Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,984 members, 7,828,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Atiku To Go Back To Acn? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku To Go Back To Acn? (2985 Views)

Senators Visit Atiku To Show Their Support For Saraki As Senate President (Pic) / Buhari Sends Atiku To SA To Lobby Zuma For Adesina.....premium Times.(PIX) / Atiku To Buhari: Reverse PHCN Privatisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Olaedo1: 7:30pm On Jan 11, 2011
The ACN woulduld not accept Atiku. This is just an open invitation for GEJ to join then in case the northerners go behind his back and screw him out of the primaries. Smart move.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Gbawe: 7:31pm On Jan 11, 2011
Missy85:

lets stop going round in circles.

acn's most high profile aspirant is Ribadu, but i think most agree he's unlike to win a presidential election in April.

H/e, if acn can marry his popularity with the youths with the resources that a sitting president brings to the table, the outlook for acn come april will be better right?

Thats what i meant.

I hear they are also talking to the Cpc, which means acn is prob not persuaded they can win with Ribadu alone.

It seems you don't know the real thinking and mindset of the ACN , and indeed most Nigerian Political Parties, at all. Regardless of what the Party says in public about zoning the ACN will go with a Northern Presidential candidate and a Southern VP. Nothing will change that formula . Not even the allure of an incumbent President.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Missy85(f): 7:31pm On Jan 11, 2011
Gbawe, you are prob right.

All i'm saying is the political space is too dirty & underhand to discount anything.

I dont support anyone, so am canvassing no one's interest.

Thanks for shedding light. I thought atiku had a lot of following in the north.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by ekubear1: 7:33pm On Jan 11, 2011
Gbawe:

Regardless of what the Party says in public about zoning the ACN will go with a Northern Presidential candidate and a Southern VP. Nothing will change that formula . Not even the allure of an incumbent President.
What is the political rationale for this? Seems a bit too rigid thinking, no?
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Missy85(f): 7:36pm On Jan 11, 2011
regarding acn and a northern candidate, am surprised by your comment, and not persuaded that if GEJ is available come Wednesday evening, acn will eschew the prospect of a Gej/Ribadu connection. Surely they will consider it?
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Gbawe: 8:00pm On Jan 11, 2011
eku_bear:

What is the political rationale for this? Seems a bit too rigid thinking, no?

I am talking pragmatically. Politicians are know for PC (politically correct ) utterances that is the opposite of what they are thinking. How many[b] Prominent [/b] Parties are defying zoning by fielding a non-Northern Presidential candidate? Even Jonathan would not be in the position he is in if Yar Adua had not died. We cannot gain the leaders we want if we continue to be several steps behind them in thinking. That makes us pawns , decieved to think one way, when the political establishment has decided to act differently . The political establishment had already settled for zoning and a Northern President in 2011. The emergence of GEJ was an 'accident' no one planned for. If we are then to abolish zoning the most pragmatic of analysts may surmise that it is unwise to do so when it is the most clannish region that loses out especially when OBJ had an uninterrupted 8 years on behalf of the South. Believe me , Tinubu and co know the real thinking and mindset of the political establishment many of us may be too idealist to fathom.

For me , it was always about gaining the best Northerner possible. Sadly , that is what our aggregated national level of maturation and our current situation can handle . Let us not forget that , in our thinking, we must include many poorly educated Nigerians who are more clannish ,than politically sophisticated, in their allegiance. Our leaders know this too and it shows in their unforced actions. If ACN believes it is anyones turn then they do not need the current rigmarole with Ribadu, Buhari or Bafawara when the one non-Northern Nigerian likely to win a Presidential election is already in their rank i.e Fashola.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by ekubear1: 8:12pm On Jan 11, 2011
You paint a picture in which Tinubu and the ACN are no different from the existing political establishment.

"Best northerner", "best from region X" is a bad recipe for governing a country. Nigeria will never progress if the existing political establishment is kept intact. It needs to be broken and rebuilt. But from what you say, the ACN is part of that existing bad political structure (as evidenced by you admitting that they adhere to zoning).

Or am I misunderstanding your words? If not, then I'm more than a bit disappointed. In the ACN to a large extent, but moreso in what can be achieved in Nigeria over the next decade or so.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Gbawe: 8:32pm On Jan 11, 2011
eku_bear:

You paint a picture in which Tinubu and the ACN are no different from the existing political establishment.

"Best northerner", "best from region X" is a bad recipe for governing a country. Nigeria will never progress if the existing political establishment is kept intact. It needs to be broken and rebuilt. But from what you say, the ACN is part of that existing bad political structure (as evidenced by you admitting that they adhere to zoning).

Or am I misunderstanding your words? If not, then I'm more than a bit disappointed. In the ACN to a large extent, but moreso in what can be achieved in Nigeria over the next decade or so.

I don't care for zoning myself but I can afford to be idealist like that because I am not a politician who has to deal with the reality of what is politically achieveable as opposed to what the well-educated minorities want to happen. Wether we want to admit it or not , the North is the most clannish region in Nigeria. It is also a very relevant region in the electoral scheme of things . Do you think , despite all the talk, you can sell the candidacy of GEJ to the average Northerner at a time when he is already of the opinion that his region's turn is being usurped by GEJ, "wicked" OBJ and other "treacherous"Southerners? This is the reality the likes of Tinubu have to confront when making the choice of candidates to field. Effective politics is a fine balance of idealism and pragmatism. Pointless being idealist at a time when the electorate remain many stages behind you in sophisticated thinking and ideology.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Nsiman(m): 8:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
Beaf, i like the caption. ACN knws that Atiku is their own may be they just threw him back to the pdp to cause wrangling in it and return. Whichever is the case, all political parties in nigeria are made up of the same mind, pdp <> acn<> anpp <> cpc<> etc yet we blame pdp for our woes
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by sbeezy8: 8:58pm On Jan 11, 2011
ACN just playing POLITICS

ACN knows Ribadu cannot beat Jonathan
ACN will not have alliance with Buhari/CPC- its impossible Buhari is the FLAG bearer for CPC and its Final
ACN know Jonathan WILL in in 2011- they just want to weaken PDP for the next election.

ACN seems to be building its base around Northerners AND SS/SE-

what better way to get support for future elections than to have a northern candidate with a VP from the SS/SE on the platform of a seemingly yoruba party.

If anything the NEXT presidential candidate in the 2015 or 2019 election will be most likely a tinubu or fashola type guy. All na politics.

BUT I WANT ACN TO REMAIN A REGIONAL YORUBA YESS!!! YORUBA PARTY. grass roots with the people of the SW.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by jason123: 9:07pm On Jan 11, 2011
sbeezy8:

ACN just playing POLITICS

ACN knows Ribadu cannot beat Jonathan
ACN will not have alliance with Buhari/CPC- its impossible Buhari is the FLAG bearer for CPC and its Final
ACN know Jonathan WILL in in 2011- they just want to weaken PDP for the next election.

ACN seems to be building its base around Northerners AND SS/SE-

what better way to get support for future elections than to have a northern candidate with a VP from the SS/SE on the platform of a seemingly yoruba party.

If anything the NEXT presidential candidate in the 2015 or 2019 election will be most likely a tinubu or fashola type guy. All na politics.

BUT I WANT ACN TO REMAIN A REGIONAL YORUBA YESS!!! YORUBA PARTY. grass with the people of the SW.

I agree with some of your points however, I disagree with the regional party stuff. The reason is, I want the country to have a foundation of free education and health services and I think ACN would deliver that. The reason why they cannot do that now is because people from other parts of the country would come to the various states they control and run it bankrupt. Once the country has a GOOD FOUNDATION (where politicians would not be able to use the citizens since they are literates), then, we can start talking of other things but now, I would still support a Ribadu OR buhari/ utomi or duke ticket even Chime would do but NO to a tinubu or Ngige VP. MO!
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by HamidO1(m): 9:08pm On Jan 11, 2011
Nsiman:

Beaf, i like the caption. ACN knws that Atiku is their own may be they just threw him back to the pdp to cause wrangling in it and return. Whichever is the case, all political parties in nigeria are made up of the same mind, pdp <> acn<> anpp <> cpc<> etc yet we blame pdp for our woes

We blame them because they've been in power for 11years and some people still live on less than a dollar per day. Do you have a problem with that??
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by jason123: 9:09pm On Jan 11, 2011
Hamid O:

We blame them because they've been in power for 11years and some people still live on less than a dollar per day. Do you have a problem with that??
cheesy cheesy cheesy but GBAM!!!
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by sbeezy8: 9:18pm On Jan 11, 2011
jason123:

I agree with some of your points however, I disagree with the regional party stuff. The reason is, I want the country to have a foundation of free education and health services and I think ACN would deliver that. The reason why they cannot do that now is because people from other parts of the country would come to the various states they control and run it bankrupt. Once the country has a GOOD FOUNDATION (where politicians would not be able to use the citizens since they are literates), then, we can start talking of other things but now, I would still support a Ribadu OR buhari/ utomi or duke ticket even Chime would do but NO to a tinubu or Ngige VP. MO!

ACN should control the west APGA east and ANPP north. middle bel niger delta split

If tinubu was to contest he would have the whole of the SW maybe edo and ATLEAST half of the north and middle belt, the states around the country will be split between other canidates. I guarantee it.

I see Tinubu like another Mko factor Ribadu cant be president and Buhari is OLD, too religous ( among the first  TO CAMPAIGN FOR SHARIA) why would any sane southerner want to vote him as president? Its alarming how much southeners support Buhari yet he doesnt believe in federalism or Secular laws.

Im nt talking of 2011 election but 2015-beyond
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Nsiman(m): 9:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
@ jason 123, have in mind that if pdp falls out of power, members of pdp will decamp to the ruling party just as experienced in some states and the whole pdp movie will be either replayed or will continue playing and ur dream of education will be a mirrage. The solution is not about political party but who has the will to govern, and what the electorates want if govt refuses to implement we demonstrate to the appropriate quarters not shying away and stuff like that.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by jason123: 9:58pm On Jan 11, 2011
Nsiman:

@ jason 123, have in mind that if pdp falls out of power, members of pdp will decamp to the ruling party just as experienced in some states and the whole pdp movie will be either replayed or will continue playing and your dream of education will be a mirrage. The solution is not about political party but who has the will to govern, and what the electorates want if govt refuses to implement we demonstrate to the appropriate quarters not shying away and stuff like that.

I guess you are right. Good one!
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by ekubear1: 9:59pm On Jan 11, 2011
sbeezy8:

ACN should control the west APGA east and ANPP north. middle bel niger delta split

I don't like this at all. I don't want them fully in charge of the SW at all. Let there be strong opposition to them. Ideally the Labour Party remains distinct. Hopefully the PDP SW cleans up its act and also presents a suitable choice. Ideally, political power is divided up between many parties in the SW, rather than the monopoly of any one.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Jan 11, 2011
Nsiman:

@ jason 123, have in mind that if pdp falls out of power, members of pdp will decamp to the ruling party just as experienced in some states and the whole pdp movie will be either replayed or will continue playing and your dream of education will be a mirrage. The solution is not about political party but who has the will to govern, and what the electorates want if govt refuses to implement we demonstrate to the appropriate quarters not shying away and stuff like that.

I can't believe that came from you !!  shocked shocked

Bravo!!
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Beaf: 12:48am On Jan 12, 2011
Gbawe: Only Alj Harem1 is close with his April fool quip. The rest of you , sorry to say , are clearly deluded and uninformed . The ACN is at the heights of its power. Everyday , the Party is gaining credibility as a serious opponent to the PDP yet some of you posit that the ACN will destroy every advantage it has worked hard to gain by re-admitting a lightweight political cast-off/p.rostitute from the PDP when the same man humiliated the Party previously with how he grovelled to return to the PDP , from the then AC Party, while insinuating that the AC Party cannot help him actualise his ambition? This article is intellectual junk written by the usual 'Olodo' mudslingers from team GEJ. Who talked about Atiku before he became consensus candidate? WHo will talk about him , let alone give him a platform, once he has lost to Jonathan

You mean Joe Brock of Reuters works for team GEJ? I think that is really streeeeeeeetching things. grin

@topic
Lets stop this holier than thou attitude with the ACN (or any other political party), it is simply dishonest. All Nigeria's political parties have members who are corrupt to cringe-worthy levels, and by the way, Atiku is ex-ACN, so there will be no big deal if he makes his way back; ACN's chairman, Akande's statements are nothing but an open invitation.
The singular issue every progressive Nigerian (especially the youth) should be concerned about, is how to purge the likes of Atiku, IBB and other massively corrupt individuals and their cabals from the political scene, regardless of party affiliation.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Gbawe: 1:23am On Jan 12, 2011
Beaf:

You mean Joe Brock of Reuters works for team GEJ? I think that is really streeeeeeeetching things. grin

My friend,  partisan Nigerian newsources, controlled by Nigerian politicians,  deliberately feed erroneous news to world media regularly to distort the real picture of the actual state of events . It is the oldest trick in the book when there is a propaganda war to be won. I remember in 2006 when an American news agency (wether na reuters sef) stated that Kalu was the top contender for the Presidency because he had "structures on the ground" . I had a good laugh because it was obvious deception was at work . Few days later the SUN (owned by Kalu) printed the same story word for word . grin grin

I don't  know if this makes sense to any right-thinking person:

The opposition Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) party is due to hold its primaries a day later, potentially allowing the losing PDP candidate to run for its ticket.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by jaygetta1: 1:59am On Jan 12, 2011
If Atiku (or Bayelsa Cowboy) is allowed to run to run under the banner of CAN then it will confirm what is buried deepest in my heart but I refuse to (out of denial, I guess) admit, that: All Nigerian Politicians, and their, parties are mostly made up of crooks without any ideology to stand on except, of course, that of making as much money as possible via state coffers. Or how else do we explain the so called "Progressive Party" fielding someone that has been confirmed as enriching himself while Vice President and one who is currently doing so as President?
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Gbawe: 2:34am On Jan 12, 2011
jay_getta:

If Atiku (or Bayelsa Cowboy) is allowed to run to run under the banner of CAN then it will confirm what is buried deepest in my heart but I refuse to (out of denial, I guess) admit, that: All Nigerian Politicians, and their, parties are mostly made up of crooks without any ideology to stand on except, of course, that of making as much money as possible via state coffers. Or how else do we explain the so called "Progressive Party" fielding someone that has been confirmed as enriching himself while Vice President and one who is currently doing so as President?

It won't happen . We all forget that outside the PDP , and minus the callous rigging power of "the biggest Party in Africa", Jonathan and Atiku would be very poor candidates for any opposition Party that still has to earn its victory against the incumbent ruling Party. Tinubu is  no fool . He will realise a return of Atiku to the ACN , on the back of a very public defeat at the PDP Primaries, will mean that the credibility of the ACN, as a serious opposition Party in waiting, is destroyed irreparably. Taking Jonathan on will have its drawback as well because the ACN will not be able to win with him since the PDP will now have a Northern candidate all the North and the PDP machinery can fall behind against a President now on the ticket of a Party outside Governance. Atiku and Jonathan do not fit the plans of the ACN. If it is obvious to some of us then it will be obvious to Tinubu and the ACN decision makers.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Beaf: 4:20am On Jan 12, 2011
Gbawe:

My friend, partisan Nigerian newsources, controlled by Nigerian politicians, deliberately feed erroneous news to world media regularly to distort the real picture of the actual state of events . It is the oldest trick in the book when there is a propaganda war to be won. I remember in 2006 when an American news agency (wether na reuters sef) stated that Kalu was the top contender for the Presidency because he had "structures on the ground" . I had a good laugh because it was obvious deception was at work . Few days later the SUN (owned by Kalu) printed the same story word for word . grin grin

He was quoting the ACN chairman, Akande.
Also, Joe Brock works for Reuters, not any part of the Nigerian press.

[Quote author=jay_getta]
If Atiku (or Bayelsa Cowboy) is allowed to run to run under the banner of CAN then it will confirm what is buried deepest in my heart but I refuse to (out of denial, I guess) admit, that: All Nigerian Politicians, and their, parties are mostly made up of crooks without any ideology to stand on except, of course, that of making as much money as possible via state coffers. Or how else do we explain the so called "Progressive Party" fielding someone that has been confirmed as enriching himself while Vice President and one who is currently doing so as President? [/Quote]

As soon as you accept the bolded, you will know exactly where to stand. There is no progressive party, rather there are a few genuine and dedicated people who have risen through the murk in the various parties by dint of character. They are the likes of Jonathan, Ribadu (question marks), El Rufai, Fashola, Sule Lamido, Sullivan Chime, Amaechi etc.

The most popular example in the SW is Fashola, yet he was propped up for the position as a stooge to Tinubu (who is known to be a drug baron); he played the fool, got into position and became his own man by the second year, the rest is history (as are his sapping battles with Tinubu's various attempts to impeach him).
The stories of the other men mentioned are all similar, they all played along to climb.

It is important that the youth allow the scales fall from their eyes, there is no progressive party in Nigeria, there is none that even has an ideology.
If Nigeria is to have any sort of future. We need to support these men and kick out the old bats, vultures, blood suckers, thieves, murderers, coup plotters, cabals etc that have held our country in their grip since the 60's. It will take time, vision and wisdom.
Our reward will be the institutionalisation of true federalism; a national ideology citizens can key into and believe in, in place of the current void; a state-citizen contract that converts our country from the mere piece of land our ancestors were born on, into a nation to which we all proudly belong.

Nigeria must never again be hostage to the primitive politics of zoning, theft and blinding corruption. The power is in our hands to sweep the vultures away forever, but we must first harness the power of our minds to see through the haze.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by johndoe200: 4:55am On Jan 12, 2011
@Beaf

I agree with most of what you say, but I cannot accept your inclusion of Ribadu.

Given the relatively Junior position he occupied, he has shown his true dictatorial nature. What would happen if he was made President?

He lacks any experience which would qualify him as a presidential candidate. Can you imagine the Director of the FBI standing for the office of President of the USA without any other political position? What would people think if the head of the Fraud Squad in New Scotland Yard decided to contest for The PM position in the UK.

Ribadu is a newspaper creation and at best a distraction.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by jaygetta1: 5:21am On Jan 12, 2011
And why wouldnt/couldnt the head of the FBI aspire to become President of the United States if this country was rife with unbelievable corruption like Nigeria? If he's eligible to contest, he can throw his hat in the ring. @Beaf: I agree with ur analysis;with a clause. Knowing that u have unflinchingly supported GEJ, I will only agree with u,WHOLEHEARTEDLY, if u also opine that GEJ is among the "ones" we need to get rid of in order to raise the country to the status it deserves!
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by akoraye(m): 10:13am On Jan 12, 2011
Nobody can stop those decamping from PDP to ACN cos is their citizenship right.they can turn a new leave afterall !
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Gbawe: 11:14am On Jan 12, 2011
@Eku_bear.

Note the region of origin of those who want the ACN ticket and you will see what I am talking about. Ditto for CPC, ANPP et al . Don't look to any Nigerian Party , right now, for ground-shaking idealism and 100% undiluted democratic conduct . They are all flawed , as per the environment they have to operate in , but some still facilitate progress while others are completely about looting , underdevelopment and regression. Don't think the ACN to be what it is not lest you will be dissapointed . Just view it as the better evil for now.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/acn-holds-secret-screening-for-presidential-aspirants/

ABUJA—The Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, yesterday, went into hiding to screen the four presidential aspirants that collected the nomination form to run the presidential race on its platform.

The four front runners are pioneer Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, former governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Atahiru Bafarawa, former scribe of the party, Alhaji Usman Bugaje, and Mallam Siedu Malami.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by otokx(m): 11:34am On Jan 12, 2011
It wont be long now.
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by Nsiman(m): 12:23pm On Jan 12, 2011
May they continue to hide, gej and pdp pass them
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by aspabay(m): 2:02pm On Jan 12, 2011
[quote from:akoraye ][/Nobody can stop those decamping from PDP to ACN cos is their citizenship right.they can turn a new leave afterall !]
true talk
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by aspabay(m): 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2011
from Akoraye
[/Nobody can stop those decamping from PDP to ACN cos is their citizenship right.they can turn a new leave afterall]
Re: Atiku To Go Back To Acn? by zuuby(m): 2:39pm On Jan 12, 2011
i love politics

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Airtel 30naira Internet Available! Screenshorts / PDP Begs Obasanjo For Forgiveness / Interview Of Loius Farrakhan By Mike Wallace In 2000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.