Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? (2449 Views)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Hyundai Accent 1.4liter AC Compressor Issues / Hyundai Accent Electronic Power Steering Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 2:51pm On May 02, 2020
A 2012 hyundai was brought to the today. The car has a serious vibration and inability to not idle unless you step on the throttle pedal. According to him, Previous mechanic have changed the four spark plugs, swapped the ignition coils and serviced the injector nozzles. On second check, cylinder 1 was just soaking fuel.

I scanned the car with following codes. Surprisingly No code pointing exclusively to cylinder 1.

The previous mechanic have removed a lot of connectors while the car was running. I had to clear the code to see which comes back.

Live data stream shows throttle position sensor was at 0% with the leg of the throttle pedal

I managed to drive the car a little one pending code came back
P0011 '= A' Camshaft
Position Timing Over-Advanced
Or System Performance Bank 1

I decided to check the compression on the four cylinder. Surprisingly cylinder one has zero compression

What must has likely gone wrong in cylinder 1?

I'm yet to open the engine. Customer has asked to discontinue the repair while he source for funds.

AutoMoTech
Gazzuzz
Kingreign
Autologic
Inception
Etc

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 2:59pm On May 02, 2020
Cylinder 1 compression

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 3:00pm On May 02, 2020
Cylinder 2 and 3 compression

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 3:00pm On May 02, 2020
Cylinder 4 compression

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by ITbomb(m): 3:12pm On May 02, 2020
I'm having problems with misfire on hyundai accent, after doing all mechanic says the npk plug I've been using isn't good. Which plug do you use for hyundai
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by kingreign(m): 3:13pm On May 02, 2020
Mrford:
Cylinder 1 compression
No compression, either head gasket or worn out cylinder failure or stuck valve.
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by autologic: 3:22pm On May 02, 2020
You have extreme case of dead hole on cylinder one which was the reason for the cylnder soaking fuel as no compression power on that cylinder to ignite air fuel mixture .
Do a further test (vacuum intake test , compression wet test,leakdown test ) to eliminate other variable eg to confirm if u are dealing with valve leak, cylinder bore wash or piston rings issue .
I don't think this is head gasket issue because this a classical single cylinder dead misfire.For head gasket issue ,the low compression will hold more than 1 cylinder.
Love to see that we are stepping up our diagnostics game .Nice one cool

5 Likes

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:26pm On May 02, 2020
Mrford:
A 2012 hyundai was brought to the today. The car has a serious vibration and inability to not idle unless you step on the throttle pedal. According to him, Previous mechanic have changed the four spark plugs, swapped the ignition coils and serviced the injector nozzles. On second check, cylinder 1 was just soaking fuel.

I scanned the car with following codes. Surprisingly No code pointing exclusively to cylinder 1.

The previous mechanic have removed a lot of connectors while the car was running. I had to clear the code to see which comes back.

Live data stream shows throttle position sensor was at 0% with the leg of the throttle pedal

P0011 '= A' Camshaft

I decided to check the compression on the four cylinder. Surprisingly cylinder one has zero compression

I'm yet to open the engine. Customer has asked to discontinue the repair while he source for funds.

AutoMoTech
Gazzuzz
Kingreign
Autologic
Inception
Etc

is the head gasket graphite or metal?
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by AutoMoTech(m): 4:43pm On May 02, 2020
Mrford:

P0011 '= A' Camshaft

AutoMoTech
Gazzuzz
Kingreign
Autologic
Inception
Etc
In addition dont forget to fix TPS fault. As this will affect your diagnosis is the PCM doesn't know the position of the throttle opening.
Also Check the Operation of injector for cylinder one.
Confirm its not stuck open probably a short causing it to constantly spray fuel there-by causing cylinder wash which will the result in worn piston ring/wall.
If its not the above, since you have confirmed low
to no compression on cylinder one, next is to find out if its a compression leak to crankcase or via a broken valve seal.
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by autologic: 5:31pm On May 02, 2020
Yes it is also possible ,that it actually the soaking injector that is causing the extremely zero compression on cylinder 1 due to cylinder bore wash .
Include injector balance test as part of further test that u will still do.
Pls let grow beyond mere code scanning ,it aids better understanding

1 Like

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 8:48pm On May 02, 2020
autologic:
You have extreme case of dead hole on cylinder one which was the reason for the cylnder soaking fuel as no compression power on that cylinder to ignite air fuel mixture .
Do a further test (vacuum intake test , compression wet test,leakdown test ) to eliminate other variable eg to confirm if u are dealing with valve leak, cylinder bore wash or piston rings issue .
I don't think this is head gasket issue because this a classical single cylinder dead misfire.For head gasket issue ,the low compression will hold more than 1 cylinder.
Love to see that we are stepping up our diagnostics game .Nice one cool

I doubt if it's headgasket because if it was, at least there should a little compression. Valve leak? To cause zero compression it ought to be a big leak. I will do a compression wet test on Monday. I don't have a leak down tester for now.
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 8:49pm On May 02, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

is the head gasket graphite or metal?

I didn't check. I will do that on Monday.
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 9:13pm On May 02, 2020
kingreign:

No compression, either head gasket or worn out cylinder failure or stuck valve.

I will give update if the owner decides to go ahead with the Job.
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 9:16pm On May 02, 2020
AutoMoTech:

In addition dont forget to fix TPS fault. As this will affect your diagnosis is the PCM doesn't know the position of the throttle opening.
Also Check the Operation of injector for cylinder one.
Confirm its not stuck open probably a short causing it to constantly spray fuel there-by causing cylinder wash which will the result in worn piston ring/wall.
If its not the above, since you have confirmed low
to no compression on cylinder one, next is to find out if its a compression leak to crankcase or via a broken valve seal.

Alright. I will check that out.
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by AutoMoTech(m): 9:17pm On May 02, 2020
Mrford:

I will give update if the owner decides to go ahead with the Job.
If its with you u can just do it for learning purpose and share here
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by Mrford(m): 9:19pm On May 02, 2020
ITbomb:
I'm having problems with misfire on hyundai accent, after doing all mechanic says the npk plug I've been using isn't good. Which plug do you use for hyundai

Has he confirmed ist plug that is causing the misfire?
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by AutoMoTech(m): 9:24pm On May 02, 2020
Mrford:

I am very sure they didnt.

1 Like

Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by freemi(m): 11:10pm On Jul 20, 2020
Mrford:

plugs gaps can cause the problem also bad or dirty oil timing sensor
Re: 2012 Hyundai Accent, What Could Have Possibly Gone Wrong? by sultaan(m): 12:11am On Jul 22, 2020
Cylinder 1 is toast, if there is no hole on the side of the engine then, you will find the parts in the oil pan.
A zero compression means it broke off the crankshaft in
or your valve is stuck wide open my opinion.
If you remove the spark plugs on cylinder 1 and turn the crankshaft by hand check to see if the piston comes up or go down if it does, your valve is wide open. A bent valve will still be more than zero

I am not a mechanic just my opinion

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Buy My First Car And My Budget Is 1.8m / Flashing Check Engine Light / ............slander And Malicious Attacks By @kewtt...........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.