Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,014 members, 7,835,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic (249 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Won't Escape Probe After COVID-19 Pandemic - PDP / Has Buhari/FG Actually Mishandled COVID-19 Pandemic? / Coronavirus: Buhari “Addresses” Nigerians On COVID-19 (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic by RealUncleJohn(m): 10:55am On May 04, 2020
The word pandemic is derived from the Greek word ‘Pan’ which means ‘all’ and ‘Demos’ which means ‘People’. Simply put, a pandemic is an epidemic of a disease that has spread across a large region affecting a substantial number of people cutting across international boundaries.

Throughout history, there have been a number of pandemic and diseases such as small pox and tuberculosis. One of the most devastating pandemics was the Black Death (also known as the Plague) which killed an estimated 75-200 million people in the 14th century. Since then, the world has been faced with various forms of pandemics which have also had its toll on citizens and the economy alike. This shows clearly that pandemics have been known to Man from time immemorial.

Over 1300 years ago Prophet Muhammad said and I quote” If there is a plague in a land do not enter it and if the plague breaks out while you are in it, do not leave that place” likewise the bible also said in Isaiah 26 vs. 20 counseling people to go into their houses, shut the doors and hide for a while until God’s anger is over.

The above authority postulates clearly that plagues are inevitable in life and to man. If only the Chinese authority had heeded the above admonition perhaps the corona virus currently sweeping across the globe will not have spread past Wuhan where it originated. Countries so far affected by the virus only deemed it fit to quarantine and isolate people after the virus had evolved into a pandemic.

Countries that are yet to record a case or that have recorded fewer cases and mortality figures are those who were proactive in restricting entry and exit movement. We can as well say they followed the biblical and Islamic prophetic basic admonition to the latter.

This approach was used by a village called Eyam (in Derbyshire, 35 miles South East of Manchester) in the summer of 1665, when a London merchant sent flea infested fabrics to the village tailors. A small town of a few hundred inhabitants made perhaps the most historic undertaking in human history: instead of fleeing from the Great Plague, they all decided to stay in the town and prevent the infection from spreading further.

With the villagers convinced of the need to stay put, they cut off all communication with its neighbors. Food, water and other basic necessities were sent from the country side.

They voluntarily placed themselves under quarantine. The inhabitants paid for food left on the edge of the village by placing the money in bowls disinfected with vinegar. The pandemic ceased in November 1666 and of Eyam’s 350 inhabitants between 250-260 persons died.

Although, the casualty figures were indeed high, but the heroic nature of residents is worthy of note. It is instructive to note that man is vulnerable to invincible, infinitesimal but scary viral creatures which could sometimes be used to remind us of God’s existence.

However, advocates of prayers as the chief form of medicine must ensure strict hygiene while placing their hope on God. Thus, balancing faith with reason, as the words of faith and reason are sometimes erroneously conflated.

Viral pandemics rest on a single proposition that there is a universal human nature which struggles with the visitation of God notwithstanding the elitist preference to the contrary.
The trajectory of every pandemic is that; it always takes it course. Covid-19 will surely pass.

1 Like

Re: Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic by bishopadebayo(m): 11:36am On May 04, 2020
Front page material

1 Like

Re: Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic by bishopadebayo(m): 11:37am On May 04, 2020
Great read, thanks op for this piece .

1 Like

Re: Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic by Drcraze: 11:40am On May 04, 2020
Nice writeup and well done.

Can I get your contact info, I've got to pick your brain on some project of mine.

1 Like

Re: Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic by whothiefmymoney(m): 11:56am On May 04, 2020
Front page please

1 Like

Re: Philosophical Perspectives On Covid-19 Pandemic by RealUncleJohn(m): 12:32pm On May 04, 2020
Drcraze:
Nice writeup and well done.

Can I get your contact info, I've got to pick your brain on some project of mine.

(1) (Reply)

Validating Covid-19 Reports / Reno Omokri Is A Fraud And A Charlatan / BREAKING: 143 Dead As Nigeria’s COVID-19 Cases Rise To 4,399

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.