Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,962 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? (5854 Views)

Glo Data Prices Has Increase Including Night Plan / Data Prices Reduces As Min Of Communication Gives Order (see New Price List) / MTN Slashes Data Prices, Unveils Incentives For New Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 04, 2020
Recent mobile data price cuts by the country’s largest mobile operators may not be enough to make internet connectivity truly affordable for all South Africans, say analysts.

Telecom operators have recently reduced data prices after a two-year investigation by the Competition Commission found that internet rates for prepaid packages were too high.

After an announcement in March that it will drop data prices for its 30-day bundles by up to 50% from mid-April, on Thursday MTN reached an agreement with the commission to reduce its mobile data prices from May 1. This follows similar agreements with Vodacom, Telkom and Cell C.

As part of the agreement, the cost of MTN’s 1GB monthly data bundle, which has been the subject of much scrutiny by commission authorities, will fall from R149 to R99.

Arthur Goldstuck, MD of technology market research firm World Wide Worx, said these price cuts are “a good start, and one cannot dismiss a 33% rate cut as a token. Small data bundles have been cut by up to 40%, which makes a significant impact on the affordability of data.”

However, “this still does not address the need for truly low-cost data for the poor”, he said.

Goldstuck said data prices have been falling for many years for those who can afford large bundles. “Now it is falling for those further down the spending chain,” though “it still needs to reach the bottom of the pyramid, namely those who perceive themselves as being able to use data only on an ad hoc basis, don’t believe they can afford large bundles, and therefore use data off their airtime, which remains expensive.”

Mobile operators are expecting margins to take a hit because of the price cuts.

MTN has 29-million subscribers on its network and has been working to grow its data revenues. For the financial year to end-December 2019, MTN made R12.6bn in revenue from its data services in SA.

Ofentse Dazela, director of pricing research at information communication technology consulting company Africa Analysis, said as mobile operators are not transparent about their input costs, such as how much it costs to deliver a gigabyte of data, “then the next logical yardstick is [to] look at revenue numbers reported to assess whether the price cuts are acceptable, although revenue numbers alone only tell half the story”.

Vodacom, SA’s largest operator, cut mobile data prices by up to 40% from April 1.

Dazela said is is obvious that larger mobile operators “have only moved as far as matching their data offerings to that offered by small operators in the market that have been pushing price wars”. To that extent, there is still more room for data prices to fall in the local market, he said.

With mobile operators having been pressured into making concessions, regulators and legislators must also shoulder part of the blame.

As far as operators are concerned, “the issue regarding perceived high data prices should be blamed on our policymakers who for years showed lack of political will to create an enabling environment for them”, said Dazela.

The government should expedite the permanent allocation of spectrum, which operators have long argued as a reason for high data prices over the past decade, he said.

Goldstuck said the commission and the mobile network operators had failed in one regard: while they had declared a range of predetermined sites and services as zero-rated, they had failed to create a unified pool of these sites.

Instead, each operator had created their own independent set of zero-rated sites. This means one of the main benefits of zero-rating, which is to provide free access to educational resources, cannot address the need or potential of schools to offer their students access to free educational material, he said.

Because every subscriber has access to a different set of sites and services, a school cannot mandate use of specific free services, and only those schools whose students can afford commercial access are able to take advantage of online teaching, said Goldstuck.

If this is addressed, the only barrier to entry becomes the device itself, and that is far easier to address than the combination of complexity of access and disjointedness of resources, he said.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/amp/bd/companies/telecoms-and-technology/2020-05-03-mtn-lowers-data-prices-but-is-it-enough/

Cc: lalasticlacla

Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 04, 2020
Cant same be done in Nigeria after posting huge profits here...

https://www.nairaland.com/5826312/mtn-nigeria-made-51-billion

1 Like

Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 8:21pm On May 04, 2020
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by otunbalamba: 10:19pm On May 04, 2020
angry
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by edoairways: 10:38pm On May 04, 2020
Esseite:
Cant same be done in Nigeria after posting huge profits here...

https://www.nairaland.com/5826312/mtn-nigeria-made-51-billion
Over here they face multiple taxes, high cost of diesel etc. Or does MTN SA's base station rely on Diesel for power? MTN made about N51B because their subscriber base is about 70m compare to SA couple with the fact that they enjoy large economies of scale. If those factors are considered MTN Nigeria and others may have a rethink.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by DrPurple(m): 10:47pm On May 04, 2020
Wetin Consign me If it is not in Nigeria.
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by peteruche49(m): 11:31pm On May 04, 2020
During this lockdown, are you still broke when you have a smartphone?
You still while away time on Facebook and WhatsApp instead of making money?

Let me tell you, you can make over N2m plus even before the end of next month if you follow my lead properly.

Lol. Calm down! I'm not going to tell you to give me money as any investment rubbish.

Considering the rise in crypto currencies especially, Bitcoin, you are in a very swift way in generating more than enough money provided that you have self-discipline.

I'll have to stop here but if you are ready for this, follow this link for the start up process
https:///2yKDXs3.

Message me on essentialpeter6@gmail.com for more details after your first income.
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by backtalkG(m): 11:45pm On May 04, 2020
old and recycled news
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by CYBERWEAVER(m): 8:14am On May 05, 2020
Not Nigeria mtcheew
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by Salvavibe: 8:40am On May 05, 2020
the only thing those guys know, is how to drink your data when you're asleep
https://www.nowviba.com/
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by Trofmoc1: 9:03am On May 05, 2020
Well, it's gotten a little bit cheaper than before. At least before, we buy 1gb for #500 naira. But now 1gb is sold for #350/#400 with one month Validity. You may call me on 08169320028 to know more.
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by Nobody: 10:38am On May 05, 2020
Low priced furniture now available at www.buyrattanfurniture.com
We soure, shop and deliver to your doorstep.
chat or call us on: 09030009675

#kingsofrattanfurniture
#stayhome
#staysafe

Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by freelancerrr: 11:13am On May 05, 2020
Emptyhen

1 Like

Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by KrazyDave16(m): 11:32am On May 05, 2020
Mtcheww.

Thought it was for Nigerians
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by thenumberspeopl: 4:24pm On May 05, 2020
Contact us let's help you register your Company, Business or NGO with CAC and prepare a 30 pages business plan for securing a loan with Bank and individuals. We would also give you a value added post business operation advice.

Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by Tifunloran: 5:08pm On May 05, 2020
At least before, we buy 1gb for #500 naira. But now 1gb is sold for #400 with one month Validity.
You may Whatsapp me on Zero hate Zero 37 sixty 4 forty one 53 to get it
Re: MTN Lowers Data Prices, But Is It Enough? by mzfash1(f): 6:42am On May 06, 2020
Is SME data goin at your end?
if yes please call me on 09037916461
to buy in bulk from you.

(1) (Reply)

The Glo Thread - Share Your Experience / Issue With My New Infinix S4(Please Help) / Pls My E6 Gets Too Hot And I Hav Sent It To Nokia Care Here In Abuja Andi Took 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.