Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Discrimination In Igboland - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Discrimination In Igboland (4653 Views)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Daybreak In Udi: An Exposé Of British Colonization Schemes In Igboland / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination In Igboland by fingard02k(m): 10:21am On Jan 11, 2011
I dont know why this is still happening in igboland.Why do we discriminate our fellow igbo brother and sisters?,What have they done that other igbo tribes have not committed before?.Im talking about ebonyi people (abakeleke or nwa aba in an offenceive way).I had been wittnessing this day in day out,calling them all sorts of name,anything bad,is nwa aba,fight,robbery,any mistake from okada man is nwa aba.this have now made most of them (ebonyi people) to denie,ashamed of their state of origin,some will even fight you if you tell or call them nwa aba,abakiliki.many of their girl are regarded as nothing even if she is beautiful or not.they are seen as animal especial here in awka and anambra in general and other parts of igboland (im anambrarian).their is this thing that people says about that made me to bring it up here,'if abakiliki man and snake enter his/her house that he/she chase away abakiliki and leave the snake' its a popular saying.I have been adviceing people to stop it but its just like pouring water in a basket.Please help make them to understand we are one.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by oludashmi(f): 11:50am On Jan 11, 2011
There have been thread upon threads on this topic and similar ones, discrimination on who are core igbos and who are not, threads on who should be igbo and who should not but they have always ended with pages of insults and arguments. . . so I dont think threads like this should continue cos it may not make the difference you expect.

Just my opinion undecided
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by excanny: 12:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
oludashmi:

There have been thread upon threads on this topic and similar ones, discrimination on who are core igbos and who are not, threads on who should be igbo and who should not but they have always ended with pages of insults and arguments. . . so I dont think threads like this should continue cos it may not make the difference you expect.

Just my opinion undecided

He's talking about something else. To help you understand, it's more like the Ijebu/Ogun state discrimination that goes on in Yoruba land(pls tribalists I only used the Yoruba example to help her understand what the poster is saying)
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by oludashmi(f): 12:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
I understand
I am saying it might end up in igbo this igbo that bashing among yourselves
But if you think the topic is worth discussing among you guys, no wahala
Off I went.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by excanny: 12:56pm On Jan 11, 2011
No. It's not worth discussing. It's an internal issue. Ohaneze should handle that.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Abagworo(m): 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2011
This your so-called discrimination is unknown in most parts of Igboland.It only existed in parts of Anambra and Enugu.The Ezza people were great warriors in the past and cannot therefore be denied their contribution in shaping up what is today called Igbo nation.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 2:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
Ohanaeze can't do anything about that, especially now that its too busy wining and dining with politics. Anyway, this news doesn't shock me, and I don't think its anything we should really waste our breath on. It happens everywhere. Other Igbo mock Ngwa. The Ngwa call other Igbo (with the exception of Ndoki, Asa, Echee and Ikwere) "Ohnuhnu". Enugwu people used to be mockingly called "Waawa", until it then became their adopted name (they developed a shared identity off that). Onicha, from what I hear, sometimes may still refer to the other Igbo culture-groups as "Nwa Onye Igbo". Ikwere refer to those north of them as "Isoma". Then there's the Anambra vs Everyone Else deal. So this news with Ebonyi people doesn't surprise me, and I certainly don't believe its worth our time. It's not a hot enough topic.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by aljharem11(m): 3:20pm On Jan 11, 2011
fingard02k:

I dont know why this is still happening in igboland.Why do we discriminate our fellow igbo brother and sisters?,What have they done that other igbo tribes have not committed before?.Im talking about ebonyi people (abakeleke or nwa aba in an offenceive way).I had been wittnessing this day in day out,calling them all sorts of name,anything bad,is nwa aba,fight,robbery,any mistake from okada man is nwa aba.this have now made most of them (ebonyi people) to denie,ashamed of their state of origin,some will even fight you if you tell or call them nwa aba,abakiliki.many of their girl are regarded as nothing even if she is beautiful or not.they are seen as animal especial here in awka and anambra in general and other parts of igboland (im anambrarian).their is this thing that people says about that made me to bring it up here,'if abakiliki man and snake enter his/her house that he/she chase away abakiliki and leave the snake' its a popular saying.I have been adviceing people to stop it but its just like pouring water in a basket.Please help make them to understand we are one.

it is nothing new undecided

excanny:

No. It's not worth discussing. It's an internal issue. Ohaneze should handle that.

why ohaneze

why can everyone take it upon themselves to respect others

ohaneze can not do this on there own, it has to come from individual igbos to respect one another. undecided
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by fingard02k(m): 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2011
@abagworo
is because you dont live here (anambra).Both ezza,ikwo,izzi,abakiliki etc are all being discriminated.Once they (people) know that you are from ebonyi,you will be regarded as nothing,animal.Even hausa people mock them by calling them nwa aba.Those people have suffered alot from both anambrarians,enugu,imo,abia that resides in anambra
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by aljharem11(m): 4:09pm On Jan 11, 2011
fingard02k:

is because you dont live here (anambra).Both ezza,ikwo,izzi,abakiliki etc are all being discriminated.Once they (people) know that you are from ebonyi,you will be regarded as nothing,animal.Even hausa people mock them by calling them nwa aba.Those people have suffered alot from both anambrarians,enugu,imo,abia that resides in anambra

i have lived in anambra and i know this thing go on.

what we have to do is educate the people so as to see that they are one and igbo like us

that is all smiley

although it is a shame that at this time things like this still happens cry cry
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Akhenaten: 6:30pm On Jan 11, 2011
I do agree that Ebonyi people are often mocked. Many Igbos considered the Igbo clans from Ebonyi as backwards in a way. However, I do not think it is outright discrimination in the sense that they are preventing Igbos from Ebonyi state from achieving anything.

Igbos are known to talk about other clans so you should not lose sleep over that. People in my region like to make fun of Mbaise people. It is just harmless stereotypes.

You find this in many countries. People from New York dislike people from Boston. People from the West Coast used to dislike people from the East Coast. And so on and so on. This is not new.

No need to blow it out of proportion. Just grow a tougher skin.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by aljharem11(m): 6:50pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

I do agree that Ebonyi people are often mocked. Many Igbos considered the Igbo clans from Ebonyi as backwards in a way. However, I do not think it is outright discrimination in the sense that they are preventing Igbos from Ebonyi state from achieving anything.

Igbos are known to talk about other clans so you should not lose sleep over that. People in my region like to make fun of Mbaise people. It is just harmless stereotypes.

You find this in many countries. People from New York dislike people from Boston. People from the West Coast used to dislike people from the East Coast. And so on and so on. This is not new.

i understand what you mean, but do you not think that the people have to be educated to respect others, i might be, because just because u can take it does not mean other can do the same
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by asha80(m): 9:20pm On Jan 11, 2011
it is matter of growing tough skin.nothing new.after all i at times is being mocked by my state of origin friends (imo state) that my people (obowu) are carriers of goat at the back.

fingard02k:

mbaise people are also referred to in such a way so nothing new.

fingard02k:

@abagworo
is because you dont live here (anambra).Both ezza,ikwo,izzi,abakiliki etc are all being discriminated.Once they (people) know that you are from ebonyi,you will be regarded as nothing,animal.Even hausa people mock them by calling them nwa aba[b].Those people have suffered alot from both anambrarians,enugu,imo,abia that resides in anambra[/b]

hehe have anambrarians stopped reffering to guys from imo state as being poor and only pursuing academics(ndi oke akwukwo) cheesy
Akhenaten:

i think in england the scousers are being regarded as the 'scourge of england'.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by dempeople(m): 9:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
@OP,

You're very correct! When I was back home in Anambra, I used to hear this very often. Though these are stereotypes, it has become ingrained in some people to discriminate against people from not just Afikpo, Ezza, Abakaliki etc but other parts of Igboland. No area is spared. Ebonyi people also have stereotypes about people from other areas of Igboland so, it goes both ways.

The major side effect of this is that, it has grown from mere fair-hearted stereotypes to serious ones in such a way that some Ndigbo would prefer not to marry from a particular area in Igboland. This is where Ohanaeze has a lot of job to do. That's why I keep drumming on the issue of a general Igbo re-orientation and cultural revolution. This is the only way to counter this scourge. Igbo Kwenu.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Abagworo(m): 10:39pm On Jan 11, 2011
dem_people:

@OP,

You're very correct! When I was back home in[b] Anambra[/b], I used to hear this very often. Though these are stereotypes, it has become ingrained in some people to discriminate against people from not just Afikpo, Ezza, Abakaliki etc but other parts of Igboland. No area is spared. Ebonyi people also have stereotypes about people from other areas of Igboland so, it goes both ways.

The major side effect of this is that, it has grown from mere fair-hearted stereotypes to serious ones in such a way that some Ndigbo would prefer not to marry from a particular area in Igboland. This is where Ohanaeze has a lot of job to do. That's why I keep drumming on the issue of a general Igbo re-orientation and cultural revolution. This is the only way to counter this scourge. Igbo Kwenu.

The truth need not be hidden that there exists a clannish trait amongst some Igbo groups mostly in Anambra.I am yet to understand the reason but that might have contributed to the denial of Igbo by many Igbo speakers.Even Ikwerres and Okrika inter-marry with other Igbos more than many Anambra clans.

Ebonyi has the most arable land in the SE and also some of the most beautiful and hard working women.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Obiagu1(m): 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2011
Some of you guys are talking poo!

If you don't understand the Igbos, you'll start fight where it shouldn't. Name calling and stereotyping is part of Igbos, I don't know why.
Onye ofe mmiri, nwa aba (originally for Ngwas from Aba), Nwa ezzaa (those from Abakaliki), Onye Wawa (note: Wawa is not a clan in Igboland as some people think, but a mockery by Anambrarians on the way some Enugu people say "No", no = wawa), onye agbanu (for Anambrarians) or ndi koi koi (though it's rare). Other names include nwa azu Igbo, nwa mgbakwu etc.

In Anambra, they mock each other too expecially those from less developed areas.

These mockery are mostly because some view others as less developed or backward. In Enugu, you have to grow balls, noone takes those as anything as everyone is mocked.

1 Like

Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Obiagu1(m): 10:54pm On Jan 11, 2011
fingard02k:

@abagworo

It's not true, they are not treated like animals! One of the richest male that reside in my town in Anambra is from Ebonyi, he is a millionaire, whereas nearly all male child from my town live outside the town. There are many of them, in fact, if you come to my town before Easter or Christmas, almost every man between 25 and 45 is from Ebonyi state.

Nwa aba thing is just name calling that Igbos do alot and has nothing to do with how they are treated.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by dempeople(m): 10:56pm On Jan 11, 2011
Abagworo:

The truth need not be hidden that there exists a clannish trait amongst some Igbo groups mostly in Anambra.I am yet to understand the reason but that might have contributed to the denial of Igbo by many Igbo speakers.Even Ikwerres and Okrika inter-marry with other Igbos more than many Anambra clans.

Ebonyi has the most arable land in the SE and also some of the most beautiful and hard working women.

I'm from Anambra but find anyone's need to marry solely from Anambra as silly, myopic and immature.

Obiagu1:

Some of you guys are talking poo!

If you don't understand the Igbos, you'll start fight where it shouldn't. Name calling and stereotyping is part of Igbos, I don't know why.
Onye ofe mmiri, nwa aba (originally for Ngwas from Aba), Nwa ezzaa (those from Abakaliki), Onye Wawa (note: Wawa is not a clan in Igboland as some people think, but a mockery by Anambrarians on the way some Enugu people say "No", no = wawa), onye agbanu (for Anambrarians) or ndi koi koi (though it's rare). Other names include nwa azu Igbo, nwa mgbakwu etc.

In Anambra, they mock each other too expecially those from less developed areas.

These mockery are mostly because some view others as less developed or backward. In Enugu, you have to grow balls, noone takes those as anything as everyone is mocked.

That's why I said, no area is spared though on a personal level, I find it disgusting to stereotype.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by excanny: 1:31pm On Jan 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

It's not true, they are not treated like animals! One of the richest male that reside in my town in Anambra is from Ebonyi, he is a millionaire, whereas nearly all male child from my town live outside the town. There are many of them, in fact, if you come to my town before Easter or Christmas, almost every man between 25 and 45 is from Ebonyi state.

Nwa aba thing is just name calling that Igbos do alot and has nothing to do with how they are treated.

Nwa Aba isn't derogatory, is it?
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 20, 2013
madam_oringo: The salvation of ibos is Nigeria! If not, the savages would have eaten themselves clean off the map! Why did Yorubas even teach this people how to read for goodness sake? Why let them have clothes and shoes? Why not let this savages keep eating themselves? This is my only grouse with the Yorubas and Hausas! angry angry angry

Hmm na wa o
The fear of the Igbo man is the beginning of wisdom
Sorry o

1 Like

Re: Discrimination In Igboland by nwadiuko1(m): 10:50am On Feb 15, 2015
I am a Nigerian, from Abia state, and a proud igbo boy......abum nwa Aba
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by eightsin(m): 6:51am On Feb 16, 2015
A friend from Isuikwuato in abia state just made that statement that Isuikwuato people don't marry deltans and I'd like to find out how true.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Ihuomadinihu: 7:07am On Feb 16, 2015
The discrimination is even more visible on social media. Immediately you identify yourself as 'onye Ebonyi',other Igbos make shady remarks. I grew up in Southern Igboland in the company of a few Ebonyi natives and nobody actually made them feel less igbo. Probably,this discrimination exists amongst Northern Igbos as they are more clannish in Igboland.
There is no doubt that Igbos tend to cling to clans but the new age discrimination against Ebonyi natives is far too much. They are treated as backward and less developed, with no reference to their contributions to igboland or that they are last Igbo state to be created in Nigeria,hence the underdevelopment of their region.
We igbos have names for eachother,e.g, Nwa-Mbaise,Ohuhuu,Ijekebee,Mba Mmiri,Nwa Aba,Wawaa etc, but this has nothing to do with how Ebonyi natives are treated.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by oboy3(m): 8:23am On Feb 17, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
The discrimination is even more visible on social media. Immediately you identify yourself as 'onye Ebonyi',other Igbos make shady remarks. I grew up in Southern Igboland in the company of a few Ebonyi natives and nobody actually made them feel less igbo. Probably,this discrimination exists amongst Northern Igbos as they are more clannish in Igboland.
There is no doubt that Igbos tend to cling to clans but the new age discrimination against Ebonyi natives is far too much. They are treated as backward and less developed, with no reference to their contributions to igboland or that they are last Igbo state to be created in Nigeria,hence the underdevelopment of their region.
We igbos have names for eachother,e.g, Nwa-Mbaise,Ohuhuu,Ijekebee,Mba Mmiri,Nwa Aba,Wawaa etc, but this has nothing to do with how Ebonyi natives are treated.
you guys should quit this habit of blaming northern igbo/anambra for everythng bad in igboland,abeg
i stay in owerri,to the best of my knowledge owerri is part of your non-clannish southern igboland and from my many years of staying in owerri i come to realise that imo people are worse than anambra in discriminating their fellow igbos,there is this lecturer from mbaitolu who insults ndi anambra at any slight opportunity and calls us ''illiterates and ndi ego ogwu'' everyday in her lectures and calls ndi ebonyi igbo ''HAUSA IGBOS'' or ndi ime ezhi with her thick owerri tongue
imolites discriminate amongst their fellows imolites,,i was in douglas one day somebody said ihedioha cant be governor simply because he is an mbaise man,,how else can you define discrimination?

so abeg before you point fingers look at yourself thoroughly because the remaining three fingers are pointing back at you

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Nobody: 8:31am On Feb 17, 2015
oboy3:
you guys should quit this habit of blaming northern igbo/anambra for everythng bad in igboland,abeg
i stay in owerri,to the best of my knowledge owerri is part of your non-clannish southern igboland and from my many years of staying in owerri i come to realise that imo people are worse than anambra in discriminating their fellow igbos,there is this lecturer from mbaitolu who insults ndi anambra at any slight opportunity and calls us ''illiterates and ndi ego ogwu'' everyday in her lectures and calls ndi ebonyi igbo ''HAUSA IGBOS'' or ndi ime ezhi with her thick owerri tongue
imolites discriminate amongst their fellows imolites,,i was in douglas one day somebody said ihedioha cant be governor simply because he is an mbaise man,,how else can you define discrimination?

so abeg before you point fingers look at yourself thoroughly because the remaining three fingers are pointing back at you

Thank you. Thank you. I've lived in Enugu. I've lived in Anambra. I visit Imo quite frequently (I have three brothers-in-law from there). And the claim that Northern Igbo folks are more clannish than everyone else didn't ring true with me at all.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Ihuomadinihu: 8:34am On Feb 17, 2015
oboy3:

You might want to go back to op's initial post,where he stated that the discrimination against Ebonyi's is more intense in the Northern region. In Igbo land,name calling is part of the igbo lifestyle but this is totally different from how these people are treated.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 17, 2015
^^ I wish the OP was here to defend this so-called discrimination. He says this happens in Awka. Well, I am very very familiar with that town. Nobody is refusing to give Ebonyi people jobs or rent houses to them or meting out any other discriminatory practices to them.

People taunt them and make fun of them, yes. Because of the relatively underdeveloped nature of most Ebonyi towns and the lower literacy rate in their home state, they are often stereotyped as primitive, backward, even unintelligent. But saying that they are treated like animals is a wild, wild exaggeration.
Similar taunting of people from other clans exist throughout Igboland, and I have observed it. It is not an Anambra or a Northern Igbo thing.
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by oboy3(m): 8:48am On Feb 17, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You might want to go back to op's initial post,where he stated that the discrimination against Ebonyi's is more intense in the Northern region. In Igbo land,name calling is part of the igbo lifestyle but this is totally different from how these people are treated.
thats his own experience,i have lived in onitsha and owerri,the same way it exists in anambra is the same in imo
no more no less

even ebonyians themselves are no saints
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by oboy3(m): 8:58am On Feb 17, 2015
Radoillo:

Thank you. Thank you. I've lived in Enugu. I've lived in Anambra. I visit Imo quite frequently (I have three brothers-in-law from there). And the claim that Northern Igbo folks are more clannish than everyone else didn't ring true with me at all.
welcum bro,it exists everywhere,i once have been taunted by two ebonyi brothers telling me how anambrarians kill their loved ones for money ritual and i replied them that ebonyi love hawking
Re: Discrimination In Igboland by Ihuomadinihu: 9:13am On Feb 17, 2015
oboy3:
welcum bro,it exists everywhere,i once have been taunted by two ebonyi brothers telling me how anambrarians kill their loved ones for money ritual and i replied them that ebonyi love hawking
I guess mocking and taunting eachother is encoded in our dna. However,this discrimination is on another level and downright disturbing,that's the message Op is trying to pass across.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Black Indigenes Of Japan, And From Africa? / What Is This Notorious Itchy Plant Called In Your Language? / Far From Home, Yoruba Community Makes Home In Delta State- King Ayo (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.