You ogajim wrote that part in red?

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Gay Church Resume Operations In Lagos / Looking For The Spectacular And Missing The Supernatural / Happy 59th Birthday To Pastor Tunde Bakare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.